Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure you guys can find some more that you've seen, but here are a couple glaring examples that have struck me in the last few days:
  • FocusSport's "Canyon Tested" ad - Two ZX3's, side by side, straddling a double-yellow line, on what is presumably a public roadway. Ron, do you even bother looking at the ads when they come in?

• SCC's current cover page - Two cars, lined up on a public street, replete with "Fast and Furious" line start...way to sell to the lowest common denominator, Primedia!

I'm not anti-FJ or anti-FS, I'm anti-street racing, as well as you all should be. Take it to the track, or you could be the next one losing their legs in a pointless accident.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
if they are smart...and I am sure they are..they are on closed streets with professional drivers..

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well SCC has been running street racing articles for some time now so it doesn't suprise me to se another street racing cover, and as far as the FocusSport ad it has been discussed in their forum so here you go. click here

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Well SCC has done a few write-ups on street racing, and doesn't appear to have the same "hard line" against street racing that FJ has.

However FocusSport "legally" had that road closed for their video shoot. So there was no street racing!

·
Premium Member
5,524 Posts
Randy actually addressed the FS ad here.

The canyon tested, well we actually closed off part of the Sierra Madre's canyon road so that we could legally conduct the photo shoot.
As for SCC/Primedia, I'm really starting to wonder why I should renew my subscription to that magazine. It's been months and months since they've really addressed the Focus in any meaningful way. What else does that magazine offer me? Street racing crap, drifting nonsense, and tons of imports that I'll never even begin to care about.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Of course they very possibly could be, just as you said, staged on closed roads with very capable professional drivers behind the wheel. Is that the first thing you though of when you saw those pictures? I didn't think so. Do they compel me to go out and drive like a maniac and race on public roads? Not me personally, but many wouldn't think twice about revving on someone and going light-to-light.

Edit: Thanks for the schooling regarding the FocusSport ad....I really had no idea. The very same thing may apply to the SCC cover as well.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Many Magazines have no problem with street racing. I understand its not something this site cares for. However that does not mean its not happening! Of course a few pics or articales will be posted or talked about. I bet more then half the people registered on this site race on the street weekly. Rather this site directly supports it or not its still a forum that supports go faster parts and conversations and meetingt GTGs etc.

I dont think there is a double standard, just perhaps not as sharp an eye as you would obviously like.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The Focus Sport banner, was conducted on a CLOSED road, as evident by this topic right here.

One can only hope that SCC had a closed course as well.

PS I don't read replies at all, so sue me.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
what ever happened to Project SVT Focus??

I have the first installment when they are getting it built at Ford..but nothing after that...

whats the deal??

Although I like the concept of drifting..it seems that SCC and Super Street are now featuring almost all High end Street and Drift cars from Japan that we cant get here..

whats the point??

I do like this months SCC since they feature 6 different street sleepers..but I am getting very tired of this "japan only" supercar crap..

Super Street is very notorious for doing this feature 5 japan supercars every single fricking month with no chance of getting them over here..

·
Registered
62 Posts
I couldnt give a crap less if people street race. Just be smart enough to do it some place in the middle of nowhere, where you can only hurt yourself if ya wanna be stupid.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
I don't like the fact that Sport Compact Car does bits on street racing. A cover like this issue's provokes the street racing image – whether they legally shot it or not. The message is blatent – when I first saw the cover my thought was they were doing a story on some underground street racing scene.

In one column they're talking about how mindless and idiotic racing on the street is, then they talk about taking a car up to 150 and have covers like the current one. I don't think it's the right thing to do "morally". However, I still like Sport Compact Car – I think it's a great mag with good content.

As for the FS ad, I think that by saying that promotes street racing is a bit of a stretch. I've been looking at that ad since it debuted and never for a second thought it was street racing.

Working for a magazine, I sit through cover meetings and you wouldn't believe how much time and effort goes into generating a cover. I'm sure they had alternates for the cover image but figured that this was the best cover to rope in newsstand buyers (I just got out of a newsstand/circulation meeting). It'd be interesting to be able to see SCC's sell-through data (amount sold) for this cover compared to previous non street-racing covers. I would bet street racing sells – look at The Fast and the Furious and 2F2F.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I actually bought that issue of SCC a day ago and I was also suprised to see that SCC was actually giving a thumbs up to street racing. I mean the sleeper cars in there were awesome (a Hyundai w/ a cyclone motor!!
A Datsun Z with a V8??
Plus a manual SC300 w/ turbo!!
) but promoting them as street racers and just not driver's cars was not cool.

I have to admit, I do some street racing once in a while so I can't say I'm 100% clean myself but as a public magazine I think SCC made a mistake.

As for the FocusSport...nah...they're just promoting their cool looking cars on a closed track.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think if you guys want a magazine that is technical and supports the actual racing venues....you need to look at Modified Magazine I love that magazine...its defently more informative then SCC....they tell you all about the nitty gritty stuff and shy away from the full on body conversions people do for a Honda CRX to make it look like a Ferrari....i give this magazine 50 million thumbs up

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Grass Roots Motorsports is another great magazine!

BTW: The Hyundai has the 4G63 engine, but it does say Cyclone on the intake manifold. What is a "Cyclone" engine? I thought Hitokiri was talking about the GMC Cyclone at first.
The "Cyclone" intake is a JDM intake manifold for the 4G63. I *think* it has some cool variable length trickery, but I can't recall.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
in fact... if you do buy the mag... you'll see on the TOC under the "Cover Story"

Street racing is bad. Street racing is bad. Street racing is bad. Street racing is bad.
Street racing is bad. Street racing is bad. Street racing is bad. Street racing is bad.
Now that the lawyers are happy turn to <font color="red">page 56</font> and check out six
of L.A.'s baddest street sleepers--
Photography by Les Bidrawn

As a journalistic publication.... SCC is not necessarily condoning or endorsing any behavior... they are writing about what IS happening. They're reporting cars that are well built and are MAJOR Sleepers.

Don't hate the sports reporter... hate the game!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts