Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I haven't posted in a while, but I have a question. Does anyone know how difficult it is to replace a front strut? My friend's SE has a bent strut up front, and i'm trying to see if we can do it ourselves. Also, the mechanic suggested replacing both even though the right one is fine. What you think? Thanks.

·
Ho, ho, ho... Green Giant
4,287 Posts
i have yet to do it on my car, but i've replaced the struts on a few others (89 Thunderbird / 89 MX6 GT) and it's definetely a DIY job. Consult a repair manual for the blow-by-blow, but it should be pretty self explanatory. You will need to rent a strut srping compressor, but that can be found at almost any parts store for cheap. as far as replacing both goes, it's a good idea for a couple of reasons. 1 is the old headlight analogy: if one's burnt out, the other isn't far behind it. another reason is that the ride characteristics of the car tend to change as a shock wears. if you only replace one, the rest of the car will be kinda soft while that corner will ride a little stiffer. it won't necessarily hurt anything, but it will affect the ride and driving characteristics of the car.

Mike

·
Registered
242 Posts
I've had the struts off of my SE sedan twice now.Once for SVT springs and just recently to upgrade the dampers themselves.
While I've had jetters around with experience to help out I did do most of the damper and rear bar job myself.
No squeaks and nothing has fallen apart yet.

If I can do it you guys can.

Be happy to answer any questions you may have when you get ready to do it.

rich

1 - 3 of 3 Posts