Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good tire to run in STS, other then the Azenis Sport? I’m looking for something that will have as good of performance but will hold up to the occasional track day. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
744 Posts
as far as a track day... I can't speak... but for my Dunlop SP Sport FM901s (bought from tirerack I belive) they're kick arse. I have 205/40/16 and I auto-x them once a month... they take a beating and then some... I've only got about 3000 miles on em... but I love them... and if I didn't know the AVS ES100s weren't better... I would buy another set

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
The Kumho Ecsta MX is a viable alternative Multiple National Tours have been won on this tire.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Bridgestone Pole Position S0-3 in a 205/50-16--expensive but Sticky

BFG-KD in a 205/50-15--also expensive...but fast.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good tire to run in STS, other then the Azenis Sport? I’m looking for something that will have as good of performance but will hold up to the occasional track day. Any suggestions?
Why do you think that the Azenis will not hold up on track? I have nothing but good luck with mine.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Why do you think that the Azenis will not hold up on track? I have nothing but good luck with mine.

Some feel that when they get to hot, the Falkens get greasy and a bit "nervous" when pushed 10/10ths. I have done nothing but parking lot events, so I can not offer much comment, but I have noticed a lot of fast STS SOLO2 guys watering down their Falkens after each run to keep them cool (we had a whole thread regarding that subject a few weeks ago).

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have talked to a few people that have said the same thing as Auto-X-ZTS.

I was really looking for the Hankook R-compound tire, I figured I would get them and move up in to SM. But unfortunately they won’t be available for some time.

I’m also trying the stay in the range of a 205 or 215/45 or somewhere in that ballpark.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Do a search for Dirtlab 2000 in this forum. I have a pretty decent amount of track time on Azenis and have posted my attempts at negating the overheating myth here before.

·
Registered
723 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where do you get your Azenis, and are you having them shaved.

·
Registered
723 Posts
really? thats interesting. my falkens got really greasy at willow springs. at the very end of each lap session they would start to get a little skittish. i'm not saying you're wrong and i'm right, it's just my personal experience with them. hell, i could've been overdriving them.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Where do you get your Azenis, and are you having them shaved.
As large as the Treadblocks are on an Azenis, There's not much advantage to "Shaving", PLUS, they get considerably harder as you wear further into them.
I know some of it is "Heat-Cycling", but I Truly Believe that the compound is Harder once you get to the Wear-Bars.
The Next-Generation Azenis are supposed to be designed to get less Greasy when Hot.
For Auto-X, I truly think that Watering Azenis is Pointless, UNLESS you're doing Back-to-Back runs with little time in between.
W/ regards to Spike's post,.... Are you sure that ALL the tires weren't getting more greasy toward the end?
Some tracks just do that as conditions change and rubber/etc. is put down.
I'm not saying that you're wrong, just looking for other potentialities....

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
The Kumho Ecsta MX is a viable alternative Multiple National Tours have been won on this tire.
This sounds like a GREAT Recommendation to me, though I understand that it is MORE of a Compromise than the Azenis, depending on the surface.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
W/ regards to Spike's post,.... Are you sure that ALL the tires weren't getting more greasy toward the end?
My tires werent getting greasy at all. Neither were anybody elses that I talked to. Of course most of us were running Rs, but my friend David (the SE-R) was running street tires as were Kee, and Jay. And I can attest to the fact that his Azenis are in good condition, as they are sitting in my garage right now.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Are you sure that ALL the tires weren't getting more greasy toward the end?
no, i'm pretty sure it was just me. also, the tires would get greasy at the end of each session (not the end of the day) and they would be fine after they cooled off.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This sounds like a GREAT Recommendation to me, though I understand that it is MORE of a Compromise than the Azenis, depending on the surface.
The only real disadvantage for me to run the Kumho Ecsta MX are that I would have to go with a 205/55/16. Which are slightly larger then the stock SVT tires, also I have the Rota Grids with a 40mm offset so there could be a rubbing issue.

Has anyone given the Yokohama Parada Spec-2 any consideration, seams like they have pretty decent ratings on the Tire Rack sight.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts