Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 focus, 5 speed, no mods. I sometimes have a problem where the car will stumble a bit. Its kind of random but the 2 times that its been the worst were right after taking a right handed turn at pretty close to the limits of the car and ending the turn in 4th gear at around 40 mph. One time was just kind of a light stumble but the most recent was a lot harder, like it wanted to stall. A few seconds later and after dropping down to 3rd all was fine again. Also this seems unrelated but the car stalled once recently at idle, most of the time its fine, sometimes a little rough. What could be causing this?

·
Registered
729 Posts
i havent the slightests,,,,,is it still under warranty??

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, it is. I plan to take it in but I wonder if they will find anything wrong. If they test drive it theres a good chance that everything will work fine.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Fuel Starvation.

Make sure you have a full tank.
Figure out how to reproduce, then you drive when they ride, and make it happen.
That's the best way to go about it.
~Paris

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sounds like it could be your fuel pump mine did the same thing and over a 3 month period it got progressively worse. Run your tank down to about a 1/4 tank and take it around a turn like you did before if it does it again it is your fuel pump. 99% sure of that. take it to a dealer and do what zetec2000 said to do.
Good luck

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks fro the suggestions, it was just under a quarter tank this most recent time

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Like other said it's either the fuel pump (if it happens only when the tank is low). Also a common problem with these things is the DPFE sensor. Try that too.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
It's LIKELY the Fuel Pump, but it's NOT the Fuel Pump's Fault.
The filter screens are being clogged by a lining in the tanks that "Sheds", thus clogging the screens, thus making the pump starve and burn out.
A Thorough Fix is to have the tank dropped and cleaned and/or replaced, have the Screens cleaned, THEN have the pump inspected, and then replaced IF it's Failing or deficient.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts