Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is just lovely...

I got the latest flash, and now the car is possessed by some demon with a lead foot (and not in a good way). It will hold cruising speed in the flats and even accelerate on some mild downgrades until it reaches 2800 RPMs.

The idle comes down super SLOW and rests at 2800 RPM when fully warmed up. That's it, low as she'll go unless I do this ONE TRICK:

I have to drag the RPMs down below 2500 by braking while in SECOND gear. No other gear will do it. No other method will do it (so far) and I've tried a lot of things.

Today I drove the car every which way (including HARD) trying to figure out what is the [email protected] hangup. It seems only to happen when warmed up (so far).

If I drag the RPMs down with the brakes in a gear ABOVE 2nd, they just go back up as soon as I declutch. I don't try 1st because that is just rediculous (overrev situation).

Can't possibly see how it would be related to throttle hardware or TPS sensor because of the 2nd gear trick I can do to drop it to a normal idle. This only started happening the day after the ECU flash, and I should easily have put enough miles on it for it to relearn today.

Maybe I will unhook the battery now and see if it just needs to start over again.

Any brilliant ideas? I don't expect any from the Ford Dealership (they will just blame my intake and/or exhaust... they actually said they would if there was any trouble, and that is BOGUS!!)

I may end up kissing my clutch goodbye sooner than I expect if this sort of problem continues.

Makes me sick.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sure hope the problem is that simple (am disconnected as I type this, and waiting).

The clock was certainly not changed, so they must not have taken the system off power at any point (my clock was set ~45 minutes fast in the car, and that had not changed).

So... I'll let you all know how it goes.

THIS BETTER WORK!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Bummer - I don't know, I've read your posts on the SVT website and here. Your car must be possessed or something.
Maybe a priest could help you out and exorcise the demons your car seems to possess.
I have frankly been amazed at how much better my car runs with the new flash. But, who knows what tomorrow will bring.
IMHO, you oughta place the stock components on the car and begin to log the issues. Maybe you'll be able to get some credit with Ford or qualify for a lemon law. There comes a time with a car that you just have to cut it loose. But it can't be healthy to build up so much anger at an inanimate object.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:

Reset the ECU by draining all power out of the system (disconnect NEG terminal, discharged with brakes and then sit 45 minutes with courtesy light switched on... though it wasn't glowing anymore). Radio had to reset and find CDs again when I fired back up, and guage clusters fully autochecked themselves, so that should have done it.

Now, on to the results...

Ran PERFECTLY -- for the first few minutes. Idled down just fine and everything (better than RLA6). Then the slow drop and sticky RPMs came back.

Man it has good power in this chilly weather and with this flash, but the RPM situation is just nuts.

This time, however, I was able to pull them down sometimes in some other gears also with brakes applied, and occasionally with a lot of throttle blipping, clutching/declutching and gear messing business.

Now I am wondering, could it be that something about this cooler weather is causing a malfunction somewhere? Seems odd to happen now when it has already been driven in this coolness before the flash.

The engine wasn't exactly cold after this reset either, and the throttle management was just fine until a couple of minutes after fully warmed up (and I took it to 6500-7000 RPM a few times).

Im am now a bit confused. It may take me a week to figure out *exactly* what is going on here.

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
Sounds odd that it would do that but since you just got the ecu update and it occured after it was done I would recommend that you contact the dealership and explain the situation to them and see what they suggest.Just a thought.Keep us updated.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Update:

Reset the ECU by draining all power out of the system (disconnect NEG terminal, discharged with brakes and then sit 45 minutes with courtesy light switched on... though it wasn't glowing anymore). Radio had to reset and find CDs again when I fired back up, and guage clusters fully autochecked themselves, so that should have done it.

Now, on to the results...

Ran PERFECTLY -- for the first few minutes. Idled down just fine and everything (better than RLA6). Then the slow drop and sticky RPMs came back.

Man it has good power in this chilly weather and with this flash, but the RPM situation is just nuts.

This time, however, I was able to pull them down sometimes in some other gears also with brakes applied, and occasionally with a lot of throttle blipping, clutching/declutching and gear messing business.

Now I am wondering, could it be that something about this cooler weather is causing a malfunction somewhere? Seems odd to happen now when it has already been driven in this coolness before the flash.

The engine wasn't exactly cold after this reset either, and the throttle management was just fine until a couple of minutes after fully warmed up (and I took it to 6500-7000 RPM a few times).

Im am now a bit confused. It may take me a week to figure out *exactly* what is going on here.
My Focus is a non-SVT ZX5 Zetec, but I have never found mine to run well in colder temperatures. The idle stumbles regularly in cold weather. When it is really cold out (30 degrees or below) there have been occassions where my car would idle/surge/rev at close to 2,000rpm+ while stopped in bumper to bumper traffic. The tach needle will drop to normal 700rpm then jump to 2,000, then drop, then jump, and so on, with the engine revving right along with it...very scary. I would literally have to hold my foot on the brake to keep the car from pushing forward. It would then settle back down on its own when it felt it was ready. I am dreading the colder weather as I do not know what it is going to do.

I have read other places of Focus owners reporting the same thing. Ford dealers, of course, are never able to reproduce the problem. I never got a CEL with mine (which would have been nice) so the engine never threw a code. It may just be the way the engine handles the colder weather (not very well).

If you find anything out, please let us know as it may be applicable to both SVT and non-SVT models.

Thanks!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More stuff:

Went on a long drive today.

If I drive conservatively (non-performance), the RPMs will fall back to idle, but VERY slowly. I'm talkin' 2 seconds to drop the first 1k RPMs, another second to fall another 1K RPMs and then falls rather quickly after that. This means my 1-2 shift is painfully delayed if I don't want to scrub the clutch (about a 2 to 3K RPM drop which is ~3 seconds required to rev-match or get close enough).

If I bear down on the throttle (take to 6 or 7K RPM) while under load (in gear), then the RPMs will start hanging at about 2800 on the way down most of the time until I shut the car off.

I have removed the plastic cover and actuated the throttle by hand, and the throttle lever gives no resistance other than the proper amount of spring tension (I feel no scuffing anywhere in there).

If I pull over and leave the car running when the RPM hangup occurs and I actuate the throttle by hand the throttle itself does not stick but the RPMs still do not go down.

If I shut the car off for a moment, then restart and give throttle to the car while parked and out of gear, the revs fall normally (i.e., quickly enough).

So... this stuff only appears to happen (and then worsens) with load (gets very snarky if you try and extract much power), then it only goes away with a fresh restart.

If it isn't the ECU program, then I am stumped. The dealer can't look at it 'til next week... too busy & understaffed at the moment.

A problem like this can toast a clutch early, because every shift you either wait a long time between throws or you will be power-shifting on 100% of the gear changes.

This ownership experience has been disappointing in so many ways. Fun to drive or not, I really feel I made a mistake buying this car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts