Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving away from the local Wendy's here in Riverside when I approached a red turning arrow in my lane. I waited and waited and waited... for 10 minutes and the light did not change. The guy in front of me (In a 200,000 dollar motorhome) ran the light. I pulled up and moved the car back and forth and still nothing. All the other lights were working so after another 3 minutes I waited till traffic cleared and mashed down the throttle and made the turn. Then red and blue lights... I was pissed. The officer pulled up and after telling him how long I waited he let me go. I hate the lights that don't change. My frind in car just got a red light ticket and it was 230 here in Riverside county. I guess my clean record worked wonders again. Did I memtion I hate red lights.

The cop said that if the light cycled 3 times for the other lanes then you can go. I will have to tell the cop that next time this happens. The lights never work right in my part of So Cal.
Sorry for all you guys in the red cars though, they are trully cop magnets...

The last time I got pulled over was in my volkswagen bug. This time it was for sliding through a red light. Drum brakes don't work so well on loose surfaces. I got out of that one too. I wonder when my luck will run out. I have been stopped 3 times and no tickets... good luck I guess.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Well... you were honest and he was fair. Sounds like alls well that ends well!

But do your part and call the city/county tomorrow to report the broken signal!

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
In TN, they just passed a law that allows Motorcyclists to Run Red lights after Stopping if their bikes are too light to trip the sensors...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called the local authorities this morning and alerted them to the problem. They say that they are gong to fix it soon. We will see if that happens, around here it takes them years to do something. Did I mention I hate red lights

·
Super Moderator
12,436 Posts
In TN, they just passed a law that allows Motorcyclists to Run Red lights after Stopping if their bikes are too light to trip the sensors...

I can see the motorcycle accident stats going up!

·
Registered
809 Posts
I got pulled over 4 time and no tickets, once for speeding/driving crazy in my old minivan just for fun in the middle of the night there was no one on the road, in my focus once for going 110mph (I GOT NO TICKET) the guy was at least a mile back when i hit 110 and i slowed back down to 70 before he even turned his lights on and i didn't know he was there. I guess thats why he let me off. another for speeding i got let off again and another for having red windshield washer squirters which are now gone.

·
Registered
98 Posts

Apparently you didn't understand the Tennessee Law about the running red lights. My fiance's sister rides motorcycles with her husband who happens to live in Tennessee. The law for them says, if they approach an intersection at a red light, and if after 3 light cycles their lights haven't changed, then they can go through the intersection if it's all cleared. This is so due to the lack of metal on a single motorcycle and weight which won't trip the sensor. So no, the rates won't go up, unless someone who doesn't read the law and comprehend it right does what he wants.

·
I can't stop typing...I can't stop typing...I can'
6,037 Posts
Wow are sensors really that common where you guys are? I can only think of a few places that have censer lights. Thing is I don't think the lights here use a "trip wire" but more of a light/motion sensor. For the rest of the lights here they just go on timers, then after a certain time convert to blinking red and yellow lights, and then after a certain time the yellow light completely turns off.

The best is the light that is near my house that for a wile it was messed up and hyper flashed, just like a car with LED lights in it. Then another night the yellow light was "flashing" by getting brighter, then dimmer, it never turned off and on.

I remember a few times on a major road where they were doing construction so they turned the traffic lights to flash and had a cop directing traffic. The only problem is the next day after they finished with the night time construction they never turned the normal light cycle back on. I pity the person who was trying to cross that intersection and had the flashing red light, The road carries about 25,000 cars during rush hour.

Another night on this same road they were doing construction, and ALL the lights in the intersection just froze. One direction had a green turn arrow and everyone else had a red light. After a few minutes 1 truck went, then a car, then everyone started treating it as a 4 way stop. The funny thing was NOONE at the construction sight noticed this, not even the 2 cops who were chit chatting. So when I finally got through the intersection I pulled over by the cops and told them "hay I'm just letting you know the traffic light just froze and everyone is just kinda going through as a 4 way stop" cops response was "which light" me "the one right there!" Cop "oh" and they went back to chit chatting.

The best thing is when my city decided to try and legalize "jumping" the light to make a left hand turn. They programmed all the left turn arrows to turn on for 2 seconds before straight traffic got a green, LITERALLY 2 seconds, the light was green no longer than it was yellow. So basically you had 4 seconds to legally make the left hand turn. Ug I guess this I why I like roundabouts so much better than lighted intersections lol

The worst though has to be "traffic circles" with lights or stop signs. It's where they take a rotary, and cut a 2 way road across one side, which kinda defeats the whole point to a circle. The worst intersection I know of has to be the one down town. It has 5 roads intersecting all with lights, you can either drive around it like its a traffic circle, or you can drive right through it like a regular x intersection. Needless to say its one of the most dangerous intersections in my city

·
Registered
759 Posts
Wow are sensors really that common where you guys are? I can only think of a few places that have censer lights. Thing is I don't think the lights here use a "trip wire" but more of a light/motion sensor. For the rest of the lights here they just go on timers, then after a certain time convert to blinking red and yellow lights, and then after a certain time the yellow light completely turns off.

almost every intersection has them here, along with cameras at every intersection, the cameras are new maybe a year old at best, I think they are there to monitor taffic and change the light patterns as needed to allow for the best flow of traffic(just like in the new version of "the Italian Job")

1 - 11 of 11 Posts