Ford Focus Forum banner

supercharger

401 views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  soybean311 
#1 ·
ok i like my focus but its to slow. i was wounderin how much hp does a supercharger add and if its worth it cause if not im gettin a 2003 gti 1.8t.

#2 ·
hi there,
well there are way more differences between the Focus and the Golf than just the engine... if you actually care for certain details or not... that is the question...
The Golf GTI 1.8T is for sure better tunable for little money.. a chip tuning runs you in the $700 region for substantially more torque and a little more power.. that however is offset by a higher purchase price BUT MUCH better resale value....... after all I consider the Golf GTI a better car for the money (considering total cost after 3 years), but lots of personal kriterias come into play.. so for you a Turboed' Focus might be the best bang for the buck.. put $4k into it and get a nice Turbo setup, put 200+ hp to the ground and are still cheaper than the VW......

all depends on personal preference....

#3 ·
ok i like my focus but its to slow. i was wounderin how much hp does a supercharger add and if its worth it cause if not im gettin a 2003 gti 1.8t.
Do a quicky search in this forum for JRSC, Vortech, and Wolff Racing.
From what i hear, the Jackson is good for 160ish whp, the vortech, around 190, and the wolff is speculated to be a little over 200.

JRSC about $2500ish
VortechSC (with aftercooler): $4500ish
WRSC: $4500ish

#4 ·
A buddy of mine has the 1.8t golf with chip and muffler, he has about 175 whp, and runs a 15.4. The only thing I dont like about the 1.8t golf is it's heavy at about 3000lbs, what does a zx3 weigh?
Any ways, I'm sure with the money you'd loose out on by trading to a differnt car, you could just use that money to boost your Zx3 and be faster than a VW 1.8t.

#5 ·
Why would you want to compare a stock turbo vehicle to a supercharged vehicle? If you want to blow away the golf, just buy Tom's kit. Since the golf already has a turbo, that would be more of an apples to apples comparison.

Of course you can get the JRSC to boost up above 200whp with the mist cooler, smaller pulley, larger injectors, MAF upgrade, and a custom chip (total cost of about 1,200 above the base JRSC). But you can always get more HP out of a turbo setup, and since you are comparing to the Golf turbo, why not look at turbos for your focus??

#6 ·
Please don't get the 1.8t..I think you'll regret it..
According to Sport Compact Car, the 1.8t's turbo is one of the oldest turbos on the block which makes it..
#1. Really hard to work with
#2. Really expensive to replace if you want to upgrade it...not too add it probably cost $4,000 dollars for the turbo set up itself! OUCH!

Plus the intercooler is too small (From Sport Compact Car under $20,000 challenge...oops got to replace that too..) and the ECU is screwed up because every few months VW changes the codes on them (for whatever reason is still a puzzle to me).

Now that I got that cleared...If you're looking for a supercharger for pure power, go for the Vortech. Steeda got about 200 horses out of it, which some modifications of course. The Jackson Supercharger isn't as strong but it does give power without sacrificing your ride quality...

So there's my opinions...long as usual...Hope you didn't mind

#9 ·
Actually, I think a stock JRSC will only make about 150 WHP, which is still a big increase over stock. You can of course squeeze more power out of it without sacrificing its proven reliability or emissins compatibility. You just can't fairly compare it to a good turbo setup like Tom's.

#12 ·
I know that in Focus Fanatic they installed and dynotested a turbocharger and got nearly 200 horses at the wheel and nearly 200 lbs. of torque...that's nearly 100 horses above the stock numbers (I'm talking fwhp now not flywheel)...
Now only if someone would remember the name of the supercharger...*URGH!*...I know it cost $3995 bucks too...but that's the regular for turbo chargers..

#13 ·
Stock trannie if you are talking about MTX can handle about 200 whp. Beyond that you probably might think about replacing racing clutch and differential.

#15 ·
I know that in Focus Fanatic they installed and dynotested a turbocharger and got nearly 200 horses at the wheel and nearly 200 lbs. of torque...that's nearly 100 horses above the stock numbers (I'm talking fwhp now not flywheel)...
Now only if someone would remember the name of the supercharger...*URGH!*...I know it cost $3995 bucks too...but that's the regular for turbo chargers..
I believe your talking about Steeda's Vortech Supercharger for their Project Shadow. it states that for a ZX3 it gives a 60% increase. So 130 hp to about 210 hp. Which is a lot of increase in HP. For the SVT, it boosts up 170HP to around 270hp. The kit is also 50 state legal/

Precision Turbo & Engine Precision Turbo!!!

Will give a manual transmission up to 225 hp! For Automatics, it'll boost hp to 185!! For$3995.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.