Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I saw a preview of that on TV a couple of months ago, I can't remember where.

I think some show was reviewing a SuperChip, and a guy from SuperChips was talking about BlueFin (but didn't actually say BlueFin).

·
Registered
485 Posts
This sounds just like the Shark Injector which is used to flash BMWs with a performance engine calibration using the OBDII port.

Ford Focus Owners Club: Superchips Bluefin article

I just heard about this thing, a power enhancer that plugs into the Ford Focus OBDII port, or whatever it's called in Europe, whereby you can flash the computer with a performance program. And then reinstall the stock program for diagnostic purposes.

[ 04-10-2003, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: GTIspirit ]

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
You can buy with confidence
Bluefin, designed by Superchips, the UK market leader in engine performance improvement, is already a huge success in the USA where over 40,000 have been sold.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">First time I've heard of bluefin. I know of the chips, but this sounds new.

·
Registered
733 Posts
i would like to know more about it.. what parameters does it adjust??
it looks like it flashes the ECU.. so I assume it can chane most anything ??

Does anyone know more??

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ive been involved with the Bluefin development and testing for some time now as part of my job running FFOC.CO.UK. BTW its nice to see you giys looking in so much

Bluefin is an excellent piece of kit, it's one of the few mods I recommend to our members without hesitation.

Ive personally installed it on a number of Foci - ranginf from 1.6 through to the 2 litre models, the TDCi and the Focus RS. Needless to say the RS is the best overall drive!

You basically take the diagnostics cover out from underneath the steering wheel. Connect up the bluefin handheld device and rest is simplicity itself. It talks to the ECU and decides which model of engine and which revision of ECU you have and then looks it up from one of the onboard 700 compressed Focus mapping files. It asks if you want to install and before doing so, backs up your current ECU onto the Bluefin device. You can then change between the two mappings (the original or the enhanced one) whenever you want. This is good in case you want to take the car in for servicing - its a two minut job to swap the original Ford file back into the ECU.

As an example of power gains - the RS I tested went from 212bhp to 245bhp and gained a further 40lb/ft torque. To say it was noticeable was an understatment! At 212bhp the car is pretty savage, at nearly 250bhp (which incedentally is running the injectors very close to their limits) its quite a beast

The last Focus I used Bluefin on was a TDCI. It gained just over 20bhp and again 40lb/ft torque. The drive was vastly improved being smoother through the gears and revving more cleanly to the red line in all gears too. Fifth gear motorway driving was vastly improved. Amazingly the fuel consumption is 2-3mpg better too.

All results were proven on the dyno literally ten minutes apart with the same dyno operator.

Lee
Director, FFOC.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Nope - no one has managed to crack the black oak ECU fully yet. Superchips ARE working on it however and have been for a few months.

Speaking to a few people within Ford, the ST's limitations seem to be quite heavily orientated to its factory mappings so being able to remap that ECU should hold good gains.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Originally posted by FocusZetec:
Nope - no one has managed to crack the black oak ECU fully yet. Superchips ARE working on it however and have been for a few months.

Speaking to a few people within Ford, the ST's limitations seem to be quite heavily orientated to its factory mappings so being able to remap that ECU should hold good gains.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Please God, let someone crack the black-oak ECU. I'm telling you, the factory settings are junk. I have honestly never seen a car run so awkwardly. I hope they pull it off. I would buy that blue-fin in a second if it worked.

·
Premium Member
5,524 Posts
Do they have programs for US-Spec Foci yet? I'm sure there'd be many interested people here if so.

Am I understanding this right? The end user can't do anything other than upload a program or revert back to the factory one, correct? What happens if Superchips comes out with a new program for a given code? Can you get that from your desktop computer into the Bluefin and into the car?

This is interesting and seems to be quite a different product than the (not yet available
) Diablosport Predator. Seems to be a chip-replacement (but without the chip).

·
Registered
142 Posts
Superchips WILL crack the Black Oak ECU - it's purely a matter of time!

The easiest way to think of Bluefin is not as a chip or a chip replacement but as a delivery mechanism. Any Superchips mapping can be uploaded to the Bluefin for use.

I spoke a few weeks back with one of the guys within Superchips Uk and he said they were already looking into giving the user more control of other engine related bits and bobs. One example was simply being able to remove the rev limit and reset it 500rpm higher for instance. Obviously they are a little dubious about allowing this as people are bound to start wanting to make claims on their warranty for dmage etc but they will probably end up allowing options like this but simply limiting how mad you can go with the settings.

Theres also no reason why you couldnt have three or four maps for your one car. One for 95 octane fuel, one for 98 octane etc etc.

The Bluefin also has a few other great functions.

1, it can act as an immobiliser. You can set it to remove the ECU code to the handhelds device permanent memory. This is ideal if you go away for a week or so. The car is left with NO ECU data present - therefore its impossible to start!

2, It can work as a diagnostics computer also. Plug it in to read the ECU logs - look up in the manual to see which fault you have - e.g. DTC9063 - faulty fuel sender module. It will then allow you to clear the memory and turn off the CEL!!!!!

Loads of bonuses, not many drawbacks to be honest!

Dont you guys have Superchips (the company) over there then??!

Lee

·
Registered
733 Posts
So how many specific programs are you offered with it. say I have a 2.0 litre aside fmor the stock ECU code what else can I upload..
please post dyno graphs of a stock 2.0 litre before and after... with no mods or mild mods...
Unfortunatly since we here in NA will never see the RS its numbers have no basis for us...
Can we download new programs from super chips when we need to... like the super chip dealers can?

Price??
Your time is appreciated...

·
Registered
517 Posts
OK, let me get this straight. I can flash my ECU with new code, but I can't manipulate whats actaully being changed (fuel, timing, etc.)? If so then this is nothing but a glorified chip.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Originally posted by madmax1:
OK, let me get this straight. I can flash my ECU with new code, but I can't manipulate whats actaully being changed (fuel, timing, etc.)? If so then this is nothing but a glorified chip.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I agree - give us some control! This is the land of the free!

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
FocusZetec: You rule!! thanks for taking the time to answer the questions over here! Very cool!

Do you know if it would work with the US spec focus? And lastly, (kicking the dead horse) please let us know if they ever are able to modify the black-oak eec !!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
No probs guys! Anything I can help with just email me or post an FAO FocusZtec on the forums at http://forum.ffoc.co.uk/forum/ I'll get back to you asap.

OK - give me a few days to check some things out for you. Im talking to the MD of Superchips on Monday so I will pose the question to him and let you know the answer.

Im also very interested in when the ECu will be broke on the SVT/ST as I will probably sell my supercharged Zetec and go for the ST then! Supercharged also of course!

Lee

·
LET'S GO RIDE BIKES
2,760 Posts
Cool, performance parts named after tuna

1 - 20 of 40 Posts