Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I dont have a focci but since we have basicly the same engines i was wondering if ou all could help me out..

First off i drive a 2000 Zx2, TE04H turbo, Spearco IC, UDP,coilpack,9mm wires,MSD DIS 2, Brand new plugs (NGK), low temp thermo. Apex-i SAFc ( not currently wired up ).

When i use light pedel presure and slowly accelerat my car acks like its miss firing and sputters really bad untill i get to about 2500.
BUT if i give it about 50% throttel it goes just fine. Now it does this only around 1300 or 2300. witch ever it feels i guess. ive checked for vacuum leaks, changed the plugs unwired the DIS 2.. same problem.. this is really pissing me off now
.. The car also seems to be hunting @ idle. idle goes from around 800 to 730.. any ideas?! Could it be the car runs rich when the turbo starts to spool? Any and all help would be much appreciated.
p.S i posted here because you guys have a ton more experience with boosting then the zx2 forums.. PLEASE HELP ME!!
thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well my boost guage shows a steady -19 on @ idle.. if if there was a leak wouldnt it show @ idle as well??!?

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
What is handling the extra fueling for the turbo? It is highly possible that it isn't properly designed for part throttle operation.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Big conical airfilter mounted directly to your MAF?

Any stumbling when the fan kicks on while you are stopped?

If so zip tie a half a plastic milk or water jug over the side of the filter facing the fan and grill opening. If the problem goes away you are suffering from turbulent air in the MAF - not uncommon. Just need to make a permnent shield or add some distance between the filter and MAF.

Under low load / slow air flow like you describe, a little turbulent air can drive the MAF sensor nuts.

[ 01-04-2003, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: Welding Rod ]

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ahh. illcheck it out. thanks..

The air filter is attached directly to the maf. it didnt do it before then all of a sudden it started doing it. the air filter is conical. but its a medium sized air filter witch isnt near the fan.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Let us know. This problem can be particularly bad if you have relocated your battery, which can act as a shield for the filter to some extent.

Edti: BTW, I had this problem and my filter was not near the fan, but basically in the OEM air box location. I solved it by installing an SVT airbox and snorkel.

[ 01-05-2003, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: Welding Rod ]

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, there was a vaccum line that led from the back of the manni, then led to a check valve system that fed to the brake booster then fed to the intake after the maf. Well when i installed the kit i left the part that connected to the old intake off. Well i started thinking that now that vaccum line is sucking in un-metered air.. so i plugged. and i noticed that it only sputters like that on occasion now.

But remember, the first day i got the car back after turbo install it ran fine. then started doing it.. ( btw i reset the ecu to no avail ). Would the cone filter just now start being the prob.. what if for testing purposes i took the filter off and let the maf get some unfiltered air to see if it stops the puttering. Does this situation seem like it could be running rich around 1-2k causing the problem?!? Thanks for all your help guys. i need it!

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Just reread your original post, foregot you don't have a Focus, hence the comment about a relocated battery causing problems.

Anyway, I wouldn't take off the filter, if you don't have turbulence now, you probably will with it off.

Hmmm, you made no changes before it started acting up? Any significant change in weather?

Oh, one more thought, with a new turbo installed, any chance after hitting boost a couple times you blew off a vacum line or cap? I am told there is a little cap on the intake manifold on some Foci (not mine) that has been known to pop off after adding boost. Something like this?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Welp, you nailed it right on the head welding rod..

I changed the cone filter to an HKS Foam Mushroom style filter, and added about 2 inchs of silicone tube between the maf and the filter. Reset the ECU again.. and took it for a drive... BOOM.. no more problems.. no hunting for idle. no studdering. no surging.. Runs PERFECT!!!! I LOVE YOU!!!

Thanks for everyones help. you guys FRIKEN ROCK!!! Thanks again!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts