Trailing arm pivot bracket bolts - 85 lb-ft
Lower control arm (inside) - 111 lb-ft
Lower control arm to Knuckle/trailing arm - 85 lb-ft
Sway bar end links - 11-15 lb-ft
Sway bar clamps - 35 lb-ft

Steering:

Tie-rod end locknut - 46 lb-ft
Tie-rod balljoint to steering knuckle - 35 lb-ft

If you have more additions or comments, please feel free to post them. I GREATLY appreciate it

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Re: Can someone give me these torque specs?

strut plate to chassis bolts (3)
These are the three bolts at the top of the strut tower? They take 8 ft-lbs, IIRC. Don't overtighten them. You'll regret it when you buy a new strut mounting plate.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks, I'll update the original post to serve as a quick reference for anyone looking for these ratings.

Anyone else?

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts
Re: Can someone give me these torque specs? *DELETED*

Post deleted by mievil

·
Registered
349 Posts

for the front
the top mount retaining nuts are 18 lb-ft not 8
sway bar to link 37 lb-ft
Lower arm ball joint to wheel knuckle pinch bolt 37 lb-ft
Stabilizer bar clamp retaining bolts 54 lb-ft

front control arms are a bit tricky there are 3 nuts and bolts that hold the arm to the subframe. 2 on one side and one longer one on the other side of the arm. I will call the inner bolt #1 the outer bolt #2 and the single longer bolt #3, this is very important cause they all use very different torque specs.
also Note:Install new nuts, bolts and ball bearing washer. from what I have been reading most people do not replace then, I did just to be on the safe side.

Bolt #1 Tighten the nut in two stages.

Stage 1: 100 Nm.

Stage 2: 60 degrees.

Bolt #2 Tighten the nut to 120 Nm (not lb-ft, not sure of the conversion)

Bolt #3 Tighten the bolt in two stages.

Stage 1: 120 Nm.
Stage 2: 90 degrees.
the idea is that these bolts will streach just like a head bolt.

Hopefully this makes sence to someone other than myself, if there is anything that is not clear just ask and I will try to explain it the best I can.

Mike

·
Registered
349 Posts

*edit* to clean up the thread a bit
Wheel knuckle to Suspension strut pinch Bolt is 66 lb-ft or 90 Nm

Mike

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts

Suspension strut pinch is the metal plate on the bottom and side of the strut itself?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

for the front
the top mount retaining nuts are 18 lb-ft not 8
sway bar to link 37 lb-ft
Lower arm ball joint to wheel knuckle pinch bolt 37 lb-ft
Stabilizer bar clamp retaining bolts 54 lb-ft

front control arms are a bit tricky there are 3 nuts and bolts that hold the arm to the subframe. 2 on one side and one longer one on the other side of the arm. I will call the inner bolt #1 the outer bolt #2 and the single longer bolt #3, this is very important cause they all use very different torque specs.
also Note:Install new nuts, bolts and ball bearing washer. from what I have been reading most people do not replace then, I did just to be on the safe side.

Bolt #1 Tighten the nut in two stages.

Stage 1: 100 Nm.

Stage 2: 60 degrees.

Bolt #2 Tighten the nut to 120 Nm (not lb-ft, not sure of the conversion)

Bolt #3 Tighten the bolt in two stages.

Stage 1: 120 Nm.
Stage 2: 90 degrees.
the idea is that these bolts will streach just like a head bolt.

Hopefully this makes sence to someone other than myself, if there is anything that is not clear just ask and I will try to explain it the best I can.

Mike
Thanks for the info. I'll update the thread with English units (and SI I guess, as well) later today.

Do you have part numbers for the lower three control arm bolts? How about a picture. I can only visualize 2 bolts without being under the car. Maybe I won't even bother with those bolts if they are designed to deform...

Thanks to everyone else for these specs so far!

·
Registered
349 Posts

Holy crap.
Ummmmm.......I was misinformed in that case. Suspension strut pinch is the metal plate on the bottom and side of the strut itself?
this is the bolt that holds the bottom of the strut into the steering knuckle, if you look at the back of it, its split and there is a bolt that runs through it, pinching it to hold it in place. now on the back of the strut housing there is a metal plate that is more of a guide that goes into the knuckle assembly but nothing attaches to it, its just there to limit how far the strut will go into the housing.
I think you might be talking about where the sway bar connects to the strut housing? but thats not really at the bottom.

Mike

·
Registered
349 Posts

I dont know the part numbers, I purchased them from Steve at toulsey ford, he is the member that offers the discount on ford factory parts. He might still have the numbers but when I called he said no one had ever asked for those parts before.
I have an image (more of a sketch) of the control arm and bolts but I dont have a way of hosting it to put on here, I can e-mail it to you if you want.

Mike

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I dont know the part numbers, I purchased them from Steve at toulsey ford, he is the member that offers the discount on ford factory parts. He might still have the numbers but when I called he said no one had ever asked for those parts before.
I have an image (more of a sketch) of the control arm and bolts but I dont have a way of hosting it to put on here, I can e-mail it to you if you want.

Mike
Yes, please email it to me, I can host it for you. PM me for my email address

Thanks disrupter for the scanned image!

·
Registered
403 Posts

Does anyone know the torque spec for the shock absorber lower bolt? Or does it have another name that I am not understanding? I appreciate it.

·
Registered
349 Posts

Does anyone know the torque spec for the shock absorber lower bolt? Or does it have another name that I am not understanding? I appreciate it.
according to the Ford TIS its called

Mike

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Mike
I also question this since there is no value in that scanned image.

For knuckle to suspension strut pinch bolt, I am assuming that is the bolt for the hub on the front of the car..since there is no strut on the rear...

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I just updated the original post with the image and what information we have so far. We are still missing the rear shock bolt and some numbers for the rear lower control arm and the other link (inner and outer), whatever its officially called.

·
Registered
349 Posts

Mike

For knuckle to suspension strut pinch bolt, I am assuming that is the bolt for the hub on the front of the car..since there is no strut on the rear...
yes that is for the front of the car only, the rear has a totally different setup
that torque value is for the only bold that holds the strut to the steering knuckle, ie the strut drops down into the hole in the top of the steering knuckle and then there is a bolt that goes through the back of the knuckle that essentially pinches it in place which is why its called a pinch bolt

Mike

·
Registered
403 Posts

Mike

Does anyone have a best guess? I am a little concerned as I only tightened them by hand er.. wrench that is. Maybe not a big deal but I do drive about 50 miles a day. I think it's better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks again

·
Registered
349 Posts

are we still talking about the lower bolt that holds the front strut in?? if so it is 66 lb-ft or 90 Nm

Mike

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Just got the values we needed from Ford...check first post

Can someone make this a sticky?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts