Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright let me give you some background info before i tell you the problem. My car is a 2000 ZX3 with Eibach Prokit (springs/dampers), 18inch Motegi MR7's wrapped in 35series KDW-2's (bfgoodrich). I have loved this setup for almost 3years with absolutely no problem at all. Firm, yet beautifully balanced ride for even daily driving.

Now the problem. Recently my car has been waivering and cetching grooves easier. No change in suspension and no serious collision or pothole hit. It gives me a sense 'looser' steering than usual, and makes me have to turn the steering wheel more than usual for the same turn. I don't understand what it can be. I went to have my tires rotated and aligned and all my mechanic told me was "your tie rods are showing wear, no emergency, but need to be kept in mind"

My question is simply for suggestions before i bring it to Ford who may not even be able to help me. But i hope someone here can help me before or at least give me some info before i go into ford to see whats wrong so i dont rank up to many charges for things that dont need to be done.

Thanks Alot

-Chris

·
Banned
5,338 Posts
before i even read the whole thing i was thinking tie rod ends. then you put that in there. how many miles on the car? and tie rod ends arnt expensive either. i just looked at my local autozone... both of em for bout $16-19. but you would have to get it aligned again.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
around 62,000

bought the car in 2001 with around 5,000 on the clock (reposetion)

-chris

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well brought my car into my ex-g/f's dads shop (mavis discount tire) to have the tie rods changed...

..hopefully it does the trick, if not im lost for ideas

-chris

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
The next thought (If that doesn't fix it) would be front control arm bushings.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well well...

got my car back today and feel a instant 100% difference...steering is crisp and responsive and all control is back to normal...less wheel hop too

rides beautifully...and for only $161 (free alignment)...one of the cheapest performance mod/repair to date!

-0chris

·
TEAM Member
733 Posts
Would you happen to have the factory part numbers for the ends? My ZTW wanders all over the place, too.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
Alright let me give you some background info before i tell you the problem. My car is a 2000 ZX3 with Eibach Prokit (springs/dampers), 18inch Motegi MR7's wrapped in 35series KDW-2's (bfgoodrich). I have loved this setup for almost 3years with absolutely no problem at all. Firm, yet beautifully balanced ride for even daily driving.

Three years on the same tires?

New tires would have your car feeling almost brand new, even WITH worn tie rods.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Three years on the same tires?

New tires would have your car feeling almost brand new, even WITH worn tie rods.
na na...first i had Federal595's that came with my package from Wheelmax.com...then i opted for a 100% better tire, im in love with them

KDW-2's

·
Registered
894 Posts
well brought my car into my ex-g/f's dads shop (mavis discount tire) to have the tie rods changed...
Ex-g/f's dad's shop? You, uh, sure about that one?

j/k

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ex-g/f's dad's shop? You, uh, sure about that one?

j/k
yeh im positive...we left on really good terms (college) and her father and i were always close...both love cars and guess just had his daughter in common

guess he doesn't know about me 'n her in his boxterS last summer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts