Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very sad..

DRUMS, Pa. (AP) -- A sport utility vehicle crashed head-on into a line of motorcycles on a charity ride, killing one person and injuring several others, authorities said.

William Delaney Jr., 41, was killed Sunday when his motorcycle was struck by the Chevrolet Blazer after it crossed the center line, said William J. Feissner, a Butler Township police officer.

Delaney's wife, Linda Delaney, 40, who was riding on the back of the motorcycle, was listed in critical condition Monday at a hospital.

Two other motorcyclists were critically injured and at least three others were hospitalized with noncritical injuries, Feissner said Sunday. Investigators believe the motorcyclists were not wearing helmets.

No other information about their conditions was immediately available Monday.

The SUV driver, Jeffrey M. Borrin, 25, was headed southbound on Route 309 when his vehicle crashed into the northbound motorcycles, Feissner said. Borrin was uninjured.

The cause of the crash remains under investigation and no charges were filed.

About 150 motorcycles were taking part in the Chris Jones Benefit Bike Run, a ride for charity that started in nearby Wright Township, Feissner said.

·
Registered
434 Posts
damn. How the heck does that happen? Cell phone? Playing with the radio? It was in the middle of the afternoon, right?

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
Sad and tragic.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
I'm asuming these were Harleys, or at least cruisers. Surely, in 150 of them, there was one of those with stupid-loud pipes. How could you possibly run into them making that kind of noise?

·
Registered
610 Posts
SUV hits riders? So the SUV planned it all along huh? Crafty devils.

Seriously, anybody else notice how everytime a crash is reported with a SUV as the offending vehicle, it's reported like the SUV had a mind of it's own and did it on purpose. Anybody?

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
Saw it on th news. Full dresser and it tore up the S10 Blazer it hit. The bike was damaged but not as bad as I thought it would have. Terrible loss. Always seems to happen to people that re trying to help other.:(

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Seriously, anybody else notice how everytime a crash is reported with a SUV as the offending vehicle, it's reported like the SUV had a mind of it's own and did it on purpose. Anybody?
I don't think it's the fact that the car was an SUV on it's own that's noteworthy... I thinking it's the shocking idea of an SUV hitting a crowd of open two wheeled vehicles that makes it worth pointing out.

·
Stoned Scorpion says, "GET OVER H.....OOhhh! Brown
11,972 Posts
yeah i live in PA and they just allowed riders to not wear any helmets. sad considering that is your only real protection if you crash. very sad, hope injured make it out ok

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
You shouldn't be forced to wear either in this country.
You damn well should, because of some idiots' choice to not wear a helmet he might cost taxpayers and insurance companies a good $30,000 or more because he suffered a head injury which could have been prevented from wearing a helmet. So he doesn't wear a helmet, and now he has to get Medevac'd and have top brain surgeons working on him to keep his stupid ass alive.

Anyways, my mom said a lot of doctors she works with are saying now that there is a good chance the state will re-enact the helmet law, because of the huge amount of injuries and deaths that have came about since the helmet law was repealed.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
You shouldn't be forced to wear either in this country.
That's right in only one way. People shouldn't be told what is good for them, they should be doing it automatically.

Common sense just isn't that common anymore.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, no one should be required to wear helmets or seatbelts.

However, I would suggest that the insurance companies require their use. They won't raise our insurance rates because the insurance company won't give them money they don't deserve. Then we'd just need to save the government's money from them. Perhaps convince hospitals that the only reason people don't wear seatbelts is because they feel it interferes with god's plan. Then the paramedics couldn't touch them.

·
Banned
1,122 Posts

I don't think it's the fact that the car was an SUV on it's own that's noteworthy... I thinking it's the shocking idea of an SUV hitting a crowd of open two wheeled vehicles that makes it worth pointing out.
Its the same thing as saying "that black guy just stole my stereo." Its a description of the subject, not trying to imply anything. I'm assuming you wouldn't be saying anything if it was "Van hits charity motorcycle riders."

·
Registered
410 Posts
People who think that money concerns should override individual freedom do not understand the founding principles of this country.
You want to talk rights and freedoms? What about my right to not pay for someone else's stupidity?

What about all the good the money spent to clean up after the moron who is killed while not using a helmet or seat belt could do? $30,000+ dollars could feed a lot of homeless people, or repair a lot of crappy roads. That doesn't even count the man-hours wasted by law-enforcement.

What about non-monetary concerns? Say the helmet-or-seatbelt-less jackass has a wife and kids? So he gets himself killed, now we have a husbandless wife and fatherless kids. And if another motorist is involved, be it his fault or not, he will still live the rest of his life with guilt of some degree.

That's what pisses me off a lot about the helmet and/or seatbelt debate. People who don't like them act like the decision to wear or not only affects them therefore they should have the final say. [censored]. These kind of people are the height of selfishness and frankly deserve whatever they get. It's just too bad other people have to suffer because of them, but I suppose they don't really care

1 - 19 of 19 Posts