Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SUV\'s and How Unsafe They Are

SUV side crash stats are scary
You’ve probably heard that the Insurance Institute for Auto Safety recently tested 11 SUVs for side impact damage in accidents. To put it simply, some of the results were really scary. Nine of the 11 vehicles got very poor ratings, meaning that if you were in a side-crash accident there was potential great danger to anyone inside. The only two SUVs that got passing scores were the Subaru Forrester and the Ford Escape. The test added to all of the negative publicity SUVs have already gotten in terms of their lack of safety. Clark wants to make sure that parents are no longer giving their teen an SUV, thinking it will make them safer. See more of the results from the study at hwysafety.org. The SUV market was something that carmakers rushed into because the profits were huge. But in doing so the companies compromised safety. So, for experienced drivers SUVs may not be such a safety risk. But for less experienced drivers, the problems with the rollovers are so severe that inexperienced people should not be driving them.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Re: SUV\'s and How Unsafe They Are

uhhhh.....well doesnt an SUV sit higher then a car and if that car hits it from the side your most likely gonna hit the running boards and not the doors themselfs?

·
Registered
228 Posts

The study crashed pickup trucks and SUVs into the side of SUVs. Crash a Civic in the side of an SUV and they all would require new paint jobs at worst. On the other hand, crash an SUV into the side of a Civic and see what happens.

Everything is relative.

·
Registered
91 Posts

The only two SUVs that got passing scores were the Subaru Forrester and the Ford Escape.
Actually, the Escape only received passing scores when equipped with side impact airbags. The Escape without side impact airbags failed with the rest of 'em.

·
Registered
727 Posts

I don't know about ya'll, but you run into the side of my Excursion, you'll be hurting, not me!!!
Maybe they should test "Real" trucks & SUV's!!!

·
I can't stop typing...I can't stop typing...I can'
6,037 Posts

I don't know about ya'll, but you run into the side of my Excursion, you'll be hurting, not me!!!
Actualy the test is to see what happnes if YOU were to run into the side of them.

·
Registered
156 Posts

I was stuck behind a teeny bopper in a monster SUV (Stupid Useless Vehicle) being taught by her father on public streets. It scares me to think that kids are being sent out in these massive battering rams to wreck havoc on the roads.

Tio Barry

·
Registered
727 Posts

Actualy the test is to see what happnes if YOU were to run into the side of them.
Even worse!!! Anyone want to know how a V10 feels in their lap...

·
Registered
2,296 Posts

The study crashed pickup trucks and SUVs into the side of SUVs. Crash a Civic in the side of an SUV and they all would require new paint jobs at worst. On the other hand, crash an SUV into the side of a Civic and see what happens.

Everything is relative.
But lots more trucks are sold than small cars. The chances of a truck running into you are higher than a Civic.

·
Registered
582 Posts

That study pegged my bogometer. Put together by a biased source and when you look at the design of the experiments it was designed to push carmakers to make side impact air bags standard. Politics, not science. I hate SUVs and agree that side air bags are a good thing, but I don't see the need for junk science to prop up the argument.

·
Registered
641 Posts

Exactly. Get the RAV4 with side air bags and it will pass the test. That's not a fair test to begin with.

=dRe=

The only two SUVs that got passing scores were the Subaru Forrester and the Ford Escape.
Actually, the Escape only received passing scores when equipped with side impact airbags. The Escape without side impact airbags failed with the rest of 'em.

·
Registered
228 Posts

Everything is relative.
But lots more trucks are sold than small cars. The chances of a truck running into you are higher than a Civic.
You missed the point. Would you rather be in a Civic or an SUV when you get hit by an SUV? I'd rather be in an SUV. That is why this study is flawed. Do a study on Cars getting hit by SUVs and pickup trucks and they will do even worse.

·
Registered
727 Posts

Everything is relative.
You missed the point. Would you rather be in a Civic or an SUV when you get hit by an SUV? I'd rather be in an SUV. That is why this study is flawed. Do a study on Cars getting hit by SUVs and pickup trucks and they will do even worse.
Exactly, I would rather my family and friends be in my big ass Excursion when a truck or SUV decides to go Kamakazie no us!!! The only people that rat on SUV's are the ones that don't drive them or own one... If I had space, I would buy another Excursion!!! I only yield to 18-wheelers and buses...

·
Registered
227 Posts

I'd rather be in the civic and avoid the accident. In my experience the bigger the car, the higher the chance of causing an accident. There have been 5 times where drivers have tried to change lanes into exactly where I am because they didn't bother to look to their left and every one of those was an idiot in a SUV, pick-up, Minivan or (once) a semi.

Personally, I think if you're going to own a large, accident prone vehicle you should have to bear more of a legal responsibility for any crashes you're involved with while driving. For instance, if your SUV makes a car submarine under it you automatically pay a fine and face jail time for any injuries caused unless the accident was determined to be the other driver's fault ("no fault" still results in charges). You are putting other people's lives at risk by driving a taller, heavier automobile. Right now, with no legal repercussions, basically it's like people are shopping for the biggest tank out there so they can kill whomever they hit rather than risk any injury to themselves. Weights are just going to keep ballooning up and roads will become more and more dangerous until people are made responsible for the danger their vehicle presents to others.

If everyone drove smaller cars the roads would be safer.

·
Registered
727 Posts

You got to be kidding, anyone can switch lanes w/ out signaling or checking... You are just signaling out peple that drive SUV's. Now I agree some people shouldn't be driving a large vehicle, some people shouldn't even drive. But I'll tell you this, accidents are also caused by little cars ripping thru traffic & driving fast. Whats the difference??? The tables can be turned either way... Point being, be careful, drive safely & get a bigger car!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts

For occupant safety, the car is always the better choice. Look at any crashed Focus or Volvo. The car seems to be shredded, but then that is the idea. The outside of the car absorbs the energy of the impact. The front or rear ends crumple so as not to pass the energy on to the occupants. When I look at the frame rails on my Ram or any truck based suv, the one thing I realize is those are not designed to crumple, so most of the energy will get passed to the occupants. It's like being in a '55 buick. It's not the other car that kills you, it's the inside of your vehicle. That is why those with side airbags perform better. So buy what you want, but be familiar with how it handles and drive it accordingly.

·
Registered
727 Posts

AMEN!!!

·
Internet = Serious Business
628 Posts

I got rid of mine for reasons other than safety. I've had 2 Explorers, and besides being the most useless things on the road, aren't unsafe. It's the 99% of the morons that drive them as suburban battle tanks that make them unsafe.
I think it's funny how they advertise people skiing, kayaking, etc. with their SUVs. Unlike everybody who drives one, I actually do all that. I've found my Focus is everybit as capable, if not more, of hauling all my [censored] around and a station wagon with a lift kit. (SUV)

·
Registered
19,264 Posts

honestly... I think that you should be required to get a special class of license to drive an SUV.

All the crap surrounding the deaths due to tread seperation.... have nothing to do with the tire! They have to do with the crappy abilities of the driver! Plain and simple. At no time were they able to roll an Explorer simply when the tread sepearated from the tire.

You wanna drive it? Fine... I ain't got a problem with that. But just prove that you can!

·
Registered
228 Posts

If everyone drove smaller cars the roads would be safer.
But they don't, and until that day arrives. I will drive large. I can control the way I drive but I can't control the way others drive.

Sure there are idiots driving SUVs. There are also idiot street racers driving Civics and Foci. If your argument about not having the agility to avoid accidents was true there would be alot more 18 wheel truck driver fatalities. Face it, physics is on the SUV's side.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts