Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am bringing my car in tomorrow for an alignment. The dealer couldn't do it so I am going to a local shop that Tire Rack recommends.

I have searched and found some settings for different applications and what some people like over others.

I don't know if I will need caster/camber plates, bolts or any of the aftermarket parts and should know based on what the shop says they can do.

What I would like to do is go in with some numbers that I can tell them and see what they can do. Then go from there if I need additional adjustment parts.

my setup is stock dampers with progress tech springs and 18x7 rims with 45mm offset and 215/35/18 tires.

I saw these settings in another post for front camber "want -1 degree of camber on the fronts and -.5 degrees on rear" for standard city highway driving. As far as toe or any of the other settings I am not sure.

What do you guru's recommend?

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Unless you have camber plates and/or bolts the only thing they will be able to adjust is toe. Stock is an 1/8" toe in up front and zero in the back I believe. I've been running zero all around to try to increase my tire life, but I do have a fairly active steering wheel over rough or uneven surfaces.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I actually run 1/8th" toe out... but as Slick said you get a lot more lively steering wheel.

I would say toe settings are largely personal preference and depend on how you will use the vehicle.

Camber/caster is also dependant on what you need the car to do. (They of course require aftermarket parts to even be adjustable)

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so this bolt people are talking about in the rear is for toe? I thought it was for caster, but hell if I know.

shouldn't they be able to adjust the caster/camber somehow without plates/bolts? If not, how does the dealer do it or even at the manufacturing plant? Maybe stupid questions but I don't understand alignment too much.

Is toe where the tires point in or out as if you are looking down on the vehicle from above?

And then caster/camber where the top of the wheel sits more in or out from the bottom of the wheel or vice versa?

is that correct? If so, my car drives straight with no problem, so toe shouldn't need adjustment...if I understand what toe is.

Anyway, worse case if the shop can't adjust something they should let me know and then I will find out what I need to correct it.

thanks for the toe numbers and I will talk to them about it. I am mainly only street driving. to autox or drag.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'd just have them center the toe out 0 in front and rear then.

All that other stuff isnt an issue for you but it can effect your alignment.

The car is built with a specific ride height etc in mind so in stock form the stock pieces hold the car in a set states. When we lower the car we add more camber and the change in geometry results in toe out based on the stock setup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts