Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
What have I... What have I... What have I done to
14,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I tried using the [fj] search function to look up a how-to guide or something to get an idea of how much time I should allot to do this tomorrow, but it wanted to tell me instead to try my search later. So, can any of you guys give me a brief description of what I should look out for when swapping out to an SVT E-brake assembly?

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Easy as pie. You'll need a socket wrench with a pretty long extension. Getting the boot off will be the most difficult part, but you shouldn't have too much trouble with that. There are 2 bolts holding the stock assembly to the floor- you can see where they would be by looking at the SVT assembly that's going in. TRY NOT TO DROP THE NUTS / BOLTS! it's a pita to go digging for them.

One piece of advise is to take the cable off of the SVT handle entirely. THen on your stock handle take the nut off of the cable end and when you remove the stock handle, leave it's cable attached to the car. Put the stock cable into the SVT assembly & replace the nut when it is installed. Sure beats pulling up the center consol to fool with putting a new cable in.

·
That one was just me not paying attention....and s
7,509 Posts
also another bit of advice...like previously mentioned, you will need the old cable, you cant use the svt cable, its different under the car. Plus its easier to use the old one. after you have the colsole off (its easier with it off, trust me) pull the E-brake up so the cable is tight, and put a pair of vice grips on the cable...down next to the floor, then release the e-brake handle and the vice grips will hold the emergency brake on, so that when you take the nut off of the cable, the cable will be lose, instead of it being pulled down under the car. Then just unbolt the cable nut and the handle from the floor. Drop in the SVT handle, and feed the cable into it, bolt down the handle, and tighten (and adjust) the cable nut. you can tighten or loosen the nut to adjust the tightness of the e-brake handle. I had mine done, with pulling off the console in about 20 minutes. piece of cake. Good luck

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
I found that as long as you were careful with the nuts & bolts, and you had a long socket you didn't really need to take the console out- it would just be one more step.

I have heard of the cable being different between the SVT and other models. It's just way easier to reuse the cable that's already on the car.

I found that as long as the car is on level ground & in park, or in gear, having the eBrake on for the install wasn't a real concern.

Also, by loosening the nut on the eBrake cable, there was plenty of slack in my car. I was able to manipulate everything pretty easily without using vicegrips to clamp the cable or anything.

Over all, the install is very intuitive. There really isn't anything tricky. Just dive in & you'll be fine.

·
14,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I just pulled everything apart a little while ago and have it all put back in, only my e-brake cable isn't wanting to catch in gear like it should be. I'm gonna run out now and take another look at it, but what is involved in getting it to reattach if for some reason it didn't stay engaged like you guys'?

·
14,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Either of you guys around??

·
14,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I just checked everything out again and it turns out the owner before me never installed the E-brake cable in the first place, so it was kinda just chillin' underneath there. Boy do I love buying used cars, because that's now about the third thing I've found since purchasing the car, grr..

·
7,509 Posts
thats what I was gonna tell you, its probably under the car...glad you figured it out

·
14,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I'm gonna assume it's under the car, the thing never did wanna engage well, and when I went back out to check over everything I noticed that the cable pulled right out when I barely tugged on it. The car needs pads and probably rotors anyway in the front, so do you think I could just have my mechanic fix that e-brake too?

·
7,509 Posts
yeah, you could probably get under there and hook it back up yourself...depending on how much he wants to charge...if he is gonna do your brakes, he might hook it back up for you for free.

·
14,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well in case I get bored tomorrow on my second-straight day off from work, where would I look to find the part to hook back up? I know mostly stuff dealing with cosmetic upgrades, so I'm not incredibly advanced with my knowledge of the undercarriage and stuff. Because it may be a week or so till I can get it over to his shop, and I start back to college on Monday so...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts