Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been asked before but I was wondering how hard it would be to swap out the zetec for the SVT engine? If possible do you need the six speed of would the 5-speed tranny work? Thanks alot guys.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure you have to have the getrag with the svt engine if you are doing a swap. Not 100% so some one should correct me.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
One guy did it to a ZX2, heard it wasn't to bad. Don't take the advice of people that haven't ever done it, if you want I will lead you to the guy that did it to his zx2, as he would no, and anybody that hasn't done it, wouldn't. And I have not heard of anybody else doing this so... Also, he should be running in the 13's with just this engine swap so I would hardly call it "worthless"

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
svo_dave

ask your buddy how much he spent on all the parts. Considering he wasn't hooked up with the parts and bought them all used, then price for the computer and wiring and everything else required to do the swap.

Then factor in an extra $1000 on misc crap that you might have forgot about before. And this isn't even taking into account the time it takes. Everyone's time is worth something!

I would say someone would end up spending 3-4 grand easy on the swap. And since the stock svt is only doing low 15's at best I doubt he will be dropping into the 13's with just an engine swap.

So take that money, get a good quality built motor for FI or nos. If you have the cash or need to save up, put the FI on and you are set to go. I am not sure what a new motor costs, but I am sure it is less than the swap. So you would have money left over to go towards FI. Whether someone has done it or not, if they know enough about prices and parts needed, he should take their advice. Not saying I am the guy, but every post about this subject that has included prices and the like, end up being not worth the time and money.

I did an engine swap from a v8 stang to a 4-banger because the v8 stang body was thrashed. Anyway, the amount of time and money it ended up taking it would have been worth investing in a good body shop to fix the original v8 stang body. So I might not have done the swap in a focus, but I did in a stang!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm pretty sure it was done by FocusTuning (www.focustuning.com) to a silver focus wagon. There was a journal of the 14 days of work they put into it with photos. They also put a JRSC prototype on it.

·
Registered
993 Posts
When people are doing engine swaps, it is not all about money. Think cobra v8 swap. obviously the cobra engine is putting out much more HP, but worth the money? Probably not. It's the 'idea' that makes it that much more exciting.

·
Registered
830 Posts
"boost_till_burst" <-[not sure of spelling]. did it in a zx3 and kept the MTX-75, he is a ford tech from toronto. I know he posted about that so use search.

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
Well it might not be as expensive as you think. If you work at a shop of have the hook up it might end up not costing much. I think KSGerry actually sold one of our members an SVT engine with tranny for $800-$1000 (if it was a lil more i'm sorry). Then you add in 500-800 for installation which should be one of the easiest drop ins since its the EXACT same motor. You have to remember this isn't a Honda Swap of a CRV engine into a CRX where custom mounting points and such have to be built.

If ur using a gutted Zx3 and bolt the MTX to it with the 4.06 final gear it should be pretty damn quick.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.