Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is my first post so thanks for reading!

I've got an '03 SVT Focus that I've had for about 4 years. I love it (recently started taking it on track days) and am currently in the process of fixing some cosmetic things.

I just had a bunch of paint-work done including a complete repaint of the rear hatch. As a result the badges were removed. The SVT focus badge on the back was in perfect condition but the paint-shop said the "focus" part didn't survive when they removed it.

I know a lot of people de-badge their SVTs but I really want mine to maintain the original look. I know SVT badges are available on eBay, but there aren't any full, original "SVT focus" badges available. I was going to buy SVT and focus badges separately but now realize the SVT "focus" badge is smaller.

I can just use the SVT badge on its own I guess but I'd really like the original OE item. Does anyone here have one they'd like to sell or know where I could get one?

Thanks for your help guys!

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
I wish you luck in your search, finding someone that has one lying around is about your only hope.

I sold our last one quite a while ago and I just double checked the national parts locator and there's not a one out there anyplace.

-Steve

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've noticed some SVT foci have the entire "SVT focus" badge and others have only the "SVT" badge. Mines an '02 with the entire "SVT Focus" badge. Even in all of FORDS Promotional Literature and pictures the badges are different.

Why is that? Is it just random or is there a rhyme and a reason?

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
My 04 just has the "SVT", nothing more. Maybe by then Ford figured everybody knew it was a Focus, LOL.

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
My 04 just has the "SVT", nothing more. Maybe by then Ford figured everybody knew it was a Focus, LOL.
Nope, a previous owner removed the "Focus" portion. They all had the same hatch badge.

I did that to mine years ago. Mine got damaged while drying the car, some just didn't want it there as the "SVT" alone is a cleaner look.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,

·
Registered
109 Posts
Steve, you speak common sense, but like I said, in all my SVT Memorabilia, the pre-purchase Foci have the plain-jane "SVT" badge. It seems like Ford may have used the Contour "SVT" badge on some cars and the special "SVT Focus" badge on others. I'm not sure of all the different badge dimensions however.

Such a mystery! Happy Saturday.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I looking into having a batch made: I know they won't be cheap, most likely around $50.
I will let everyone know for sure in a couple weeks.
BTW, they will be the focus SVT style...

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
Steve, you speak common sense, but like I said in all my SVT Memorabilia, the pre-purchase Foci have the plain-jane "SVT" badge. It seems like Ford may have used the Contour "SVT" badge on some cars and the special "SVT Focus" badge on others. I'm not sure of all the different badge dimensions however.

Such a mystery! Happy Saturday.
Johns (G-forces) car is a 2004, it had the full badge for sure.

Are you talking about the pre-production cars? As in before the production cars were released?

I've never, ever seen an SVT that came down the assembly line that had a different badge. The prototype/ magazine test and/or preproduction display cars or cars used in early advertising may have had something different but if you see something different on a car on the road it was altered by the owner at some point.

-Steve

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've seen quite a few SVT foci with "SVT" only badges. I'm pretty sure it's an '04 thing. I would not think that many people would go out of their way to remove the badging.

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
I've seen quite a few SVT foci with "SVT" only badges. I'm pretty sure it's an '04 thing. I would not think that many people would go out of their way to remove the badging.
You guys can believe and speculate all you want but I can say without the shadow of a doubt that every single 2003-2004 SVT Focus came from the factory with the same badge that said "SVT Focus" P/N 2M5Z-5842528-BA.

It is within the realm of possibility (however highly unlikely) that a few SUPER early 2002s "may" have had something else but if they did I never saw one and there was only ever the one part number used for the hatch badge.

I can verify by VIN which badges were used on a given car so if anyone wants to give a VIN to see what may or may not have been there I'd be happy to check.

At this point I'm not going to argue the point any further, I've been around long enough and worked with more SVT owners than any parts guy in the country so if anyone would have run across an oddball hatch nameplate I'd likely be at the very top of the list.

Sorry if that sounds cranky or arrogant, it's not meant to be, just stating facts.

-Steve

·
Registered
109 Posts
No arguing or crankiness here. Just a rainy Saturday down south. An interesting topic that's for sure. I love my Focus (and my Lightning and my Cobra) SVT's are a fabulous and rare breed. It's all I drive (and I'm actually a Bowtie guy at heart!)

A fun google photo search:

I'm thinking the cars in the photoshoot were pre-production test cars. There's at least 3. A Red, Blue and Silver one in the track photos. (it looks like the Contour badge the closer I look) Ford did a lot of marketing before these cars showed up on dealers lots.

And here's an 04.

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
Yup, happens all the time with early advertising and promotional stuff. In fact it makes people mad sometimes because they saw something in a brochure and the production car doesn't have the exact same thing.

My 2002 which has several obvious cosmetic mods.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
I won't argue, Steve... take it from the "horses mouth", as they say. (There's a joke hiding in there somewhere... LOL) I have to believe you know what you're talking about, not only because of all your helpful info over the years, but also the fact that the previous owner used it for a show car, with all the mods being appearance related and minor.

I like the cleaner look of having just the "SVT" badge, though.

·
Camera 1, Camera 2..Camera 1, Camera 2
7,494 Posts
Removing the "Focus" off the rear badge was one of the first things I did. I HATE that font they used on the MK1.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for your feedback guys.

Yeah I just called a couple of dealers up here in Canada and they said the same thing - obsolete part.

I'm one of those guys that if I was to rebuild an old car, I'd want to do it to original, factory-spec. I just like the idea that this is exactly the way the car was intended to be.

I can live with just the "SVT" badge though - and I agree that it is a cleaner look. I just don't want no badge as it is now. There are a bunch on eBay, do you guys know if the SVT badge from other models is the same size as the Focus version? I mean if it's a little different in size no big deal, I just don't want some HUGE "SVT" badge on the back.

crapwacker - I'd definitely be interested if you're having some made! Please let us know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Cory, head over to the Buy/Sell Vehicle forum. A guy there has a wrecked SVt with a complete rear badge showing in the picture. You may ask him if it's still any good and available!

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I bought two SVTF new, one of the very first '02 and one of the very last '04 cars (late in 2005) and they all had the "SVT Focus" badges. When the cars were new and coming off the dealer lots I also never saw any that only had the "SVT" badge but it was very common for people to remove the Focus part. The pre-production press cars in the media shots posted earlier in the thread were probably built before the supplier had the "SVT Focus" badges ready. It wasn't decided until fairly late in the development cycle that the Focus wouldn't have a special name (i.e. Lightening, Cobra) and instead would simply be the SVT Focus which would back up a plausible late supplier order for the production badges.

·
I change diapers now
14,443 Posts
Chiming in.

Not a single SVTF rolled off the line with an 'SVT' only badge.

It was a previous owner or body shop.

I too would only run the badge if it said SVT Focus and not just SVT. I'm more proud of the Focus aspect than the SVT bits. I like people seeing its a Focus SVT and not just an SVT.

If my badge was damaged I think id run no badge instead. :/

- Drew

·
Registered
785 Posts
go on the buy sell trade. look for a part out. I just got my "svt focus" badge in mint shape from a guy who's parting out the car. it's on my shelf untill I get hatch REPAINTED one day.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.