Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all. What must be changed to use this head on a regular zetec? Can i do away with the VCT?

·
Registered
745 Posts
don't listen to Fo...the SVT head can be used on the standard Zetec providing certain provisions...
1) it will bolt right on but if you don't have the ECU and wiring harness you can't use the VCT or dual stage intake...
2)you will need to burn a custom chip because the cams are different.
3)you can block off the VCT port and get the FR intake mani because of pt. #1

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Please shed light..what's the difference between switching to a set of aftermarket cams and the svt cams? why is a chip needed for the svt cams?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
i remember vaguely that tom was workin on a way 2 adapt zx3 cams 2 the svt head. and thus has 2 b workin on a way 2 use a zx3 ecu and harness w/vct disabled (plugged).

-Ult

·
Registered
745 Posts
unless the head is free don't do it...it'ld be cheaper to just get a head package...cheaper and better performance.

·
Registered
803 Posts
The SVT head is supposed to flow better than the reguialr ZX3 head could ever flow, that would be the benefit. As far as the VCT, you shoudl be able to wire it up to an RPM switch and still activate it. Adapting it to regular Zetec cams would be good though.

Also, why the chip? I've swapped cams and didn't do a chip. Sure there is the potential for more power with a chip but it's not necesary.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not interested in the VCT or variable intake...just the head. Just looking at different options for high flow head.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Originally posted by spankenstein:

Also, why the chip? I've swapped cams and didn't do a chip. Sure there is the potential for more power with a chip but it's not necesary.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Same thing on my head..

Why a chip? Is there some type of major difference in cams designed for VCT that need a chip? I don't understand that. Please shed some info. Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts