Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The install is simple and straight foreward, fitment is an issue, but bending the egr pipe out of the way fixes that. The other (much more serious issue) is the power steering line that on the zetec motor is routed inwards towards the header. The header melted mine, and I went back to stock and had it replaced under warranty. Before puting the svt header back on I plan to wrap that first primary with header wrap, and have a hydraulic shop replace the rubber section of the line with a metal substitue. Haven't had it on the dyno yet, but all I have to say is wow, what a difference. If you have any questions let me know!

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290987965

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have not seen underhood of the non-svt, but if I were you I would have the shop re-route the line so it is not so close to the header. It will extend the life of the power steering not beeing so hot.
I had a fuel line within half an inch to one of my headers on my old car and it would get too hot to touch (in fact it burned my finger almost a foot away). caused a problem in the summer one time so I relocated a length of tubing a fwe inches.

·
Registered
299 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Looks great. I would recommend routing the power steering fluid line up front close to the plastic cowling where your fluid specs, etc are. I did it with a sloooooow bend when putting my Edelbrock Header on. Also put hot wrap around the coolant lines that were closest to header. Enjoy!

·
Registered
375 Posts
The covering on the fluid lines is a good idea, but I have read on certain headers, putting wrap on them puts them up to such a temp that cracking is possible. Even a header has to cool a little to keep integrity.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Fisch, I see you have the O2 sensor in the header. What did you use to connect the header with the flex pipe?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, it turns out the header was previously owned by focus central, they phlanged on a pipe that goes from the header to the flexpipe, as well as put in the o2 bungs. Hoping to get everything fixed/fabbed/installed tomorrow... more pics to come

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Question (as I'm seriously considering this for my header upgrade):

What if one was to put a thermal coating on the header first before installation? Would that make rerouting the power steering line unnecessary?

EDIT - Hmmm... thinking about it, I'd probably still want to move the power steering line. The dipstick being right on the header also makes me nervous - I can see that plastic handle melting in a heartbeat.

What the heck does SVT do about the fan? That fan being so close to the wires for the O2 sensor makes me nervous too.

[ 12-15-2002, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: Zoomer69 ]

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
zoomer- Yes you will want to still re-route the ps line, and I had my dipstick outside of the first primary, not between it and the second. Also, those o2 bungs were fabbed by focus central, the stock ones on an svt are downstream of the header.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts