Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UPDATE!
Click here to jump straight to my post with the new pictures!
==========

Pictures by and posted for Walter (FocusBoy). Comentary is soley mine.

First of all, this is a continuation of THIS THREAD. Let's see if we can keep this one on topic, ok?
Click on the pictures for bigger full resolution versions. They're the full 1600x1200 and will take a few moments to load.

Before...

During...

Bye, bye EGR!

Uh, Bob, you sure we ordered the right replacement part, this one looks a little different...

Houston, we have a problem, er gap...

And after. Note the need to modify the dip stick tube slightly.

Once again, this is a thread about the SVT Header, fitting it to a non-SVT car, and RELATED issues. Let's try to keep it that way.

For easy reference: The part number for this is 2M5Z.9430.AA and it is available through parts.com*, though you'll have to call them since the SVT Focus parts don't appear to be in the on-line catalog yet. You should also be able to get it from your local Ford dealer*.

*Prices may vary, shipping and handling extra, etc., etc.

Edited a few times to fix UBB code.

[ 10-28-2002, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: CharlesWA ]

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
perfect freaking spot for a cat damnit...awesome, the header looks great, i wonder if it flows better then the available raceheaaders right now, since it is HUGE in diameter....cant wait to get mine, plus u know the quality is good cause its OEM

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
i am now ordering that and a YODUDE 2.5" flexpipe...exhuast will be next

Whats the distance from the flexpipe to the header? CAN I GET AN EXACT MEASUREMENT please, that way i can just take the header and flexipe to the muffler shop and tell him to make it XXXX long with these and those flanges, so i dont have to drive my car there with no backpressure and blow up the engine....i know the flexpipe can be moved a bit here and there, so an good measurement should be good enough, or i guess i can just measure it from the header to the stock bracket and then just tell him to make it that long, that would work too huh??

It should be no problem getting a pipe made in there....woohooo, maybe even a small cat or something...im excited again

[ 10-14-2002, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: nazthug ]

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
can we use the stock 02's?

I know the EGR wont fit, no prob, its geting torn out anyways, but what about o2 sensors, do we have to use SVT ones or will ours fit? I really hope they will...

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
im guessing that with the proper header-flexpipe test pipe made, the stock hanger at the tranny can be used right> I wouldnt want the heavy svt header, flexpipe, testpipe all hanging off the head, so does it look like it can be done guys?? I hope so, gotta dig up that damn bracket now...hmm, where is that damn thing

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'll try to get that measurement tonight cause I need it too to finish the system. Regarding the O2 sensors........ First, there is no O2 bung on the header. Second, you could always put the O2's in the new short pipe and use an O2 cheater, but couldn't you just remove the O2 sensors from their respective disconnects and put an O2 cheater devise between the 2 O2 connectors.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Originally posted by FocusBoy:
but couldn't you just remove the O2 sensors from their respective disconnects and put an O2 cheater devise between the 2 O2 connectors.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">and run your car off of what data????

u do know the car RUNS off the o2 sensors right?????

Well, at least 1 of them, cancel them both out, and im not sure if the car will even run...probably in limp mode

[ 10-14-2002, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: nazthug ]

·
Registered
1,103 Posts

I like it !
! Now we know it's possible to do it !
!

Then you could put the Exhaust too on it ? or other parts is necessary ?

Wich parts for those things is needed ?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Not sure how the ECU works but I would assume it just measures a difference in voltage between the two O2 sensors.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Originally posted by FocusBoy:
Not sure how the ECU works but I would assume it just measures a difference in voltage between the two O2 sensors.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No, You need just the first o2 sensor. I would get a bung welded in the test pipe close to the flex pipe side so as to make sure you get a solid reading after scavenging (sp?). You should also get a chip with the EGR system and catalyst monitor removed so the CEL won't come on.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Can we do this in Cali if we slip a cat in? Or will the greenies bust us for it not being stock? Stupid CARB

·
Registered
625 Posts
Originally posted by RainyZX3:
Can we do this in Cali if we slip a cat in? Or will the greenies bust us for it not being stock? Stupid CARB
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You could prolly do it in Cali, most cops dont reall do the inspection themselves. Although if they think something is not right they will order you to take it to an inspector to get it checked out. Besides, if you run it with a cat you should not have a problem with it anyways, unless you drive like a moron.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
plus they wont even know its an aftermarket header, because, wel, its not, its got a FORD part # on it and all...so they will realy realy never know, unless the cop is from focaljet and has read this thread....very unlikely, thats what attracts me to this header...just gotta extend the o2 sensor wire to the testpipe

NORESULL< would it make a difference with the o2 sensor in the pipe after the header? Or does it realy matter where it goes??

·
Registered
245 Posts
I believe the header is ALL SQUIGGLY because it is a tuned header. The bends are made to make peak HP levels in throughout the rpm band, its a 4 to 2 to 1 header for high flow but has bends in it to keep the method of a high rise header which is to increase pivotal torque. Basically it kinda uses the concept that formula 1 guys use, they put different bends and curves to optimize the horsepower and torque curve. So with all that said the best way to explain it is that SVT put lots of thought into this header and wasn't playing around!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts