Ford Focus Forum banner

SVT HID Wiring

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  GapBoyPCS 
#1 ·
I'm completely at a loss when it comes to wiring up any thing. Well I got a set of SVT HID's with the custom Ford Wiring Harness and although it looks easy, i'm confused. Just where do I hook up the wires? I mean yes they say battery, ground, ect. and I know what they are for with those labels but just where do I hook it up to the battery? Or where is the best ground? I need help with maybe with pics if possible on where to put these wires...like how do I connect the ignition wire and how? or the "Grill Park" wires...i really need help as I need these working by Sunday...and thanks for all the help!

#4 ·
Yes that is with the VW plugs...I however have the custom harness from Ford Racing Performance Parts...the set up is completely different! Thus those write ups are worthless to me unless I'm missing something...but yeah here are some pics of my harness.

See the green part goes to the stock harness, the long one to the HID assembly. Then there is the battery, ground and ignition. The ignition wire is the red one. The batter is the one with the three fuses built in and well the ground is the black one. So where do I connect the wires? Where does the ignition one go and where is the best battery connection for that ring on the end of the wire? I mean it looks so easy but I just don't know the correct hook up spots and the ignition one is just ...well IDK where in the world to hook it up to.

#5 ·
Wow, they did a very nice job on that harness.
Lift your battery up and there is a small "compartment" under it that black box might fit into and be out of sight. Connect the positive ring to the positive terminal and the ground ring to the chassis ground to the right of the battery mounted next to the fender,( or where ever it will ground to). Run the ignition wire all the way inside the car (look in ICE forum for ways to get into the car from the engine) and splice into the yellow wire with the green stripe in the steering column. That should do it.

#6 ·
what the hell is that box for?

um, you don't need all that.

personally, i'd rewire it like in the howto's but thats me..

you don't need those 3 fuses, changing out the stock 2 10amps to 2 15amps like in the how-to works perfectly...

#8 ·
Didn't any instructions come with it? I thought there was some sort of how-to included.

I'd suggest you call Ford Racing's hotline at 586-468-1356 from 10am to 6pm EST, to see if they have any input. Otherwise, see if you can get a hold of one of the past Focus Fanatic magazines. There was a small how-to on the FRPP install.

I would also vote on you wiring them using what you got. There's no use in you spending more money on something that gets you the same results.

#10 ·
on the FRPP branded wiring harness, there are none.

they are wired to come on and not blink. they just come on with your parkig lights and require the use of a center turn signal grill.

unless of course you re-wire them and then you can remove your center turn signals.

#11 ·

they are wired to come on and not blink. they just come on with your parkig lights and require the use of a center turn signal grill.

unless of course you re-wire them and then you can remove your center turn signals.
Can you please explain how to re-wire the turn signals using the FRPP wiring harness? I am also having the same problem.

#12 ·
what the hell is that box for?

um, you don't need all that.

personally, i'd rewire it like in the howto's but thats me..

you don't need those 3 fuses, changing out the stock 2 10amps to 2 15amps like in the how-to works perfectly...
If i remember correctly, with the ford harness the HIDs burn brighter. Contact ford racing to see if they have a diagram or somehting.

#13 ·
they don't burn brighter thats for sure.

the FRPP kit is the exact same headlight as the Mach Audio/SVT ones.

their wiring harness is meant to turn the amber lights inside the light into DRL/always ons and retaining teh stock front upper grill lights.

#14 ·

Can you please explain how to re-wire the turn signals using the FRPP wiring harness? I am also having the same problem.
Hold on...I'm getting a brainstorm (step back
)

The two small stubby black leads are supposedly tied into the parking lamp circuit, right?

The turnsignal lamps operate on "hi" and "lo". When you turn the parking lamps, the signal lamps are on "lo". When you put the blinkers on, then the lamps alternate between "hi" and "lo", giving you the blinking effect. There should be two wires going to the turn signals on the bumper, and three coming from the grille.

So...what I'm trying to say is: just splice into the wire that gives you the "hi". YOu can easily test this by taking out the bulb of the turnsignal and shoving in the lead into one of the contacts of the bulb holder? Then, turn on the hazards and note which contact and the corresponding wire makes it blink on.

Just a thought

#15 ·
they don't burn brighter thats for sure.

the FRPP kit is the exact same headlight as the Mach Audio/SVT ones.

their wiring harness is meant to turn the amber lights inside the light into DRL/always ons and retaining teh stock front upper grill lights.
Actually, the SVTF's that came up for my On Track from SVT in 2003 were brighter than my "hacked" install, or at least that's what everyone concluded visually. Either that, or I was just too used to my HIDs

#16 ·
I have the FRPP wiring harness and the amber lights in my HIDs do not come on at all, not even as DRLs. The large clear bulbs to the inside of the HIDs never light up either. WTF?

When my headlights are on, the main HIDs comes on and so does the tiny lights in the corners. (this is correct I believe)

when my parking lights are on, only the tiny lights in the corners of the headlights come on, thats it.

Can someone please tell me which # wire on the FRPP harness controls the amber bulb? Also which # wire controls the large clear bulbs, and how are the clear bulbs supposed to function?

#17 ·
I have the FRPP wiring harness and the amber lights in my HIDs do not come on at all, not even as DRLs. The large clear bulbs to the inside of the HIDs never light up either. WTF?

When my headlights are on, the main HIDs comes on and so does the tiny lights in the corners. (this is correct I believe)

when my parking lights are on, only the tiny lights in the corners of the headlights come on, thats it.

Can someone please tell me which # wire on the FRPP harness controls the amber bulb? Also which # wire controls the large clear bulbs, and how are the clear bulbs supposed to function?
The large clear bulbs are for the high beams only. The internal wiring did not allow for these to become DRLs. As a result, the amber ones were designated as the only possible solution.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.