Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a zx3 and yesterday i came across a wrecked svt, its only 2 weeks old has not even a 100 miles on it.. it was rearended and its a total loss. just wondering if it would be possible to change the head off the svt to my stock bottom end and change out the tranny and ecu. i know the svt's bottom end is the same as mine so i think it would work. let me know what you guys think.. thanks.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Well, actually the bottom end of an SVT motor is stronger than a regular ZX3's. Using forged components and the like. I would agree with the whole motor swap (with ECU and wiring harnesses) as opposed to just individual components. [You would need at least the dual-stage intake to go with that head, and the throttle-body, and the ECU, and a different harness to make it work)

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
the bottom end isn't QUITE the same, but you're right, it might work. no one has tried it yet though, because its generally cost-prohibitive and hard to find a wrecked SVT. seeing that you found one, i'd have to second the above opinion and say pull the whole damned thing. the SVT has forged pistons (i think) and definitely a higher CR so you might as well just get the whole thing. make sure if you do that that you also pull the airbox and MAF and all that because i dont think its the same either. keep us posted if you decide to do it!

edit: DARN you beat me by a minute

[ 10-04-2002, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: FocusOnPunk ]

·
Registered
412 Posts
ford hasnt released the part numbers on the head and tranny yet. thats why no one has done this sort of thing yet. but arent you the lucky one finding a wrecked SVT. i say what the other guys say pull the whole motor.

mike

·
Registered
255 Posts
pull the motor or else me and donszx3 are gonna find what u came across and take that svt motor....besides, it'll make a perfect sixth motor and 3rd tranny for my car.

don't waste your time with head swap.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Buy the whole thing - Use it as a parts car.

The only thing that remains the same between the SVT Engine and the standard Zetec is the block itself, everything else has been reworked.

Like I said, the king of all parts cars.

- Drew

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
went and checked the car over totally today. got the seats, all wheel discs, and complete exhaust system off. the car starts but the tranny doesnt want to engage. it grinds going into all of the gears, with the clutch pushed in completly. just wondering if the five speed will work with the engine. oh and the car is basically a replacement car. i know the fella so the svt now has stock seats, drums, and a pacesetter exhaust and stock header..

·
Registered
745 Posts
just reitterating what a few have said...you need the ECU and wiring harness as well...that controlls the dual stage intake and other goodies that the SVT has instore

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Originally posted by focusownerskid:

<snip>
The only thing that remains the same between the SVT Engine and the standard Zetec is the block itself, everything else has been reworked.
<snip>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yup, the block and the crank. Everything else is as they say, "breathed on by Cosworth."

Damn nice find!!! Even if the tranny is messed up right now, while fixing it, have them install the FS lightened flywheel, Quaife LSD and Clutchmaster clutch! Whoohooo!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i have the goodies i got in my car now. the exhaust is a good swift kick in the arse. it has excellent top end now, even on my lil ol zetec. we started working on the engine yesterday and got it out late last night. the tranny is screwed though. it took a pretty hard jolt so im gonna take it to the shop and see if they can find out whats up. other than that everything else is great, ecu is out just gotta wait on the tranny.
as soon as i can source a digital camera ill post up some pics of the zx3 frankenstien im workin on!
oh id like to send out my sympathies to our jetter who passed away yesterday. coming from someone whos been in two high speed crashes i know alot about the situation. diego and the passengers will be in my prayers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts