Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was very much wondering if the SVT Focus manifold would work with say an aftermarket vtech controller.. Has anyone seen these setups.. if its just a simple servo that controls it it would seem that a unit such as that or even an msd activation at certain rpm unit would do the trick as well.. even though it is expesnive no more so then the ungodly fr200. And with porting the svt manifold could really flow some numbers. Sure modifications would be needed but the the airfuel sitaution should be taken care of by the stardard equipment already on board in the focus engine compartment and i wouldnt see why you would need a further modification besides mayby TB fittment issues Throttle linkages and mayby clearing away some room for its extra size. Any one played with one of these units? Im very curious about this.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
im guessing since its "dual-stage" that is either "on or off" so to speak. but i drive a lowly zetec, so im just guessing. i want to say though, even though i have no idea if this would work, i would venture to say no because of the vastly different ways the two systems work.

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
I wouldn't be so quick at that. While I know little on both technologies, I see some similarities.

When VTEC engages, a selanoid (sp?) has to lock the cam followers togeter (via oil pressure I believe), so some on/off signal has to be sent.

If the SVT intake manifold is dualstage in the way that it is on/off, then that signal could be adapted to tell the intake manifold to 'engage'.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
thats true...i guess what im ignorant about is not how each manifold works, but in how the VTEC controller works. if it works as you describe, and it is simply an on/off signal, it could work.
be a pioneer and try, travis!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anybody wanna donate money to benifit jetters everywhere fund?
I might see what i can do im going to have some extra money come in. and the system is definatly off/on it doesnt have scaling intake runners (would be cool though
). Turbo tom said it was activated via TPS/RPM signal from the ecu... so its basically an rpm operated switch seeing how most people who like their rods dont drive 7000 rpms at part throttle. Might be able to do cheaper and go with msd rpm activation trigger unit. 100 dollars for adjustable "Z-Tec" engaugments. 416 for the manifold... 20% more power. yum sounds like fun. specially with some ford racing stage 3`s and the new head package... anyone hear a 180 at the wheels N/A Focus knocking for under 2 grand??

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
no offense, but ill be much more excited when it stops knocking and comes through that damn door with dyno sheet in hand

you get workin boy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts