Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the SVT forum, maybe I'll get a better response up here.

I am wanting to use more boost with my JRSC. I have emailed Jackson several times reguarding a boost kit. They say they don't know when they will have one. So my questions are, is anyone running more boost with thier supercharger? If so have you replaced your injectors and what with? What PSI are you running? Are you using a intercooler? Where did you purchase the pulley's and belts? etc etc etc.

Your help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
well you can't use an intercooler with the jrsc since it is part of the manifold. However one person on here did custom build an intercooler to work with the JRSC, but it involved modifying the jrsc manifold. I am not sure how the end result turned out.

as for the pulley, I haven't seen anyone with the svt version change he pulley. I have read some zx3 owners have changed the pulley.

hopefully they will chime in on if it did anything and where to get them. I am not sure how much more you are looking for, but it probably won't be a huge increase. 10-20hp maybe. I could be wrong though. something else that might help you out is getting a ported head, see if they released the cams yet for the svt(I forgot who was making them). Then if you do that stuff I would have it dynoed and see where your A/F ratios are and if you need more fuel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know Jackson makes an Intercooler for the Honda's. I wonder what kind of modifications the SVT SC would need to bolt it on?

As far as boost I was thinking 9-10 PSI. If no one gives up any of thier boost experience with the SVT I might just take it down to a local shop that does some trick work. right now they are building a supercharged 350 for his truck. It should be nice. Thanks for your ideas tho, I should look into porting and polishing the head.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I believe porting and polishing the head would improve flow but lower your boost. So you will get more power. As for how much power, I won't guess on that. I don't think it's fair.
Jackson Racing says to stay away from cams, so I wouldn't bother wasting your money on that.
And JR also sells some sort of generic aftercooler that I have heard is good for 1psi.

I say, if you do a smaller pulley, get bigger injector, better fuel management, and new MAF(ie Pectal or Tom's Mic).
This way, you know your running safe.
But by the time you do that, you might as well just buy Tom's kit and call it a day. Then you will have as much power as you'll need.

To me, the JRSC feels great as is. I might do a couple of things here and ther, but overall, I'm more than happy with what the standard kit gives. I have the feeling you will also.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Why would you need better fuel mngt? I thought that the black box sinces boost, and corrects the injectors to compensate. The black box does not "know" the size of the injectors, or anything of that nature. So if you where to get bigger injectors and mas as well as a custom pulley, wouldnt that do the trick? Just tell me if I am way off, because I am wanting to get a custom pulley if I come up with some good research.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
David,

You can get just larger injecters and a recal'ed MAF for the larger injectors and it might be ok, but how do you know what size injectors you should go with?

I think the reason he is saying better fuel management is because JR's management is based on the stock setup. When you modify the stock setup, the black box I don't think will know to compensate for it.

If all the black box does is sense boost and adjusts the fuel accordingly, then it will not adjust the fuel properly if you have a better flowing head. As stated, the head with flow better which will actually lower the boost, but the car will be running more effecient at the lower boost therefore creating more power. Granted we aren't sure how much power that is, so the stock MAF and injectors could be sufficient with the black box, but who knows...anyone try this with the svt yet?

So, for argument sake say we make another 30hp or something. Well you should definitely have the proper injectors and corresponding MAF. But the is "bandaide" tuning. Since the black box was not setup for something like this, then another means of fuel management should be used for safety. You can go get the car dyno'ed with just he MAF and injectors and check the A/F ratio and if everything is good, then you might be ok. But it would be safer to have some sort of control over the situation. Even doing this Ford Chip if it can be utilized.

So the other night when we were talking about extrude honed, depending on if it is worth the money, you might have to take that into consideration. Although since you are only doing that(extrude honing) to the blower, the black box will sense the boost and adjust the fuel accordingly.

Now by getting a smaller pulley, you will increase boost. I don't know enough about the black box, but if you increase the boost by a couple #, and the black box compensates for that with the injectors, when will the injectors be maxed out. I have no clue what the stock injectors are or their capability.

I think for the most part this thinking is correct. Someone please correct me if I am wrong...I have been up for almost 24hrs now....time for bed!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Thanks Sonic.
Even as tired as you are, you said it the way I meant it

·
Registered
409 Posts
In case you wondered, stock injectors are equivalent to APPROXIMATELY 15 lbs per hour (don't flame me if I'm off a bit). If you up your boost, you will overdrive those so you need to upgrade the before burning them out. I totally scrapped the black box from JR when I dropped to a 2.6" pulley - I had a chip burnt to match my needs/equiptment (42 lb inj with calibrated 70 mm MAF, etc). Now I'm going to Tom when the new block & modified unit is reinstalled because I learned an EXPENSIVE lesson - no company can "guesstimate" your tuning needs. Even though I sent all the upgrades, boost level, and info the chip company required, I still blew it up. A new stage 2 head, bottom half (from Tom), and THOUSANDS of $$$$ later, and I am absolutely sure it's all about the tuning. Repeat after me "It's all about the tuning". Don't make the same mistake I did - At least I had a second car, but what if you don't? The bus sucks (from what I've heard from some fellow employees who have to use public transportation).
Dyno tune or walk after the BOOM.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
In case you wondered, stock injectors are equivalent to APPROXIMATELY 15 lbs per hour (don't flame me if I'm off a bit). If you up your boost, you will overdrive those so you need to upgrade the before burning them out. I totally scrapped the black box from JR when I dropped to a 2.6" pulley - I had a chip burnt to match my needs/equiptment (42 lb inj with calibrated 70 mm MAF, etc). Now I'm going to Tom when the new block & modified unit is reinstalled because I learned an EXPENSIVE lesson - no company can "guesstimate" your tuning needs. Even though I sent all the upgrades, boost level, and info the chip company required, I still blew it up. A new stage 2 head, bottom half (from Tom), and THOUSANDS of $$$$ later, and I am absolutely sure it's all about the tuning. Repeat after me "It's all about the tuning". Don't make the same mistake I did - At least I had a second car, but what if you don't? The bus sucks (from what I've heard from some fellow employees who have to use public transportation).
Dyno tune or walk after the BOOM.

Living proof that you can't ubgrade this kit unless you do the things we have been saying(injectors, MAF, tuning via Pectal or Tom's Mic and smaller pulley).
Anyone doing who doesn't do one or all of theses steps is asking for big trouble.
I'm no engine guru, but I've been around cars long enough to know how important the right amount of fuel effects an engine

1 - 9 of 9 Posts