Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time Focus owner, first time SVT owner. Just picked up my '03 SVT w/Euro package, HID, cold weather & audiophile package. Great car but I'm having some issues:

1. The parking brake is out of adjustment. The handle easily pulls far enough to pop the boot out of the console. If I don't pull the brake back past the normal spot, the rear brakes won't engage enough to keep the car from rolling. Does anyone have a write up on how to adjust the parking brake? Seems every single car I buy is different.

Which brings me to my next issue...

2. When parking on an incline, I always put my car in 3rd and of course set the parking brake. However, the car wants to roll back when in 3rd gear. Doesn't do this in 1st. Clutch problem?

3. The car makes an odd sound when driving at speed. Hard to describe. Almost sounds as if the pads were dragging on the rotors. The sound becomes a bit more faint when the car is rolling but not in gear. At first I thought it could be the tires, but it sounds less like normal road noise than it does some sort of friction in the front end.

4. Sitting at a stop light, the brake pedal gets very soft/spongy. The pedal actually hits the floor. Pump it a few times and it feels fine. This only happens when the car has been stopped & idles for a while. Otherwise the brakes feel okay.

5. The dumbest problem...I can't get the shift knob off. Did Ford superglue it on the shift handle?

Well thats it. THe car is under warranty still, so I'm taking it to the shop for these issues. Want to prepare myself to the trip to the Ford dealer and I was just curious if these were common and/or known SVT issues.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
457 Posts
For the clutch and brake issue, I would say you probably need to bleed the lines. How does the fluid level look in the master cyclinder?

For the shift knob, pull the boot up over the knob. There is a spot to put a wrench.

·
Registered
937 Posts
When removing the knob, make sure that when you put the wrench on the flattened area, that you also grab hold of the shifter itself with a set of vice grips. The last thing you want is to break anything on the lower shifter assembly from trying to remove the knob (that thing is on there).

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent. Thanks for the information.

Fluid level was a tad low. There is a decent amount of brake wear as well. I'll be replacing the front pads & rotors as soon as I sell the 240. Guess I'll spring for the vacuum bleeder thing from FocusSport to bleed all 4-corners and probably the clutch as well. I'm assuming the clutch on the SVT also ties into the brake system?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Rolling in third on a hill is normal. When you are on a hill, the torque at the wheels is tranmitted to the crank. If there is enough torque, it will overcome the compression of the engine and it will begin to turn over. Third gear simply transmits more torque to the crank than first, so it's more likely to start rolling. In fact third transmits 2.23 times more torque than first. Knowing this, it's not usually a good idea to try a rolling "jump start" in first if your battery is dead.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Parking brake question: You should really never need to adjust the PB. The fact that yours is way out means that the rear brakes are toast. Pull them apart and make sure that the calipers are not frozen. I'll wager that you find problems there.

Also, you really should never need to add fluid to the Master Cyl. It will go down as the brake pads wear but, if you top it off, you will just overflow it when you push the pistons back in during a brake job. I use the level to gauge my brake wear. When the cylinder gets down, it is time for pads.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Parking brake question: You should really never need to adjust the PB. The fact that yours is way out means that the rear brakes are toast. Pull them apart and make sure that the calipers are not frozen. I'll wager that you find problems there.

Also, you really should never need to add fluid to the Master Cyl. It will go down as the brake pads wear but, if you top it off, you will just overflow it when you push the pistons back in during a brake job. I use the level to gauge my brake wear. When the cylinder gets down, it is time for pads.
The car is in definite need of new pads & rotors. Fronts are cupped/grooved. Rears look okay...probably just need to turn the rotors & install new pads.

After I added fluid, it suddenly dawned on me that I shouldn't have done that. I'm still in the 1991 Nissan 240 mindset...still trying to solve the mystery of the dissapearing brake fluid (leaky master cylinder)

I'll suck some of the extra fluid out before I compress the calipers on my brake job. Out of curiosity, in the even I run into a frozen caliper, how much are replacements?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got the car back from the shop:

Right axle bearing was shot which was the cause of the front end noise.

Parking brake cable was shot.

Door handle was shot.

She runs great now...nice & quiet. Feels great to get out of the poop brown '05 4-door Focus loaner and back behind the wheel of the SVT.

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
I am glad to hear that your SVTF is all fixed now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts