Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a lot of choices in 17s; in fact, this is the only 40-series I found. Anyone foresee problems with this combination?

17x7 Kazera KZ-Vs
205-40-17 Kumho Ecsta V700s shaved (heat cycled, too?)

Car is rarely driven other than to autox events, so speedo error isn't a factor. Current 225-45-17 Azenis scrub on tight courses. Moving from street tire to stock ...

any alternatives?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Toyo makes the ra-1 in 205/40. That's what I plan to get next year (well hopefully I can make it that long), this year it's 205/55/16. I think Vilven tire has the best prices.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Pirelli P-Corsa's come in 215/45YR17 but they are EXPENSIVE!!!!
I would look at getting the Kazera 16" wheels (SlickShoes is running them), and then your options open up a bit. Plus it helps with the gearing.

The front runner tire in the 16" might be the new Hankook R Compound 215/40/16. Otherwise you can go with a 205/55/16 RA-1's or A032R's. (which I don't like because they are pretty tall).
Kuhmo makes a V700 in a 205/45VR16 which should be nice and will heat up quickly for auto-x. There are options, just not much for the SVT because we need a minimum of 16" wheels. But like I said.. 16" with the new Hankook Ventus might be a great idea, provides R Compounds, with a little longevity and helps gearing. The only downside is that these tires are geared for road racing and might not come to temp as quickly as you'd like.

·
Premium Member
5,524 Posts
G-Stock (which I think is what Des is going to run next year) requires OEM-sized rims. I believe the width has to be the same and you get 1/4" inch (double check the rules before buying, or have me check my rule book
) to play with on offset. That means 17" rims for a SVT...

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
not quite true. i know an SVTF driver who runs the AS hoosiers just fine. don't recall the size however...

but, the 245/40ZR17's available at tire rack should work w/o rubbing.

·
Registered
263 Posts
He must have been running 225/45-17. Didn't really consider these because on a 7" rim, you're going to get scrubbing that was previously mentioned as the sidewalls "fall" in. On the other hand this is a very sticky tire . . .

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
if it's just for autocross then it shouldn't be too much of a problem since the rubbing is only going to happen on the course. but, i suppose if he wanted to drive to the even on them hoosiers wouldn't be a good idea.

i know more than a few people who drive to events on their Ecsta V700s, so maybe that's the real option. road course compounds would deficit from not being able to heat up effectively...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the replies! Yep, have to stick with a 17x7, and the offset on these is pretty close. i hate the idea of a narrower tire, but the 225s sound like they're coming through the fenders if i'm aggressive enough to be competitive.

looking forward to a little better gearing, though.

so, for pure autox use, do these have to be heat cycled as well as shaved? Thanks for the help. These will be my first Rs and I'm still learning. And i wanted to make sure there wasn't some grippy 215/40/17 out there waiting for me to stumble across it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Shaving will reduce tread squirm, shed more weight and give you even better gearing while sacraficing some treadwear.

Heat cycling "re-cures" the tires for better wear and more consistent times.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
I would definately get them heat-cycled, that's pretty much a no brainer. If your running in dry warm weather only you might actually see similar tire life with a shaved tire only because you don't have the tread squirm creating excess heat. But I doubt you'll ever see "longer" life after shaving.

If your going to be using the tires for wet traction, then full tread is the only way to go.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Odd. I called Tire Rack to see about how long a special order would take, and they won't sell me the tires. 205/40/17s apparently don't meet the load capacity Ford requires (Ford wants 1135 lbs; an unshaved V700 has a capacity of 996 lbs). Their Web site shows load capacity for a shaved V700 as 1300-plus; apparently, that's wrong.

The only tire that they'll sell for my application is the Pirelli, at $220 a corner.

surely someone out there in SVT land is running Kumho Rs on 17s.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Well I know that ZXMurph has been running 205/40/17 Toyo RA-1's on his car for the past while. They only have a max load of 1102 lbs. If you can find a way to fit 235/40's They have a 1300 lbs load rating and has a 2mm lower profile than stock. (still don't think it will fit).

But just letting you know, if TireRack won't sell it to you, just buy from someone else.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
reports on tirerack customer service people and how well they handle red flags on their ordering system are pretty widely varying. my V700s don't "technically" meet load rating but i told them that it was ok, i knew what i was doing. same thing on my ContiExtremeContacts, which are a bit larger than stock. just be matter of fact about it, and if they won't sell it to you tell them you'll go to someone else. if they don't sell it to you then, then go to someone else!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Re: SVT R compounds & load ratings

For race tires we don't require that the tires have the same load rating as we require for a race situation. For race tires everything is a custom fit as if you're racing your vehicle then you're fully responsible for your decisions.

If a Tire Rack rep does not sell you a R compound race tire because of load capacity, he or she is probably a new rep unaware of the rules.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Re: SVT R compounds & load ratings

last time i went to an autocross i met this guy there that had an extra set of SVT rims wearing 235/40 tires he said he needed to get spax shocks so that he doesnt rub and he got GREAT times it was my frist time my best was 70.170 and his best was 60.x and the only difference between our cars was tires and shocks! and drivers skill of course. i think his tire was a khumo V700

1 - 17 of 17 Posts