Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could these be a direct swap??

Im pretty much just looking for rods that would swap right in, i know aftermarket rods wont because of the floating pin design, you have to also swap the pistons, and new pistons dont just go in, you have to bore and hone the block

If i could find some stronger than stock rods to just bolt up to the stock pistons, that would be awesome

So i was thinking the svt ones, but i dont even know if they are the same size

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
They are reported to have a larger wrist pin diameter so they too would require different pistons. Aren't the eagles a direct swap?

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
That is dumb. Talk about a quick way to limit your market. Any piston manufacturer (JE/Wiseco, C&A, Ross etc) could easily make the piston pin hole slightly larger so that the press fit pistons would become floaters. Now, no one who has factory pistons or any other pistons that are based on factory can use these rods. Total idiots, IMO.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Man, someone need to make these. These would sell like hotcakes if someone made them.

Maybe thats what we need to do? Get a petition started to show interest in the product and send it to one of the companies?

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
And to boot, there is no way to make a hole smaller, while it is very easy to make it larger. Damn. Someone needs to email those Eagle guys this thread.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
because there are a buncha guys who dont need a full buildup and spend thousands, but swaping rods would be great, cause NOTHING has to be done to the engine

$400 for the rods, and install yourself and youre set for nice boost without worry...stock compression is PLENTY low for good boost...

DAMNIT, i would get those in a HEARBEAT

·
Senior TEAM Member
4,821 Posts
Why are you guys allways looking for a short cut to things that will need to be done anyway

you bunch of tight wads

you need better pistons also this is why eagle makes the rods the way they do ,so you cant buy a good rod and put a crappy piston back on it

If you do it right the first time you wont have do to it right the second time

food for focus

tom

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Dude, maybe if we had money to throw around like you do, don't be an ass...

You might need new pistons if you are going to have a setup like the one you have. But for someone that has 200-220whp, and just wants the extra insurance, what is wrong w/ doing this?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
for 200-220whp, the stock stuff is fine, as many on here have proven.

When it's time for rods, just wait longer and get pistons too.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
What's funny Tom is there are several that have dropped thousand's in stereo/DVD etc.
Then a few more thousand on wheels, spring,bars, struts and so on. I won't even get into the headlight swaps...opps, just did.

So, just how much does it cost to switch to good rods,pistons and pins?

·
Senior TEAM Member
4,821 Posts
I agree they are talking about doing the rods allready so the only thing we are talking about is pistons and thats what 475.00,rings 80.00,hone block 90.00

I dont have money to just throw around i spend it where it is needed and on things so i dont have to do it over again later

tom

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Tom,
Rods - $375
Pistons and all that is needed with them - $645.
That is an additional 172%. That is a big deal. And can you honestly say that the stock pistons are inadequate for NA work?

·
Senior TEAM Member
4,821 Posts
No they arnt but if you tune it correctly neather are the rods

I was only saying this because they were allready talking about putting in the rods and wanted a cheep way to not install pistons

If you are going to do rods the engine has to come down anyway to balance it, so it would be crazy not to install pistons at this time also

tom

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
So you are saying that a properly tuned, naturally aspirated Focus needs both rods and pistons? I would think that proper tuning would make these parts not required. At what RPM/power level do these things become a must?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Simply swapping rods is a HUGE mistake from a balance and rod weight perspective. The ONLY way to do it correctly is just like Tom says. Pull it down and build it 1 time. You'll save money in the long term.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts