Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is on! and dam is it a tight fit on the auto.
I cut the air box to match the snorkel.
It will be sitting for a day or 2 so the silicone caulk has plenty of time to dry.

Thanks all for your input!

[ 02-07-2003, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: zetecwagon ]

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
While I have seen my k&n FIPK adapted, and Egz's Volant, I'm not too sure I'd know where to look for those stock airbox pix either.
It shouldn't be hard. I ordered a variety of speaker port tubes to adapt from the inside of the airbox, down through a bored-out hole, and over the cut, and slightly re-shaped tip of the SVT part. The tube acts as a junction, jetting the air into the intake area like a slight funnel.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MichaelXi.
My plan is to cut the box as close as possible to the outlet for the snorkel, get the thing in there and use a heat gun to form a 1/4" lip on the end of the snorkel. Then use some epoxy, hi-temp silly-cone, or RTV gasket sealant on the outside of the air box to keep it in place. I'm just not sure what to use to seal it with, oh well there is always duct tape.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I did the same thing. I pulled out the air box, and cut a hole about the right size. Then I put the SVT snorkle in. The plugs fit it in the same holes as the stock one if I recall. That pretty much held it in place. I put the air box back in, but unfortunately the hole i cut was too big, so I cut up the old snorkle and used it to patch the hole. I sealed it with RTV silicone. Never had any problems since.

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
oh jesus just do it, and when you come to a barricade in the road...climb over it...it has to be an easy thing to install...

sorry about the flameage...im sorry really....

[ 02-02-2003, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: Sir_Gawain ]

·
Registered
489 Posts
wow thats a great attitude zetec wagon....awesome, and also you You own a wagon? SAWEET!!!!!!

wagons rock yo.

G

·
0 Posts
Check www.myzx3.com if you need more info, they did SVT snorkel and volant combo. I did mine with duct tape and heated cutting knife. Not the best way for sure

=dRe=

·
Registered
107 Posts
I posted this before a long time ago, but it it worth reposting. this is the best method for installing the SVT snorkle to the stock airbox, and requires virtually no cutting.

Needed: heat gun, dremel, work gloves

1. remove lower half of airbox from car
2. there will be support flanges on the outside of the tube that exits on bottom of airbox - cut them off with dremel so that it is round and smoothed out.
3. take your heat gun and heat up the end of the SVT snorkle until soft, but DON'T melt it.
4. put on the gloves and shape it until somewhat round.
5. reheat and soften the now round end of snorkle.
6. slip the snorkle end over the airbox tube. Form the snorkle around the tube, it should fit snug and perfect.
7. remove snorkl and let cool.
8. you should now have a nice tight fit.
9. reinstall airbox and assemble!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Question for you hatchblack.
What temperature setting did you use on the heat gun?
Did you do anything to hold the snorkel in place, like hi temp sealer?

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Use the heat gun on a medium setting. It is important to just get the plastic pliable, not melted. It shouldn't get sticky - if so, you're heating too much.
You will not need to use any sealant, the snorkle when slipped over the airbox tube while warm will fit around it quite snugly. It will be far more airtight than the stock snorkle, which goes inside the airbox tube.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
E-Rock you're exactly right...

You don't wanna do that... you wanna do what someone else did... cut the airbox so that it fits, and seal it up with epoxy or the like....

Me? I just crammed it under the FS Cool Flow and it works like a dream!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
There is a very slight bottleneck. Since the remolded SVT snorkle fits tightly around the outside of the tube, you will see only about a 2mm reduction in diameter. An extremely negligible effect on airflow. I would doubt that a dyno would even register a difference. I think that the goofy shape at the end of the SVT snorkle before reshaping it would be probably be worse for airflow.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Ok guys, I was thinking about doing this mod too, but I've got a dumb question for you. Wouldn't remolding the end of the snorkle to fit in the stock hole without cutting the airbox cause a "bottle neck" effect? I would think that cutting the airbox to allow the SVT snorkle to fit in with it's natural shape would allow more air into the box. Would that be right or wrong?

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I agree. It must cause a bottleneck. If it didn't, SVT wouldn't have even bothered to re-engineer the airbox. Bigger hole=more air.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts