Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone says the same thing.."SVT's gears are too tall." And of course, the 6 speed is just a marketing move. So, I'm wondering if the MTX75 will make it quicker. Im going to install the FR intake manifold direct swap) and I know I will lose some bottom end, just thought gearing would be an easy way to get it back.

Any thoughts??

Anyone know where I could find an MTX75?

(Perfect time to do a light flywheel and LSD!!)

Russ

·
Registered
745 Posts
they bolt up...but its not a bolt on...the tranny mounting points i believe are in the same location...however i think things would need to be re-routed and it would be a helluva undertaking good luck!

·
Registered
745 Posts
FYI...and not to be a dic...you can have the same block but with diff. mounting points... mis info is the #1 cause of FUBAR!

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
The tranny bolt pattern is different, so no, it won't just 'bolt up'.

The only swap I would want to do is to the SVT MTX-75

- Drew

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOO

Comeon people, think logically

Just get some gears made, get some 4.50 final drive gears

THe SVT tranny is great in that the gears are CLOSE RATIO, but the start gear is too tall, you just need a shorter final drive and i bet you will drop more than 1/2 second in the 1/4 mile EASY

I said it before, whoever makes teh shorter gears, is gonna be popular, the focus really needs it

I think swaping from SVT getrag to MTX is plain stupid

·
Registered
745 Posts
its the fact that the 6 gear is close to the same ratio as the 5 gear in the MTx75 so you are shiftin an extra time with the getrag and in a 1/4 mi shifting an extra time is just that more time.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Originally posted by iamgod:
its the fact that the 6 gear is close to the same ratio as the 5 gear in the MTx75 so you are shiftin an extra time with the getrag and in a 1/4 mi shifting an extra time is just that more time.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">that was......wel.....

No sorry, i would rather have closer ratio transmittion

WHy not just get a 1 speed, no shifting at all, but it will take you 3 minutes to get to the finish line...is drag racing really the only thing you wanna do?

I would take closer ratio ANYDAY of the year over less gears, that is a dumb argument...

I mean what about the times when youre out driving on the street, the closer ratio will be MUCH more usefull for acceleration...

Just get the shorter gears, that is ALL the svt needs to run LOW 15's STOCK

·
Registered
369 Posts
and then with the short gear ratios, you'll run out of steam quicker if the track is over a 1/4 mile long. and congratulations naz, this is the first post you made that didn't somehow end up with you talking about your turbo!

·
Senior TEAM Member
4,821 Posts
I have had a SVT trans apart and it would be a chore to change the final gear

Both countershafts run off the ring gear so it would be much harder the change the gears in the SVT

The mini and a few others have the same trans and we are looking into what gear they put in it

tom

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't think the shorter gear idea will work. Doesn't this tranny have 2 separate final drives like the Mini? I don't think anyone has solved this problem yet.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
The st170 has smaller first and second gears than the svtf. I would get the gears from the st170, as it is like the svtf focus , but with a better gear setup. You can always buy turbo toms turbo kit where you will need those bigger gears to handle the power.

st170 gears Gear Gear Ratio
1st 4.46
2nd 2.71
3rd 1.33
4th 1.09
5th 1.33
6th 1.09
Reverse 2.82

stvf gears
1st 4.44
2nd 2.67
3rd 1.33
4th 1.08
5th 1.33
6th 1.08
Reverse 2.82

[ 12-29-2002, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: lourenco ]

·
Registered
329 Posts
Originally posted by iamgod:
FYI...and not to be a dic...you can have the same block but with diff. mounting points... mis info is the #1 cause of FUBAR!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yea, thats right, so stop telling people the mounting points are different, you told me the same thing, and I currently have an svt motor bolted up to my 5 spd trans sitting in my car.

basically, if you dont know, you shouldnt say.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Originally posted by focusownerskid:
The tranny bolt pattern is different, so no, it won't just 'bolt up'.

The only swap I would want to do is to the SVT MTX-75

- Drew
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yea, its odd you say the same thing, but you have no clue, do you.

·
Registered
329 Posts
so, for the person who originally posted this, I swaped a svt motor in to my zx3, if you want my opinion, you wont have to worry about the trans bolting up, its just everything else you have to worry about, such as the shifter, and the transmission mount to the car, and the splined on the output shaft of the transmission is different, so you will have to use a 5 spd clutch and flywheel if you do the swap. other than that, you have to make all of the transmission sensors will be able to used.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Originally posted by boost til' bust:
so, for the person who originally posted this, I swaped a svt motor in to my zx3, if you want my opinion, you wont have to worry about the trans bolting up, its just everything else you have to worry about, such as the shifter, and the transmission mount to the car, and the splined on the output shaft of the transmission is different, so you will have to use a 5 spd clutch and flywheel if you do the swap. other than that, you have to make all of the transmission sensors will be able to used.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i must've missed this post before. So the mtx75 tranny bolts right up to the svt motor? this is good news, got any pics? i'd like to see how the swap looks. Was it a hard swap to do and how long did it take. Sorry for all the questions but i'll be doing the swap in the next month or so and if i can use my 5-speed i'd be doing much better money wise.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts