Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SVT VS KYB GR-2\'s

I need some shocks to get rid of this bounciness I have now and I need to be able to get a suspension setup in my car that will allow me to raise it to get me through the winter in one piece. I have the FC coilovers sitting in a box. Right now I have the oem trend shocks from europe on a roughly 2"/1.5" drop using the powertech springs that came with the shocks. Don't know what the rates are sorry.

I'm trying to keep this pretty cheap.
I don't really want to use the trend shocks with the coilovers unless I have to.
Can't use shortened shocks because they probably will get messed up if I bring the car to stock height.
Koni's cost too much for me right now and I want to wait for other alternatives (kyb gas-adjusts or save up for the real deal bilsteins).

So the question remains which will suit me best for the heaver spring rates the fc coilovers use. The svt setup or the kyb gr-2's? I know the svt shocks should be able to cope better than the trend shocks but I don't know how the gr-2's would compare to them. I know there are very few people running the kyb's so I don't expect much in the way of help, but I figure some of you guys might have experience with them running sport springs on other cars and could shed some light.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Re: SVT VS KYB GR-2\'s

I dont think a whole lot about the KYB's--OE SVT stuff is better IMHO. Have you looked at SPAX? They make a decent non-adjustable damper, the "V" series, that will work with shortened or stock springs.

http://65.109.103.142/files/fsusp.pdf

Just a thought, but you do get what you pay for most of the time

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

hey,

Thanks for the response. I've looked at spax but I figured shortened shocks weren't designed to be run at stock height. The description says they can be used with oem springs so I guess they can. I didn't realy read through the whole thing all the other times I checked. I think I'm just gonna save up, get the spax adjustables and see how they treat me. Koni's are great and were my original choice but the non-adjustable compression damping is not a good thing around these parts. One of my friends has them on full soft and they are great most of the time but on sharp bumps he complains about them. I wouldn't care to much myself, but my friends and family would so I'll be considerate.
Thanks for the info auto-x!

·
Registered
3,350 Posts

Just another 2-cents from me, but what I am doing is non-adjustable in front and adjustable in back--pretty affordable that way.

Otherwise--happy to be of service

·
I can do no WRONG
1,356 Posts

Suspension Men!! More answers to Computer Name Fellow questions!! BONZAI...BONZAI...!!!

·
I Now Post Stupid ****
3,495 Posts

Suspension Men!! More answers to Computer Name Fellow questions!! BONZAI...BONZAI...!!!

I think the KYB shocks and struts are going to be much stiffer and sportier than SVT shocks. When I had my Sable I had pretty new Gabriel struts on the car so I took them off and put Monroe Sensa Trac Struts.....Theyr'e supposedly the smoothest and most luxurious struts of the Monroe line. They made my ride MUCH stiffer. To give an example I could push my car all the way down once on any corner and she would come back up and NEVER bounce twice. So I think they'll be a difference.

·
Registered
641 Posts

KYB is really good product, however I believe their limitation is 1.2" drop at the most. This is the reason I bout Pro-Dampers. You may want to double check with them again.

=dRe=

1 - 7 of 7 Posts