Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll chime in only because I have a decent amount of Honda LSVT knowledge. Your SVT/Zetec hybrid idea is sound but it will share alot of the same plauges as the Honda LSVT's are running into.

Simply grafting on the new cyl head and controls won't cut it and may result in a much less reliable engine. I'm figuring that the SVT cyl head has more high rpm flow characteristics than the basic Zetec cyl head. You would have to up the ability of the shortblock to accomodate this, reliably. Like someone posted earlier stronger rods, pistons, and rotational balancing would be good upgrades as well. Of course this adds greatly to the project. Remember that the Honda LSVT's are adding the Vtec head not really for the Vtec feature as much as the added stroke of the LS shortblock over the GSR/ITR shortblocks. And as it sounds from an eariler post the SVT and base Zetec shortblocks have the same bore and stroke, so the advantage isn't all that great as you may believe. Buying a SVT longblock engine may be a better value. Plus it is already put together, all you have to do is install it in your car.

Of course I'm at this time only familar with the Honda breed of LSVT's and not Focus hybrids. So most of my input comes from there but I bet there would be alot of similarities and familar obsticals. I could have gone the cheap route with my Honda LSVT and been done with $3-4K, and have a decent engine with possible failure opportunites. Instead I've spent much more and done the project correctly adding forged rods, forged pistons, ductile iron sleeves, headstuds, ect.

Sorry for the Honda related info but it is all I have as of now.....still learing on the Focus parts.
If you can't tell I'm a huge parts interchange fan. A SVT/Zetec hybrid would interest me greatly.

**edit**
I'm just wondering is the Zetec engine block and open deck or closed deck design? Do any of you know which?

[ 09-24-2002, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: SLPR ]

·
Registered
150 Posts
"Sorry for the Honda related info but it is all I have as of now.....still learing on the Focus parts. If you can't tell I'm a huge parts interchange fan. A SVT/Zetec hybrid would interest me greatly."

Quit now its not worth your time. Trust me on this one, if your used to hondas quality and performance, youll only be dissapointed with your focus. That is unless you dump assloads of money into it. but with a great deal of cash any motor can be fast.

MIKE

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would I take on a project like this....probably not. I just thought it was an interesting topic to discuss. IMO I stand by that it is probably not the best choice over some other options..

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
What i want to see is a SVT with a MTX-75 tranny. Interested on what kind of time it would run in the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
395 Posts
i'm surprised nobody has put a svt head on a ztec. I know the honda guys have with the ls/vtec integs. The ls integ doesnt have vtec and they use a b16 vtev head and bam instant hybrid. Of course you gotta change the computer and all, but shouldnt be too bad. I wanna see how it would performs on our cars. vvt in action.

Whatcha guys think?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I could be wrong on this one, but if I remember correctly the SVT head does not fit on the Zetec Engine. The header do not fit either.

[ 09-24-2002, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: zetecinside ]

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
They both use the same block... But while you are at it, you might as well switch to the superior SVT rods and pistons... which gives you: A full SVT engine.

You'd be better off buying the WHOLE SVT motor if you've already gotten the head. There may be some minor oiling changes or something that we are not aware of, but there is nothing really to be gained by just using an SVT head on the non-SVT block... besides perhaps saving money.

You'd also have to figure out what the compression ratio would be. I'm pretty sure the combustion chambers in the head are different, so the basic piston design may have been changed to match.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I believe it is the same block so i think it should fit. But its diffrent than the honda swaps. The PR3 head on an LS block raises the compression significantly. More compression = more power. I dont think anyone will be qualified to anwser this question untill someone does it. And considering that the head costs ($1500 is it?)+ plus computer, and hopefully all the sensor values are the same. I doubt anyone will be doing it anytime soon without some conclusive evidence that it is worth it. Ide really like to see one in person, i think that would be helpful to check the specs and compare it to a standard ZETEC head. It seems to me that the power of the SVT comes from higher compression, better internals, and a raised rev limit to take advantage of it. But, who knows, is it the Pistons that raise the compression or does it use regular ZETEC pistons with a bigger wristpin, with a "decked" if you will, head to riase the compression?. Ide be willing to do it now if the head wasnt so Fooking expensive.BTW what are the cam specs on it? anyone know.

MIKE

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
If you can get the specs on the size of the combustion chamber volumes on the SVT head, and the dish or dome volume of the SVT piston, we can measure and calculate the rest.

I'm pretty sure it would yield LESS compression though. Just a hunch... Unless the SVT pistons are the same shape casting, and then it'd be the same.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts