Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SVTF Rear brakes Q\'s

Its about that time to get my rear brakes done. I had just done the fronts a month ago and those were cake. I have never done rear brakes before and have heard the calipers/piston are diffrent and trickey on some. Some are a screw type piston and you need a special tool to screw it back in. Is ours like this? If so where whould i be able to get one online? If not then this would be just as easy as the front. Is there a how-to post anywhere? That would be awsome. Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Re: SVTF Rear brakes Q\'s

The "tool" is pretty simple and cheap - I think I got one for like $5 at AutoZone a few years back.

But sorry, I haven't done my rear brakes yet, so I can't help you there. Try a search, I seem to remember seen a how-to not long ago.

·
Registered
411 Posts

I recently did my rear brakes. I purchased the tool at Autozone. It's very easy to use. You'll just need a ratchet with an extension (4" worked for me). Find the side that best fits the notches in the piston (it's a universal tool). Loosen the brake fluid reservoir cap. While applying pressure, turn the piston until it is compressed in. It should only take a rotation or two. Sliding the new pads into place and getting the caliper back in position is probably the hardest part. The parking brake cable and brake hose doesn't allow much movement. I had a little trouble getting the caliper off because a lip formed around the edge of the rotor. It helped to file off the lip. If you are replacing the rotors, you'll probably have to use a large hammer to knock them loose. Mine were really stuck. Good luck.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

ANyone have a part no# for the tool? If so where can i get one? Online?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

Yep, that's the one.

·
Registered
411 Posts

It will probably obvious, but make sure to rotate the piston such that the tab on the back of the pad fits in one of the notches in the piston. I initially forgot to do this and the pad wouldn't fit flush in the caliper.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Sweet thanks Guys!

·
Registered
314 Posts

Needlenose pliers will also work if you don't want to buy the tool. I've used them several times without issue.

·
Registered
115 Posts

buy the tool, the pliers can mess up the caliper.

·
Registered
314 Posts

You just stick the tips in the same holes that the tool sticks into and twist it just like you would hte overprices tool. You might scratch the surface of the piston if you slip, just keep pressure in towards the piston and you should have no problem.

I've used needlenose pliers for 5 pad changes and never had it cause damage or problems yet. Besides, if your little needle nose pliers can damage a steel caliper then you have bigger problems. Save yourself a few bucks and try the pliers first.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Oh man glad the search works on this site!!! That's why the rear pistons wouldn't compress... They need to be screwed back in!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

Exactly!

And welcome.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

Be careful - you'll get hooked. This place is a great source of info - stick around for a while.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts