Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, first off I am new to this DOHC and electromagnetic(sp) ignition or whatever it has. I am use to fox body stangs and a distribitor so all you do is adjust the dist. you increase/decrease the timing.

So I know on the svt you can only replace the exhaust gear now. And it sounds like everyone typically has to get it tuned to run right or something. Like actual dyno tune them. If that is the case, and they only make a couple hp with bolt on's, I don't see the point.

1) Is the stock setting similar like the stangs were, like 12 degrees? not meaning at that setting, but are the numbers related?

2) Is it as simple and just advance it with the gear so many degrees to make more power, but you have to be careful or you will ping?

3) When is it really worth purchasing one or is it at all?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ok..Learn from me...Quote "just don't strip the cam bolt when removing or replacing it"

And becareful dont break vavle cover screws either.
Have numbers hopefully Monday or Tuesday if can get on dyno.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sonic, I think you're a little confused on the exhaust gear. On 5.0 Mustangs the 12 deg you were referring to was the base ignition timing. You advanced timing to about 14deg to increase torque output. Too much and it pinged like you said.

On most DOHC cars and nealry all Fords the have no distributor. The only way to advance base timing is with a chip or play with the crank position sensor (e.g. Steeda timing adjustor for 4.6 Mustangs)

The exhaust gear is a camshaft adjustment tool. You can advance or retard the opening and closing of the exhaust valves. On non SVTs this has shown some good gains by retarding 2-4 deg. I don't think SVTs have been as responsive but some people have tried. I think the variable intake cam timing already built into our cars has given us some of the gains.

Do a search maybe there is more to be had.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts