Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
very possible

but what im wondering is that the svt motor isant that much of a power maker

why not get your hands on a more rare motor from europe like maaaaabbbbeeeey a cosworts turbo? st170?

its all up to you brotha but to answet your question yes you can!

·
Registered
265 Posts
If you can get one at a cheap enough price, it would do ya good, there was a full SVT motor and 6 speed tranny with all hardware going for about 2000 on ebay a couple weeks ago, I dont know what it ended at though.

·
Registered
591 Posts
well im not sure how much they go for

the cosworth turbo is like if i remember correctly 300 some odd hp? its rare i would think

get yourself a good calling card and make some calls! report back with the prices!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Originally posted by artin:
very possible

but what im wondering is that the svt motor isant that much of a power maker

why not get your hands on a more rare motor from europe like maaaaabbbbeeeey a cosworts turbo? st170?

its all up to you brotha but to answet your question yes you can!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The ST170 is an SVT focus motor, they are the same thing.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1. what modifications would i need to do to my zx3 for an svt swap to work?
2. What pieces do i need to change along with the engine? tranny, ecu,...?

Thank you VERY much

·
Registered
329 Posts
ive done the swap, im pretty happy with it, I suggest keeping the 5 spd trans though, I like it better than the 6 spd for 1/4 mile acceleration.

one of the things you might need is the alternator bracket, I have an extra one if you want to buy it...you NEED the computer, dont bother doing the swap unless you buy the computer. you will need the intake manifold runner control module, I recommend the engine mount, it will make the installation easier(although I used the stock mount, and modified the plastic cover). you will need to repin the pcm, all the pins are not identical(unless you are getting the whole wiring harness) umm I am leaving out a bunch of stuff....but another thing is that the speedometer will not work if you use the 5 spd trans...have not figured out why yet, but I dont really care if it works, the rest of my guages work.

yea, there is alot of stuff to do, if it wasnt for the fact that I wanted to have a different setup than everyone else, I would probably just stick to having a zx3 with mods.

as far as cost, I bought a brand new crate motor for mine(from the dealer) they retail for 4700 canadian. plus you need the pcm (about 450 canadian, and you need a core deposit or its another 140canadian) so all in all it is a pretty pricey swap unless you buy used(or get a deal, like me)

oh yea, you will need the mass air flow, and an air intake

·
Registered
411 Posts
The MTX75 bolts up to the SVT motor without modification?

Why not just get a block and head from the SVT and then use a 2000 intake manifold and whatever exhaust header back you want?
I personally think the variable length runner intake manifold is one more thing you can break.

Anyone know the difference between SVT rods and pistopns and the ZX3 rods an pistons?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so basicly there is nothing i coudl just "bolt-on" as a swap... they all require lots of work...
will the RS engine be easier?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Even if you use the RS engine...it is low compression for turbo...then you can't get an ECU for it. They are HARD to get since you have to give Ford your old RS ECU as a core for the new one. The RS uses the Getrag tranny too I think.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
The SVT swap is a waste, for what you spend on the swap the regular Zetec could be twice as powerful, maybe even more. Why didnt you just buy an SVT to start with? Its an all around better car?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts