Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I dunno if that would be possible. I know it's +- bolt-on to swap a V6 2.5L duratech SVT into a Focus.

But would it be able to swap a Cougar engine ? those engines are making 200hp that's 5 more than then svt ones, probably not enough to make a difference. But the main things is that those engines cost less than the SVT one and more easy to find, also may be easier to find piece to mods them.

Although the first cougar of those commed with a Zetec engine I think. Soo it might be bolt-on to fit one if the focus ???

What do you guys think ? that might be a good thing to do, a less cost project.

Thank you guys if have any information about this !

·
Registered
406 Posts
Your assumption is incorrect--the Cougar 2.5L duratech makes 170hp and 165 torque just like the 2.5 duratech in the Contour/Mystique.

The "200 hp" Cougar never happened. There was a Cougar-S planned but it never made it to production. None-the-less, it was actually only rated at 196hp anyway, using the same high-output 2.5L duratech from the CSVT.

Cheers,
Scott.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Originally posted by Mutnat:
Your assumption is incorrect--the Cougar 2.5L duratech makes 170hp and 165 torque just like the 2.5 duratech in the Contour/Mystique.

The "200 hp" Cougar never happened. There was a Cougar-S planned but it never made it to production. None-the-less, it was actually only rated at 196hp anyway, using the same high-output 2.5L duratech from the CSVT.

Cheers,
Scott.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">EDIT: and you're right about the Zetec. All three of Cougar, Contour, and Mystique shared a 2.0 zetec i4 (same as in the Focus) in the base model and a 2.5L duratech v6 in the upgraded models. The Contour SVT had a high-ouptut 2.5 duratech making 196hp. The Cougar S would have shared that engine.

It's a shame they never put the 3.0L duratech from the upper-model Tauruses and the Escapes in there. 200hp without any "high ouptut" tweaks, very nice engine. Might have been able to compete better in the market place against the eclipse, the celica, etc.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Soo would that engine fit then ??

cause you guys talking about the Cougar S engine etc... but didn't talked about if how is the engine, if it could fit in our car or not !?

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Yes, it fits. Both SVT and a jet member/company (ZX3 Tuning??) have done it.

Remember, the SVT/wouldabeen Cougar S motor IS a standard 2.5L Duratec with performance tweaks, so they are dimensionally identical.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by OmniFocus:
Yes, it fits. Both SVT and a jet member/company (ZX3 Tuning??) have done it.

Remember, the SVT/wouldabeen Cougar S motor IS a standard 2.5L Duratec with performance tweaks, so they are dimensionally identical.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Are you sure of that ??

Cause Zx3Tuning doesn't have the cougar engine. They have the V6 SVT contour engine in their focus and I think they are planning TT for next season.

But what I was talking about was the 2.5L from the Cougar engine, I don't think that's the same engine has the Contour SVT have, am I wrong !?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
i think what everyone is saying is that the cougar has the same non-tuned 2.5 duratech as the contour V6. the contour SVT, on the other hand (what people are using) is that engine with some tuning. so yes, it will fit. identical block.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I understand what you mean !

would it cost less to use a standart 2.5L (non-svt) and push the power equal or more than the svt one or buy a svt 2.5L without adding other modification.

Ok I thought that the Cougar engine was pushing 200hp but it's 170 just like the Contour non-svt, sorry my error.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
if i understand right, its really up to you and depends on the availability of the SVT engine. it may cost a lot, however it would be a much better baseline to start from. along with more power, it would have other benefits too (the specifics are escaping me...)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Anyone know what the weight difference is between the Zetec and the Duratech 2.5? Does the 2.5 have an aluminum or iron block?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Originally posted by hatchblack:
Anyone know what the weight difference is between the Zetec and the Duratech 2.5? Does the 2.5 have an aluminum or iron block?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Good luck getting an answer to that question, Ive been asking it forever

Altough Im sure the difference isnt that great cuz the 2.5 has an aluminum block. Plus Shawn at ZX3 tuning claimes his car handles like a dream with some shocks from the Mondeo up front.

[ 10-10-2002, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: SYMBIOTIX ]

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Some Cougar and Contour/Mystique owners have even put in 3.0L Duratecs...or have just tweaked out their 2.5's. All three vehicles used the same engines. The Cougar was 70-75% Contour under the skin. Even if you park our cars beside them, you can see bits and pieces in our cars.

But there really isn't much for the Duratecs. I hang out with regular and SVT Contour owners. Most of them haven't been able to do much other than CAI, exhaust, or Vortech s/c them. I'm sure you can do more, but there isn't the aftermarket support like there is on our cars (odd eh?).

As said earlier, the Duratec will fit. I think Ford was planning to put in a V6 option in the Focus. They should have...to tromp some Jetta butts! (If I did it again, I might just have gone with one.) But that would have taken sales away from the Taurus.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
yeah, the duratech is a WONDERFUL engine. there are better in that size for power (not many) but it is so smooth and the sound is great.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I have seen a build up of the 2.5 that had 450HP turbo motor in a 00 Focus Wagon. The beast.

Tim

·
Registered
406 Posts
Originally posted by GapBoyPCS:
As said earlier, the Duratec will fit. I think Ford was planning to put in a V6 option in the Focus. They should have...to tromp some Jetta butts! (If I did it again, I might just have gone with one.) But that would have taken sales away from the Taurus.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah I totally agree, I'd have bought one too. Very smooth engine, loved it in my Cougar, just wished I'd gotten a 5-speed instead of a slushbox, but oh well.

[ 10-12-2002, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: Mutnat ]

·
Registered
66 Posts
Originally posted by GapBoyPCS:
Some Cougar and Contour/Mystique owners have even put in 3.0L Duratecs...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have no idea what you are talking about.

However, the full 3L Duratec is dimensionally taller than the 2.5, meaning it's a VERY tight fit to get our hoods to close over the upper intake manifold of the 3L. It's been done, and I'm not really sure how.

But the 2.5 upper on the 3L block fits just fine (as nearly all of the dimensions of the 3L block are identical). It's just the intake manifolds that differ in size.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts