Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have tried to do some research...

I just want the <font color="red">loudest</font> <font color="blue">(and best)</font> sounding intake for one low price

So far the Volant and AEM CAI seem loudest, but:

1. Are there any eBay knock-offs that could be louder and better sounding? I don't really care about power since a Toyota Sienna would outgun my car anyways.

2. Would adding a bypass valve to a CAI affect the volume of the sound/sound quality?

I have a mellow-sounding MBRP cat-back exhaust that I purchased Nov 04. It probably is the newer, quiet version. I recently removed the airbox resonator and it SEEMS that the engine is louder...but I can't really tell. Perhaps the MBRP is overlouding (?) the airbox resonator mod. Anyhow:

3. how much louder are the Volant, AEM CAI than the airbox resonator removal mod?

4. How much louder would an ebay knockoff short ram intake be than the airbox resonator removal mod?

5. When purchasing a cheap short ram intake, are there any known general factors that might affect the sound output of the intake, such as diameter, length, shape or filter type/shape?

6. In general, are short ram intakes or CAI louder, better sounding?

7. In general, how does material affect sound, ie., metal vs plastic (Iceman)

8. Do CAI's really produce throttle lag compared with short ram intakes?

9. Does a short ram intake improve throttle response when compared with the stock airbox intake since the air path might be shorter?

10. Will fuel economy go down significantly after changing the intake since fuel/air ratio will need to stay that same?

11. Is there a risk of leaning out the engine too much with a very good airflow intake and stock injectors?

I have heard an Integra Type-R with an aftermarket intake (not sure if short ram or CAI) scream during acceleration and it sounded fantastic. (I haven't heard that many modded cars here in Edmonton). I have also encountered an 04 Sentra SE-R with some sort of intake mod. Both cars sounded very loud, with an amazingly strong low-pitched growl. My friend has a 03 VTEC Civic with an Injen short ram intake but it sounds nothing close to the Type-R and Sentra, therefore I know that not all short ram intakes do the same for different engines.

12. Would it be possible for a Zetec Focus
to sound like the Type-R or Sentra SE-R? (Yeah, it's hard to know when I can't describe the sound exactly...)

I apologize
if any of these questions have already been answered in previous threads...but...thanks!

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Not sure what you consider "loud and sweet," but I have a K & N Ram Air on my SVTF and it totally changed the way the engine itself sounded. Really made it scream somewhat indy-car like, but obviously less dramatic. Problem is that once I put on the exhaust, sound disappeared. May be hard for you to find an intake that will be loud over an MBRP of any kind, and I would really recommend against any kind of e-bay special when it comes to something as essential as your intake.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
garpon, are you for real?

Seriously, did you perhaps type in www.FocalJet.com when you were really looking for www.RiceJet.com ?

But IMHO:

AEM and/or AEM knockoff or any other intake that re-located the MAF sensor into a different sized intake tube = Junk
Volant = Good
FocusSport = Good
K&N FIPK = Good

And if you just want loud, then just remove the top of the air box and the air filter and duck tape a piece of door screen over the MAF to keep the big chunks out.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Not sure why you want a loud intake...i'd rather have a loud exhaust, anyways. Im running the MAC Short ram, i payed 150 bucks for it and its a good quality product. Its one of the cheapest name brand intakes out there. its loud...i hate how loud it is at times. Throttle response im not sure of because i installed a throttlebody at the same time so yea i got a LOT of throttle response out of it. I don't think lenth and pipe diameter are going to affect sound. Cone filters are louder than panel filters but thats common sense.

Do not buy any knock off brand off ebay...don't use an intake that relocates your maf sensor into the tube, use ones that keep it in its stock housing.

Oh yea, and if you want your car to sound like an integra...go buy one. Don't turn a focus into something its not. It doesn't sound like an integra for a reason.. it says Ford on the front.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
The long tube CAI will scream once you hit 6000rpm. Sounds mad cool/loud.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Since i put my Injen on all i hear is the intake

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I have to agree I got the Injen 3rd generation intake (the metal box one) and that thing is loud from 2,000 RPMs and up!

When I added the SVT snorkal along with it the intake really woke up. I know that people say the design sucks because its metal (which I agree with) but it really is a unique looking design for the Ford Focus and has work very well for the past couple of years.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You don't get a intake for the loud and sweetness of it. unless you are one of those guys who buys a apc muffler just because you like how loud and buzzy it sounds. You buy a intake for the performance gains over stock. And sure they do make some noise but its nothing to spend 200-300 dollars for. think about it would you rather spend 200-300 on the sound which is going to do nothing not even get you the so called attention that you want because there not that loud. Or would you rather spend 200-300 on a item that will give you 3-7 hp... hmm I know what I would do why don't you think about this one a little more?????

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have to agree I got the Injen 3rd generation intake (the metal box one) and that thing is loud from 2,000 RPMs and up!

When I added the SVT snorkal along with it the intake really woke up. I know that people say the design sucks because its metal (which I agree with) but it really is a unique looking design for the Ford Focus and has work very well for the past couple of years.
i've got the injen first gen cai, sounds pretty good.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
err.....spend your money on a race header
youll have loud & good performance gains

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damn it, www.ricejet.com link doesn't work for me.

Thanks for the advice so far... I guess it's all against eBay specials, then.

Yeah, I'm for real... and it's sad that I crave attention and try to get it by installing the loudest intake. What can I say? It's not only ricers, though, that like to hear a nice, clear induction roar ricochet off nearby objects
. I heel and toe through every corner, and would like to increase the enjoyment I get out of hearing the engine rev up during these times. Because I want noise but don't really care about power doesn't mean that I am all show and no go (ok, maybe I am very little go). It just means that for the low budget I have at the moment, I would like to spend my available funds on increasing the sound level and quality from the engine bay rather than the performance. I *believe* that removing the airbox entirely would decrease performance? I do at least want to maintain the same performance. Also, the sound quality from such a mod might not be desirable (?). The next cheapest, thing, it seems, would be to go on eBay for a knock-off. However, Penqui66, why do you say that moving the MAF would be bad?

Throttle lag is an issue, so therefore I care about maintaining the precision of the Focus. Right now it's torquey compared to other compacts I have driven and I don't want to lose this (putting on an intake will sacrifice some low-end, yes).

Also: Yes, I know that it's a Ford and aside from the wonderful handling and damping, that is the reason that I bought it. Integra just doesn't have teh same razor-sharp steering feel and ride quality of the Focus. I didn't want to be one other ricer.
Most of my friends are ricers, and I endure a lot of negative comments

I do not want my car to sound just *like* an Integra, but to match the sound type and level (kind of like a low-pitched big bear growl, "BWOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!")
. You may have noticed that I mentioned the Sentra SE-R as well. I did this so that one could infer that even with widely different engine types, the sound output from an intake mod could still be similar (high revving low displacement vs. bigger displacement).

Buzzy mufflers are no good to me either. I chose the lowest pitch one for the lowest price available at the time which was the MBRP (on sale in Canada, as well for only 199). I didn't need it to be the loudest, just sweet sounding and louder than stock

Maybe I need to rephrase 'sweet and loud' to 'sweet and enjoyable'

Hmm, would a race header alter the intake sound, FordFocusDanielSan?
So far, then, the Injen short-ram and long CAI seem to be loud as well as the AEM CAI...I wonder how the sound compares to the MAC and K&N.

Does anyone know how much louder than the airbox resonator removal mod these are so that I can get an idea before I plunk down some $?

Thanks again for all the help so far...

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
However, Penqui66, why do you say that moving the MAF would be bad?
Some of the aftermarket intakes relocate the electronics of the stock MAF sensor into a different sized tube. But, the stock electronics are calibrated to work properly in the stock MAF housing. Therefore, by changing the diameter of the tubing your MAF sensor readings will be incorrect.

Its Ok to move the MAF sensor around a bit as long as you keep the electronics in the original housing or place them in a tube of the same diameter. Otherwise, you will have to have the MAF transfer function corrected with a chip or a re-flash.

That's why I say to stay away from any intake that re-located the MAF sensor electronics.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have an AEM Long tube and it "barks" or "woofs" persay when you give it the gas when in park or neutral. Out on the road it quiets down but you can still hear it a little when I crank up the Alpines. I have a MBRP exhaust also. It sounds sweet, but not too loud. I don't like the cars that sound like they've got a frickin CBR under their hood when they fly by.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
no the race header wont change the sound on the intake. but, cause of my shorty/orp combo, anything above 3K i can no longer hear my intake
all the noise comes from the exhaust

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
1. Are there any eBay knock-offs that could be louder and better sounding? I don't really care about power since a Toyota Sienna would outgun my car anyways.
Intakes with roughly the same design should sound roughly the same, i.e. even the $20 eBay short ram will sound like the $200 FocusSport CoolFlo...but you get what you pay for.

3. how much louder are the Volant, AEM CAI than the airbox resonator removal mod?
I can attest only to the fact that the Volant is quite a bit louder than the resonator mod. I've had my Volant for several years now, and I've never regretted getting it over a long-tube-type CAI.

10. Will fuel economy go down significantly after changing the intake since fuel/air ratio will need to stay that same?
Fuel economy actually went up, but only when I can convince my right foot to stay off the floor.

11. Is there a risk of leaning out the engine too much with a very good airflow intake and stock injectors?
There is a risk of running lean if you use an intake that replaces the stock MAF housing with a separate tube, for instance the AEM long-tube CAI. The MAF is calibrated to be in that exact size sampling tube; if the tube is any larger, more air is going around the MAF, but it still thinks it's getting the same amount.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I first removed my airbox resonator... yea it was a "little" louder. When I put the intake on, yea it was really friggen loud. I dont think i mentioned it but it over powered my exhaust. If you use a short ram you won't sacrifice much low end torque as opposed to a CAI, from my understanding, however, launching in the summer sucks. So if you want a loud, great quality intake, i say buy a MAC. Its one of the cheaper intakes, its short ram..it fits great and sounds great and it has that loud engine roaring affect you want..

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
With short air intake thing, and if thre is none heatshield cylinder thing, then it is loud.
i used to have ractive stuff, looks awesome and really growling when i go WOT.
and then i switched to BMC CDA and Pipercross VIper, they are quiet but has some smooth sound.

I heard that K&N 57i gen2 or something is loudest. don't tackle this one on me, lots euro focus people said this.

·
Registered
777 Posts
i had an AEM short ram initially, it had a wizzing sound when the throttle plate was slightly open...i had alot of ppl askif i had a turbo cuz it honestly sounded like a turbo spoolng up..it was kinda cool. but then i changed to a volant, now thats fun too...with a turbo on it,...when your under the hood, and rev the car, you can hear echo throught the volant...its a cool effect. i dunno, i guess its resonating back thourgh or vibrations or some technical crap, but it sounds nice. plus, it has that special plastic box around it to ward off hot air, and you can use an SVT snorkel...or zx3 to bring in cold air.

You sholdn't have to worry about leaning yoru system out by just adding an intake. more air = MAF will calibrate and adjust to keep mixture stoich(sp?)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts