Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added a swirl pot (British term) to my intercooler system. It's basically a small reservoir that is used to bleed air out of the system. The water enters the canister tangentially closer to the top, making it swirl. The pump draws from the bottom, also tangentially. The vortex that is creates helps seperate the bubbles, and they float to the top, so the pump only draws pure coolant. The randomness of nature ensures that any air pockets anywhere else get worked out and trapped in the pot until all the air is out.

I've used a 7psi radiator cap on top as well.

I fabricated the whole thing from scratch, took pretty much a whole day, but so far it seems to work well. Seems to have completely bled the system. I just need to work out a small hose routing problem.

I'll get some pics tonight.

As a side note, I also managed to set myself on fire...
I was welding in cut-off jeans and an old dress shirt. Something in the weld popped and sent a big spark flying. I kept on welding, but saw flickering light in my helmet. I looked down to see the frayed ends of the cut-offs were on fire. Quite a bit actually. Freaked me out for a second but I quickly patted it out. No harm done.

I need a proper welding outfit.
Donations to the "Save the P-51" campaign would be greatly appreciated.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
I would love to see some pics of this!

Mainly because, I don't get it.

- Drew

1 - 2 of 2 Posts