Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Just wanted to share my experience with others on the Jet. Yesterday I purchased and installed a set of Sylvania's Cool Blue capsules. I had an opportunity to drive 50+ miles last night in the rain. The Cool Blue bulbs are by far the worst excuse for a headlight I have ever experienced. Sure, they look bright white to oncoming vehicles but they do nothing to help the driver see at night. They are dangerous and should no longer be sold. So, lesson learned. I wasted $32 on a set of bulbs.

I replaced them this morning with the Sylvania XtraVision bulbs (9000XV). They may not be flashy or anything but I am hoping they will perform better at night. Just want a little more light than what the OEM bulbs provide. The XtraVision bulbs were $27 for the set.

People swear by the Silverstars, but I am not ready to pay $53 for a set of headlamp bulbs (although I just spent $60 in the past 48 hours on two sets of bulbs, one of which has proven to be useless).

Just wanted to let people know the Cool Blues are '[email protected]' before anymore people try them. I am sure this has been discussed on the Jet before, but just wanted to weigh in as another dissatisfied customer. I would take the Cool Blues back to Pep Boys but I doubt they will take them since they are now opened and have been installed/removed.

Thanks for letting me vent. Later!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
you see, thats the problem, you went to Pep Boys, thats theworst place to buy those kinda things.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
For the price you paid for those cool blues, you could had Silverstars which are great in the Rain, Fog and Snow.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't necessarily say it is Pep Boys fault that the product I bought there was substandard. I place the blame with Sylvania/OSRAM, a name brand in automotive lighting, for marketing a substandard product. Automotive lighting is a safety related product and as such is expected to meet specific standards. While Sylvania/OSRAM is claiming that the Cool Blues meet such standards, I find it very hard to believe.

The only choices for auto products I have around here are Pep Boys, Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, NAPA, and National Auto (or something like that). Pep Boys is the only store that actually stocks the 9003 size bulbs. Other places are special order.

I didn't get a chance to drive my car last night, so I still do not know how the XtraVision bulbs will work out. They have to be better than the CB's.

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
yeah i've gone though i don't know how many Cool Blues. when one would die, i would replace it so they would match, and this was an endless cycle for about a year and a half, went through like 7 of them before i got sick of it.

on a side note, i bought Silverstars like 2 months ago, and last week, one burnt out, then the other one burnt out a few days later. which was very odd, i thought those were supposed to be higher quality.

soooo now i bought some sweet Philips-something-or-others for $6 a piece, i am sick of aftermarket bulbs ha ha

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i've gone though i don't know how many Cool Blues. when one would die, i would replace it so they would match, and this was an endless cycle for about a year and a half, went through like 7 of them before i got sick of it.

on a side note, i bought Silverstars like 2 months ago, and last week, one burnt out, then the other one burnt out a few days later. which was very odd, i thought those were supposed to be higher quality.

soooo now i bought some sweet Philips-something-or-others for $6 a piece, i am sick of aftermarket bulbs ha ha
I know what you mean. I should have gone with my gut and purchased the XtraVision bulbs from the get-go and just ignored the promises of the Cool Blues. I would have $32 extra in my pocket and not have had to go through all the frustration.

It seems anytime you get into aftermarket products there is an exponential increase in the chance you will be disappointed in the performance of the product. So many of the manufacturers make great claims, but few back up those claims 100%.

Many times it is hard to beat OEM. I have found that with things like wiperblades (I now buy mine from the Ford dealer) and will just go with "regular" halogen bulbs from now on. I have even found that using non-OEM tires on cars can be disappointing. Maybe the manufacturer does know best on some things??

·
I'll Buy YOUR car for $10,000!!!
3,602 Posts
I would take the Cool Blues back to Pep Boys but I doubt they will take them since they are now opened and have been installed/removed.
take them back, and say they were the wrong size, dont mention that u installed them ....though, i returned my silverstarts at walmart, and i told them i am returning them cuz they sucked....(in my opinion..i like the Ebay hyperwhites...though i buy a new set ever 5-6 months)

·
I Now Post Stupid ****
3,495 Posts
It sounds like you need a pair of Hella's. And plus you're NEVER going to see as good with a pair of bulbs like the Silverstars, or Cool blues, or the EBAY hyperwhite Krypton bulbs...There is a reason regular bulbs have a yellowish tint....they're designed to emit a color that the human eye is most sensitive too...why do you think school buses are yellow? Actually I think it is a yellowish greenish color our eyes are most sensitive too.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I almost got the cool blues, but I decided to get the Silverstars instead. I'm glad I did now. I've had them for about 2 months now with no problems. I can see great at night and in rain. It is better than OEM, I just hope that they last me a while. I do, however, have the cool blue foglight bulbs from BAT Inc, and they do a decent job.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
This is odd, I installed a set of cool blue bulbs in my wifes Focus and they work great. I've seen better, but these cool blue bulbs in her car are much brighter than the stock bulbs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts