Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the symptoms of a clogged catalytic converter. My car loses power over 4000 RPM and is running extremely rich from 3500 up. I also have a "rotten egg" smell when I push it very hard. Does this sound like a clogged cat?

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
It sure does.

It's probably covered under Warranty as an "Emissions Item", even if the car is out of Warranty otherwise.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Hal I don't remember all that you've got on the car? Shorty header???

I'd be sure to put much back to stock.. cuz Ford is stingy on this one I hear.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ult gets the points, it is a Random Tech Cat. That's why I posted the question, to see if anyone had another cause of the power loss, etc.

Todd, there is no way I could swap out the header and not have it noticed. Similar to Mike, my service director is a former student of mine and I taught with his parents. Also, the mechanic who usually works on my car at the dealership used to tune my MGA when I was autocrossing back in the late 60's. The last time I had it in he even noticed that I had changed cam gears! I don't have any problems with the dealership, they replaced the ECU under warranty about a month ago when it got messed up because of an electrical problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts