Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i had a few more questions.

Exactly what is a syncro? I know sort of what it does and why its there, but what exactly is it and what does it look like? Is there ANY way of strenghtening syncros? Is there any way to buy a better or stronger syncro? What can be done to make this damn tranny last longer?

My syncro went out at 38000 miles, 3rd gear, at least thats what i think it was, it grinds hard every time i go into third, so i dont use third no more

Im not sure if this goes into the tech forum or not, its more of a driveline question that a tech question

I just wanted to know what can be improved ? Is it metal or something?

And when a syncro goes bad, what exactly isnt working properly? Does something break?

·
Registered
397 Posts
i'm not sure about most of those questions but i had my synchro go out at 48,000 miles, and from what guy told me a sychro is made to wear down somewhat, and when it goes bad it is worn down too much and it just grinds the gears when shifting

[ 09-01-2002: Message edited by: baconzx3 ]</p>

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so when the syncro goes out, what does this mean? What is wrong with my syncro exactly? Is it broken? Cracked? Worn? WHat?

·
Registered
397 Posts
it means it is worn and needs to be replaced by a brand new one, to my knowledge there are no aftermarket synchros or much aftermarket parts for the focus transmission unless you want to spend alot of money, trust me i wish i could get stronger parts or something, becuase over the summer my car had to have the tranny taken apart 3 different times for 3 different reasons, but i think you just have to replace them with stock parts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Synchros ARE a wear item although they should last a looong time if you are nice to your tranny.

It could just be super bad luck however more likely it has someting to do with your driving style.

Have you been powershifting your car alot?
Agressive downshifts with poor or no rev matching?
Alot of missed gears?

Either way you should start practicing double clutching your upshifts and downshifts into third.
If there was ever a good reason to learn this is it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The MTX75 is a POS. I had the first one go on me, 3rd gear syncro went first, then the gear just stopped working. Now the one i have in there now is dyeing a slow death. 3rd gear is trashed and second is on its way out. I can attribute the demise of this tranny to my Centerforce clutch. But screw it im just gonna wait till i have time to finish porting my head so i can put my new motor togeather, ill rebuild it then.

MIKE

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i know

No, i rarely ever powershifted, ESPECIALLY into third, most my hard shifts were 1-2 because thats the only important fast shift.

Sure, i did some 4-3 down shifts, sometimes not exactly matching the revs. Double clutching? Exactly how is this done?

I dont know, but its pissing me off, i havent been very hard on it and this is what happens so soon?

Still, can someone tell me exactly what is worn out? What does that mean when you say WORN OUT? And does it call for a new tranny or should i try fixing the syncro? I cant imagine that 1 small ass little thing like a syncro requires a new tranny

and if its so damn hard to get it and replace it, then WTF was ford thinking putting this car together?
Oh wait, they were smokin crack....i forgot

·
Registered
397 Posts
the synchro is what is worn out, and they don't need to replace the whole tranny, they just need to take it apart and install a new 3rd gear synchro and that is it, and a word of advice, make sure you know the place you are getting the work done at has a good reputation

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
i dun get it...i own a 2k zx3...with 40k...trans still shifts like the day i got it...and i beat on the car. i feel bad for u guys...as much problems i get with my car...none have really been drivetrain problems except for a faulty maf...best of luck to ya naz

·
Registered
397 Posts
yeah mine is a 2000 model too with 50,000 miles on it, and the only problems i've ever had have been with the transmission

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I had my 3rd gear synchro go out at around 20K miles. Still under warranty of course so i saved myself $880 dollars.
Only bad thing was that my car sat at the dealer for a week.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Oh man....this is not encouraging news. My tranny shifts just like it did the day it was new and I missed a buttload of shifts when the car was new and the linkage was stiff and I don't think there is a two day period that goes by that I don't powershift. Now I gotta worry about synchros in addition to my slowly dying fuel pump. Doh!!

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
there are TOO many people that have had it replaced to call it just regular wear and tear like a clutch, a clutch goin at 40000 i understand, a syncro that takes 15 hours to replace is not acceptable. NO WAY.

It seems like every other person on here has had it replaced, what is even worse is that it was stilil under warranty, meaning it went out before 36000 miles....what kinda quality is that??????????

There are more people in the norcal crew that have new trannys than those that dont...

**** FORD...and i complained about it when i had my warranty but they said it was normal so i doubt they even ever wrote it down...so for now, i aint fixin **** until i figure out what im doin with this POS

The only reason i dont have any encouragement to just get a new tranny is, whats the point? If this is gonna happen every 20-30k miles, its not worth it

·
Registered
397 Posts
Naz man, i agree with you I really wish there was a better transmissions for our car that is affordable, like i said, i've spent about $3000 in transmission work, because as soon as i got one part fixed then another part broke on it, and i have yet to take a pic of if, but i never really drop my clutch that much and my centerforce clutch is demolished at less than 3,000 miles, half of the gripping material ripped away, and the place that replaced my synchros it didn't take 15 hours they got it done within one work day it took like 6-8 hours

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
The syncrho's are usually made of a softer material than the actual gear itself, most that I've replaced were made of brass. They are a "WEAR" item but are designed to give many years of normal service ... the key word here is "Normal", so what is normal? it depends on many factors all of which can result in premature wear. The primary reason it takes so long to replace them in a Focus is because it's FWD. Back when I used to race RWD race cars it wasn't unusual at all to replace synchros at the track between events. I hate to say this but the primary reason for synchro failure is due to the driver and not the gear itself. That's why some never have any problems with theirs while others just seem to just eat them up.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well, yes, but for example, when my car was even 10000 miles old, it would pop out of 3rd, it wouldnt go all the way in, and once in a while, it would grind even on the most normal shift, so was it already wearing or is it CRAPPY manufacturing? I put my money on manufacturing, seeing as how this tranny is CRAP, even brand new, it rattles, shakes and grinds at idle without the clutch engaged, i would have to say its NOT all driver on this one.

Anyways, im looking for a new tranny now. IS a syncro something you can cryo treat like brake rotors and such? That would be cool, maybe it would help it last longer???

·
Registered
168 Posts
yeah I think they are just too soft of a metal. I had a honda del sol and the trans never had anyproblems. Are the syncrose different in the SVT contour? WHat about getting syncrose from the new RS...it trans is a beefed up MTX75

Oh well the trans ....well the syncrose is my one problem with the focus

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by nazthug:
well, yes, but for example, when my car was even 10000 miles old, it would pop out of 3rd, it wouldnt go all the way in, and once in a while, it would grind even on the most normal shift, so was it already wearing or is it CRAPPY manufacturing? I put my money on manufacturing, seeing as how this tranny is CRAP, even brand new, it rattles, shakes and grinds at idle without the clutch engaged, i would have to say its NOT all driver on this one.
<hr></blockquote>

Why did you not take a service rep, park his butt in the passenger seat and show him the car popping out of gear? This tranny is not crap by design, you just seem to have a bad one. BTW, where is your left foot when you drive?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts