Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to start using fully synthetic oil in my car, is there anything i have to do besides drain all the old oil out and replace the filter?

·
Registered
727 Posts
i've heard people say that switching to synthetic after using regular oil can be bad for the engine, is this correct? I am also thinkin of makin the switch to synthetic, and i have 32k on my focus, would this be a bad or good idea?
thanks,

.....tek

·
Registered
23 Posts
I didn't switch until 27k, glad I didn't wait any longer. My highway mileage went up at least 5 mpg, city is about the same. Engine is noticeably quieter.

The big thing is I don't have as much to worry about on cold winter mornings, I know my motor's going to get oil almost immediately.

Remember that synthetic is basically carefully engineered/refined oil: it's controlled and processed for specific molecular structure and size. It all starts out as crude....

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have to say this is one of the most intelligent threads I have read on this subject!

Just a few caveats: Don't use the phoney synthetics like Castrol and Pennzoil and Valvoline
and a few others. They are "group 3 synthetics. In Europe this type of oil cannot be called synthetic. It is highly refined vegetable oil.It has many of the same characteristics of dino oil. It dooes not last as long as real synthetic oil. It tends to "jell" as does dino oil as it loses it's additive package of viscosity stabilizers.
True synthetic oils don't need viscosity stabilizers. Mobil 1 Amsoil and Redline are the best! Redline being the only non PAO base although their oil does contain some PAOs.

Some thought has been given to the use of synthtic oil in engines that were not designed specifically for synthetic oil use.
The engineers at Redline have concluded that an engine should have between 800 miles and 2 thousand miles before introducing synthtic oil into this type of engine. The reason being that the synthetic is too slippery for the rings to fully polish into the cylinder walls. This can cause undue oil consumption.

The introduction of synthetics oil into an engine that has been maintained and older is not a problem. To the contrary, it is a benefit. The engine will run cooler and better due to a lack of friction.

As to filters... the only two you left out that are worthwhile are Amsoil and Hastings.

and as said Fram is garbage... some have failed in as little as 1000 miles...that means your engine is getting unfiltered oil for as long after as you have the Fram in place....an ugly thought!

·
Registered
299 Posts
is there no true synthetic 5w20 available in the states?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Mobil 1 is no longer a true full synthetic. I got sick of the games with oil and went back to plain old 5w-30 Valvoline.

I wouldn't have minded if Mobil dropped the price but I'm not going to pay nearly $5/qt of not fully synthetic.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
On the break-in issue, look at the cars they mention as coming from the factory w/ Mobil One.
All are HIGH dollar Performance cars...ie. NOT the Focus Zetec!!!
Let it Break in before swapping, THEN By all means, SWAP!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Spankenstein,

FYI, Ive seen Mobil 1 at a loca Target for $3 a qt. May want to check a discount store close to you, they may have it cheap as well.

·
Registered
511 Posts
spankenstein Mobil 1 is no longer a true full synthetic. I got sick of the games with oil and went back to plain old 5w-30 Valvoline.I wouldn't have minded if Mobil dropped the price but I'm not going to pay nearly $5/qt of not fully synthetic
THE Facts
Is Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ a fully synthetic motor oil?

Yes, it is. To meet the demanding requirements of today's specifications (and our customers' expectations), Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAOs), along with a proprietary system of additives. Each Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ viscosity grade uses a unique combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its specific application.

Product Description

The Mobil 1 motor oils are manufactured from high performance synthetic base oils. These include polyalphaolefins (PAO) and other Mobil synthetic fluids which make up the Mobil 1 with SuperSynTM formula.

https://dallnd6.dal.mobil.com/GIS/MobilPDS.nsf/26b7c4b33367a4a086256665004e4266/61638dff7d0453b085256b8400618b40?OpenDocument

·
Registered
511 Posts
MichaelXi On the break-in issue, look at the cars they mention as coming from the factory w/ Mobil One.All are HIGH dollar Performance cars...ie. NOT the Focus Zetec!!!Let it Break in before swapping, THEN By all means, SWAP!!

LOL Yeah the car companies are willing to throw their expensive HP motors away by not using proper break in methods/oil.

Mobil 1 thinks our Zetecs break in just fine with synthetic oils. I agree! Mine is running GREAT..on Synergyn 0W-20!

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
I didn't say they were throwing ANYTING away.
They have different tolerances and construction.
As I stated, BESIDES the usual issue of the piston-rings, the Service Director that I spoke with had special concern over the vanes in the oil-pump. Many mfrs have unique aspects to the design of their engines, even while sharing the same basic design. Is it unfathomable that SOME cars may be more suited to the immediate use of a fully synthetic oil than others???

Not flaming you, but try the "Quote and Reply" button at the top right of posts which you want to quote. It'll make life simpler in most cases. (Though not ALL, esp w/ the "Nested" quotes.)

[ 12-05-2002, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: MichaelXi ]

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Use a QUALITY Synthetic, such as Mobil One, Redline, Amsoil, or such, and it will do nothing but help engine life and performance.
My Service Mgr DID recommend waiting until after COMPLETE break-in. He recommended 9-12,000 miles.
Not ONLY because of the rings, but also because of the oil-pump itself requiring a break-in.

Also, use a Quality filter.
Mobil One, Motorcraft, and k&n have all been shown to be good filters.
Fram, on the other hand, has been shown to be less than desirable by a variety of studies and individual's research.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Remember that synthetic is basically carefully engineered/refined oil: it's controlled and processed for specific molecular structure and size. It all starts out as crude....

My Service Mgr DID recommend waiting until after COMPLETE break-in. He recommended 9-12,000 miles.
Not ONLY because of the rings, but also because of the oil-pump itself requiring a break-in

From Mobil 1 site

Conventional oils come from crude oil that is pumped from the ground. Crude oil is made up of a twisted and jumbled mass of carbon atoms that form chains and rings of different sizes and shapes. Long chains of carbon atoms produce a thick viscous fluid that flows slowly. Shorter chains produce fluid that flows more readily.

In an oil refinery, crude oil is separated into various stocks. These become the basis for lubricating oils and fuels. Thick tangled masses of carbon chains become asphaltic materials used in roofing tar and road work. Very short chains and ring compounds of carbon are volatile and can be refined to produce gasoline and other solvents.

While petroleum refining is an advanced science, small amounts of contaminants, such as sulfur, reactive hydrocarbons and other materials cannot be completely removed from petroleum, and may end up in motor oil base stocks.

All motor oils are made up of base oils and additives. In general, fully synthetic motor oils contain non-conventional, high-performance fluids, such as polyalphaolefins (PAOs). Semi-synthetic oils (also called "blends") usually use a small percentage of non-conventional, high-performance fluids in combination with conventional oil.

To meet the demanding requirements of today's specifications (and our customers' expectations), Mobil 1® uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAOs), along with a proprietary system of additives. Each Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ viscosity grade uses a unique combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its specific application

What is synthetic oil?

All motor oils are made up of base oils and additives. In general, fully synthetic motor oils contain non-conventional, high-performance fluids and a system of additives to help prevent wear, keep an engine clean, flow easily, maintain viscosity, prevent rust and reduce friction. The result is a lubricant that remains liquid and slippery under the widest possible range of temperatures and engine conditions.

What makes synthetic oil superior to conventional oil?

Historically, conventional oils lack the performance of synthetic oils in the areas of low-temperature performance and high-temperature oxidation stability. Conventional motor oil is made up of an inconsistent mixture of long and short chains of carbon and hydrogen atoms. In the extreme heat of an engine, short-chain molecules can evaporate, and unstable molecules can oxidize and break down.

Conventional oils also contain much greater amounts of impurities, such as sulfur, reactive and unstable hydrocarbons, and other undesirable contaminants that cannot be completely removed by conventional refining of crude oil.

Mobil 1® with SuperSyn™ uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAOs), along with a proprietary system of additives. Each Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ viscosity grade uses a unique combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its specific application.

What is the difference between a fully synthetic motor oil and a synthetic blend?

All motor oils are made up of base oils and additives. In general, fully synthetic motor oils use non-conventional, high-performance fluids. Semi-synthetic oils (also called "blends") usually use only a small percentage of non-conventional, high-performance fluids in combination with conventional oil.

Can different synthetic motor oils be mixed together?

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ is fully compatible with conventional motor oils, semi-synthetic motor oils and other synthetic motor oils, should it be necessary to mix them. But the superior performance of Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ will be reduced by diluting it.

Can I go longer without changing my oil if I use a synthetic?

While Mobil 1 has given excellent results in extended oil drain tests, the safest and recommended practice is to follow your owner's manual. You can go all the way to the maximum mileage or time frame shown in your owner's manual for oil changes when using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™.

This allows the reserve protection capabilities of Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ to cover the unusual or unexpected driving conditions that we all experience from time to time. Oil change intervals can be as short as 3,000 miles or as long as 15,000 miles on some new cars.

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™'s high-performance reserves give you the confidence to go the full mileage or time frame recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ is especially suitable for the latest vehicles with extended drain intervals or vehicles with oil monitoring systems that vary oil drain intervals
You should break in your engine with conventional oil, then switch to Mobil 1.

You can start using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ in new vehicles at any time, even in brand-new vehicles. In fact, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ is original equipment (it is installed at the factory) in:

Chevrolet Corvette
All Porsche vehicles
Mercedes-Benz AMG vehicles
Dodge Viper
Ford Mustang Cobra R
All Aston Martin cars

One of the myths that persists about Mobil 1 is that new engines require a break-in period with conventional oil. Current engine manufacturing technology does not require this break-in period. As indicated by the decisions of the engineers who design these high-performance cars, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ can be used in an engine from the day you drive the car off the showroom floor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok well so far I'm doign OK. I'm using Mobile1 5w30. They didn't have the 5w20 that the manual calls for. But oh well. I'm using the Motorcraft oil filter. And as far as milage if anyone cares my ZX3 has 15000 on it.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
I've got the same oil and filter in mine.
Good Stuff.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Synthetic oil is very nice. Just dont switch from synthetic to regular then back. You want to stay with either one or the other. Synthetic will only hurt if you switch back and forth.

·
Registered
86 Posts
now the question is I need help, Ford says get 5w-20 oil. What other oils are ok for the car?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts