Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check This Out!

If you are too lazy to click on that, then it is a button that you install on cars with the T-56 manual transmission. Not sure what car this is on, but it is a ford. And I guess there is some kind of computer chip that will shift you from 1st to 4th automatically if your RPMs are too high in 1st.

My first question is, is this true? I have never heard anything like this, and think it is kind of cool.

Second, how can they do this? Does it control the clutch for you, and does the shifter actually move? It doesn't seem possible for the shifter to actually move, but if it is a manual transmission then that is what has to happen.

Anyone have any info on this?

·
Registered
90 Posts
The T-56, at least in the Corvette, is equipped with what is called a 1st-to-4th skip feature. Basically, if you try to shift from 1st to 2nd gear at small throttle opennings, an arm extends and directs the gear lever into the 4th gear position. This saves gas, especially in the EPA fuel economy tests.

The Corvette has so much torque that this is not a problem in relaxed driving. To defeat the system, just depress the gas pedal some more.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
CAGS is present on the Vette and your later F-body cars, and yes, it basically lights up skip shift or something on the gauge cluster and makes you shift to fourth under light acceleration. I've never heard of it on any Ford product, though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The First Gen. Dodge Viper has a feature like this too I believe, some type of skipshift thing...really wierd.

EArl

1 - 5 of 5 Posts