Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i pulled the chip, intake and cam gears, but the UDP will be a hassle, do you think they will mind it, for my problem i am having? If i have to, i can take it off but really dont want to

·
Registered
950 Posts
Naz, how much oil was on your filter? After some thought about your problem, it occurred to me it may be your MAFS. I just put my Iceman in and noticed I had oil in the MAFS housing from when I cleaned/oiled my Ractive. I'm surprised I didn't have a problem. And, I went what I thought was conservative on the oil..., Oh, BTW, the UDP should have no bearing on your problems, so the dealer shouldn't mention it, IMHO.

[This message has been edited by lt7d101 (edited 05-08-2001).]

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool, i am starting to think its the maf too...cause i tried everything else, the cams are all lined up, everything works, no engine lights though, but no POWER at all. Its really weird, it still idles perfect and drives ok at low rpm, so its not the clutch or any internals i think. But how could it get messed up? The filter was oiled but i didnt think it was oiled too much? SO with a stock filter and intake, they should replace it since i never had an aftermarket intak on it right?

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so what do i do to the iceman filter, if it was oil that got in the maf and messed it up? Can i still use it, is there anything i can do to get the oil out? Why would iceman put so much oil in there?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
no power? well, it could be a plugged cat. zx3ford had the same problem where his car idled fine, but got crap for get-up-and-go. he replaced the cat with a "special" setup and is now running better than ever. I'd check that before going in.

------------------
"I'm mad. You're mad. We're all mad here!" - Cheshire Cat
------------------
'01 Twilight Blue ZX3 5-spd w/ Power/Premium options
NOW:JBA Header, Esslinger UDP (blue), AEM CAI, EURO plate (reads: SPEEDY ZX3)<--THANKS BEN!
LATER:Focus Central TB, B&M shifter, MBRP or Vibrant exhaust, Spark Plug Wires, H&R Sport springs, KYB 4-way adjustable struts, Eibach anti-sway bar kit, 17" ICW GT Sport rims w/ BFG Euro T/A's

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/speedy_zx3 CLICK ON ZX3!

·
Super Moderator
12,435 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by speedy_zx3:
no power? well, it could be a plugged cat. zx3ford had the same problem where his car idled fine, but got crap for get-up-and-go. he replaced the cat with a "special" setup and is now running better than ever. I'd check that before going in.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep...hehe

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
a pluged cat? From what and would it really cause a problem this big? IT revs up pretty normally, until high rpm, but when ou wanna get up and go, it sux. could disconecting the o2 sensors and stuff cause this? And how do i check the cat?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Ford has stated that any use of an oiled
aftermarket air filter will void the
MAF warrenty as the oil tends to be sucked onto the heated element in the MAF thus causing it to malfunction.
I was givin a sheet of paper form ford of canada about this.
good luck with your dealer. if this is the issue.

------------------
Go for the eyes BOO
Go for the eyes!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Ford can **** themselves. They *SELL* a K&N oiled drop-in filter for our cars. It's Ford logo but it's a K&N OEM.

If you somehow got oil on your MAF, fix it by spraying some brake cleaner on the wire inside it's hole and let it dry. Don't touch the wire. This will clean it nicely according to an post on blue oval news message forum I read last week if you want to go find the original article, might be in the ford tech forum.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, i put the stock one back on anyways, the stock intake. if the maf is messed up does it matter if i clean it up now? This sux really bad, i have no clue what the hell is wrong with the car now

·
Registered
175 Posts
Originally posted by nazthug:
a pluged cat? From what and would it really cause a problem this big? IT revs up pretty normally, until high rpm, but when ou wanna get up and go, it sux. could disconecting the o2 sensors and stuff cause this? And how do i check the cat?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">nazthug:

This is EXACTLY what my car is doing!!! What did you do to solve this dilema?!?!?! Plugged cat, faulty O2 sensors, oily MAF, or a combination of the above???

1 - 14 of 14 Posts