Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok dumb question but under the car there is looks like 2 mufflers. if i take off the one in the back by the tip just cut it off is it going to be really loud? Just wondering bored and getting exhaust
and wondering if it will get annoying loud or not thanks again

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
The one in the back with the tip is the resonator. Some say it is loud w/ that removed and some like the sound of it.

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
The actual muffler does well... most of the muffling.
But the car will droan at certain rpms (usually lower rpms) w/o the resonator chamber. Its annoying to some.

·
Registered
707 Posts
i removed the one in the midle of the car, close to the rear tire, and i didn't notice that much of a difference, the noise is basically the same.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you talking about the one in the back the little square one right? How did you take it off ? a hacksaw? how bad does it drone?

·
Registered
707 Posts
the one before the little square muffler. it is more like a resonator. just went to a muffler shop and the attached the new one.
i'll try to post pictures later

·
Registered
297 Posts
I just had my rear resonator cut off after Christmas... cost ~$80 at Mr. Muffler. I sounds pretty good and I am picky about my sound. I is a very deep drone at about 1100-1400 RPM but other than that it just is a slighlty amplified stock exhaust. I in no way think it is annoying. Do it, you won't regret it
Do like me and if you are worried tell them to give you the resonator to put back on later.

Bryan

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hate to be a pain but are we talking about the square lunchbox sized thing that connect right to your tip? Could i just hack it off with a hack saw? and have them weld a tip on ? please answer i am armed with a hacksaw and dangerously bored. please post pictures so i know what to do

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Could i just hack it off with a hack saw? and have them weld a tip on ? please answer i am armed with a hacksaw and dangerously bored. please post pictures so i know what to do
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What's stopping you? The only thing I would say is make sure you get the tip put on as soon as possible, you don't want exhaust gas making it's way into the cab.

Also, you will probably have to have them weld a hanger onto the tip. A tip that long will more than likely be too heavy to support itself without a hanger.

Pacesetter makes some very nice pencil tip extensions that give a resonator feature too. Make it sound a little better. My local Pepboys has them.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts

Here's a pic of the one I'm talking about, at the bottom right. As far as the stupid stickers... the big one with the horse doesn't come on it, it's floating around the package so you don't have to put it on if you don't want to. The yellow stripe is really easy to peel off, comes right off like it's greased. And the yellow pipe interior, it's black by the end of the day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts