Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is finishing up her last three sememsters of college and we will likely be going overseas to Europe for her job.

Is there anything anyone can tell me about taking a US car overseas? Emissions/inspections standards, other issues I might have to worry about? I have heard that in some european countries, it is Illegal to have tinted windows.

Thanks

·
Registered
404 Posts
I can tell you about going to the U.K. I'am in the Air Force, so things are a little different for me. I will try and answer some of your questions. First off, it would just be easier for "you" to sell your car, and buy one when you get there, but here we go
Emissions/inspections standards- A U.S Spec car is safer than european standards so you are good there. Standards- In the U.K you have to get a MOT, which means your car has to be uptight. No exhaust leaks, check engine lights, broken suspension compents, CV boot axles, etc. Nothing major can be wrong with your car for you to get your inspection done. Then you need to buy Road Tax, most countries will have this, and its expensive "170 Sterling pounds" take that times the exchange rate typically $1.91 to 1 pound!!!! Whenever you drop your car of at the port, you need to make sure they document everything wrong with your car, and when you pick it up, look closely for additional damage that has resulted from it being shipped, sometimes there is damage... I had to do some light conversions to make my car U.K spec, that was it. That costed about 220 dollars at a Ford authorized repair center. Hope that helps a little. If you a specific questions about bringing your car to the U.K let me know.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it will either be to the UK, Germany, or France. My wife and I will be getting DoD or DA jobs. We have a few connections for positions over there.

I have thought of selling the car but at leat one of our cars is going. Our second car is an Escape, family truckster, so if anything gets sold, It will be the Fo Fo. She did say I could buy a Euro car when we get there though if I sell the Focus. We will see.

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
Germany is easy no problems with any of my cars. Had more problems when I registered in the US.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I can't wait to go. My wife told me she would rather I not sell the Focus, since I like it so much. Plus she even said, "hey, you can get Euro parts without the lame shipping costs!"

A woman after my own heart.

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
I am DA Civilian now and I just put my focus across the pond and back in 6 months. Let me know where you are going and if you make it to Germany I can help you find stuff.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It will be in about a year or a little more. Thanks.

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
The Focus ST will be out at the end of the year, you might want to just buy it or maybe a used Focus RS.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Will.

Jinstall, I woudl ove like hell to go there and buy an ST or RS but have a major problem. Unless one of them comes in ATX for, which I know they don't, I cannot. I was in the army and was injurred which resulted in the loss of my lower left leg which on the focus liomits my ability to drive an MTX because my heel catches on the floor before I can get the clutch down.

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
Well then it sounds like you need some practice at shifting. Alex Zanardi got back in the car. Maybe there is something we can come up with to help you get back into a MTX. I am willing to give it a try if you are. Maybe the ST will be offered in a Tiptronic later in the year. The cup is always half full for me. I like a challenge. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As do I. One of the only options I have found is to mount a piece of wood, like a 2x4 on the clutch which gives me the ability to get the clutch to the floor.

I would loke a trptronic.

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
We will see what we can do. I ave a friend that is a master metal fabricator and a Focus owner as well. I am sure he would love to make something.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Could be cool.

Could make it removable to switch to other cars as well.

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
hop on to chat if you can I will do it now

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry, can't gotta run to the server room and pound out some server issues. I'll be back. I'll PM you

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
ok

·
Registered
404 Posts
Well if you come to the U.K, i can look up info for you as far as bringing your car over... Since the gov. will be actually "shipping" your car, the only things you'll need to worry about is how much your light conversion will cost. they wired my hatch brake light to act as my "fog light" when i turn my front fogs on. It disabled my pulsating saftey brake light though... Just make sure you really look your car over!!!! Just let me or Jininstall know if you need anything.

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
Yeah we can help you out. No conversion stuff here in Germany.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts