Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to GRM magazine, in Sept 3-4 weekend the U.S. Rally Tennessee is an all tarmacstage rally event, 112 miles long.

I am getting married in Sept so I don't think it'll work but I think my car might make a good rally car [It's not a good road race or drag race car and it has to be good at something.]

If they hold it again maybe I will do it. Want to co-drive?

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
tarmac is asphalt. requiring sticky tires, flat suspension, and generally just like a road race car setup, just made to take street abuse.

gravel is loose and requires much different suspension / wheel/tire setups then a tarmac one.

watch what WRC cars look like when you compare a tarmac spec and a gravel spec car of the same type.

ground clearance, wheels/tires, suspsension. everything

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Cool... I would love to do some tarmac rally/hill climbs. Targa Newfoundland is my goal. Maybe next year...

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Yeah I think that if they had a tarmac rally locally (they keep trying and it keeps getting cancelled for one reason or another) I'd be all up onz.

Gravel is just too abusive on the car for an "enthusiast"

·
Registered
98 Posts
According to GRM magazine, in Sept 3-4 weekend the U.S. Rally Tennessee is an all tarmacstage rally event, 112 miles long.

I am getting married in Sept so I don't think it'll work but I think my car might make a good rally car [It's not a good road race or drag race car and it has to be good at something.]

If they hold it again maybe I will do it. Want to co-drive?
Remember this is a stage rally, requiring, full cage, drivers suits and helmets. Also there is a whole procedure to go thru before you can get a lisence to drive or co-drive in one.

Takes alot of time and money to stage rally. I like it and would love to do it just never could justify the money.

from the right seat
dam3816
<//><

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
To compare the difference in setup between gravel and tarmac, go watch some oval small-time stock car races.
Watch a few Late-Model Races on asphalt or concrete, then watch some on clay or "dirt".
Notice how the chassis behaves and the technique differences.
For Rally, the differences are Very similar.
Yes, Rally cars turn both ways, but if you pay attention to the stock car boys in those two scenarios, you'll see what I mean.
On dirt, the cars may carry the left front from corner exit to corner entry.
On pavement, it's nothing like that, despite similar HP levels and speeds.
On Dirt, the surface is softer and more irregular, so they run a softer right rear, as well as everything else.
On tarmac, it's as stiff as they can get away with w/o wheel hop.
Almost night and day.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
On tarmac, it's as stiff as they can get away with w/o wheel hop.:)
This is the most accurate statement so far, IMO. As stiff as you can get away with and not have the tires bouncing off the ground. If you are running race tires on asphalt, you will be able to generate enough grip that roll control will become an issue. Whle I have no data to back it up, it seems to me that this might be a good opportunity for a soft spring - heavy anti-rollbar setup.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Rally Tennessee.... Interesting people, Kendall and John.
Cherokee Trail Rally started as SCCA event for 3 years, then USAC, then NASA. Not easy people to get along with.
http://www.rallytennessee.com/
Moving on.

We held several tarmac rallies in Chattanooga Region, before developments encroached on our roads.
It was kinda funny watching rally drivers trying to sling cars to turn on asphalt. No, it didn't work.
Race race set up worked as well as anything.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Remember this is a stage rally, requiring, full cage, drivers suits and helmets. Also there is a whole procedure to go thru before you can get a lisence to drive or co-drive in one.
I have the cage and plan on road racing with NASA in 2006 or 2007. So most of the race and suits should be purchased before that. Before I looked at the rules and thought maybe a NASA comp lic would suffice but I think they have a seperate lic for their new rally series [nee SCCA Pro Rally] so that might put a damper on the thing. We'll see how things work out, it still might be fun and might be possible.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
you'll want to pour over the GCR for the sanctioning body and make sure all the requirements are met, such as tools and spares that can be very tied down, appropriate seats for yourself and your co-driver, radios, computers etc.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Since I am going to this event as competitor, in my '81 Scirocco, I might be able to shed some light on the subject of car prep for rally. A Focus could be a very competitive car in rally in the US.

Since RT is a NASA event you will need to check the cage specs at www.nasarallysport.com They are different than a road race car. NASA has alligned their cages rules with the FIA rule book but it is still more cage than you need for road racing.

The other bits and pieces that are needed for rally can add up. Like reflective triangles, a rally computer, tow rope, first aid kit, etc. If you are interested you should definately get involved with the sport.

On the suspension you want to run a stiff suspension on tarmac but most of the rally guys have invested so much into the gravel suspensions they just lower the coil overs and then increase the damping on their shocks to goto the couple of tramac events in the states. I disagree with the comparison of a nascar dirt track suspension to a rally suspension. In nascar the the track does some undulation but you don't get the big holes and jumps like you see in rally. The goal of a gravel rally suspension is that it should *never* bottom out, and won't bend / break with big impacts. This includes 2ft jumps and hitting some rough stuff at high speeds. To this end most rally suspensions are built with much longer coils, 10-14 inches, and the have lots of damping. Also most have much bigger pistons, 40-50mm, and thicker tubing is the strut body. The spring rates may be softer than some road race cars but they are definately above what you would see on the street.

My rally car was built out of an ex-autocross car so it came with a stiffer spring/damper combination, which is what I am going to run at RT. As for Tires I have a set of Azeins(sp) that should be good for the event. You should for the very least come out and watch the event, I have been told that the spectating is going to very good at this event. Plus you can cheer on a fellow jetter.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
BigSandwich,
We don't disagree.
I was just referring to the compliance and travel.
For an oval, those are more corner (of the car) specific than a rally car, but the concept is the same.
I totally agree with everything that you posted, I just think you put too much literal interpretation into my comparison.
I could have compared a Supercross bike to an AMA Superbike for the same comparison.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
MichaelXi,

Looking at it that way I can see your point, and the comparison is there. I just didn't want people thinking a late model camero modified has a good rally suspension.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
This is news to me about it being tarmac......i must go....

Rally is my life and this will probably be the only tarmac rally i will get to see in my lifetime.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
^^ not nessesarily. NASA has announced that this event is going to be a national level event next year and that they are adding an all tarmac event in New York next year as well.

Maybe a move toward more tarmac events will get more folks into the sport as you can easily build a dual purpose road race / tarmac rally car. Hope to see you guys out there.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
^^ not nessesarily. NASA has announced that this event is going to be a national level event next year and that they are adding an all tarmac event in New York next year as well.

Maybe a move toward more tarmac events will get more folks into the sport as you can easily build a dual purpose road race / tarmac rally car. Hope to see you guys out there.
I agree. An East Coast Tarmac series of four events would certainly interest me and a couple of other people I know. I don't know if you are the right person to tell, but perhaps you can forward the information to those who should know, but I would think that you talk to the people at the PA Hillclimb Assoc. as their members would also be interested in tarmac rally, I imagine.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Rich,

I will forward this thread to the people that run NASA rallysport. To let them know that there is interest in a tarmac series.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
BigSandwich
Have you done any hillclimbs? Between SCCA and NASA, we have 4 in the southeast with not a big tow. SCCA has BlueRidge (Sparta,NC) and Crow Mountain (Scottsboro,AL) and NASA has Rockcreek (Erwin,TN) and SnowShoe (SnowShoe,WV).
Gonna miss SnowShoe because of roadrace conflict same weekend, but will be at Crow Mtn. this fall.
We have 2 regular Scirocco's, John Barnett from AL and Bob Qualls from Nashville.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I don't know what you guys are talking about with all this sanctioning body and towing talk. I drive a short tarmac rally stage every morning on my way to work. Just keep a stopwatch in the cup holder. Got it down to under 8 minutes about a month ago but some new construction and a detour has me back up to just over 10.

Or is timing your morning commute considered street racing? If so, please ignore the above paragraph (as you'd normally ignore my posts).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts