Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got threw installing these 2 on my car. The FC throttle body and the pro-flow MAFS. I guess this is what i needed to wake up my lagging acceleration on my auto ZX3. Talk about throttle response, man it's sensitive, i love it!

·
Registered
398 Posts
No F'in way man i have a automatic tooo. what did you just say???
i was thinkin of the 65 mm Focus Central throttle body and the 70mm MAFS where was that MAFS from you got????
Does it plug right up??? just swap them out or Is there something you need to do????
What about from a dead stop? Can you floor the pedal???? does it still bog out like the car is stalling or gasping for air????
Dude hit me up with all your info on this....
I'm very interest in this
thanks
Jeff Black
Team-Black

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I have the 70MM MAFS and 65MM TB on my 5-speed jrsc, it really woke up my car. When you order the 70MM MAFS you need to tell then what mods you have on the car so the unit can be custom calibrated for the airflow your engine will be producing. If you go FI in the future, you can get the MAFS re-calibrated. You don't want to run out of voltage before you stop flowing air! For a NA engine with mild mods, it's probably the TB that is having the most effect. The recalibrated MAFS comes into play when you start flowing tons more air-turbo or SC and you need to worry about getting enough fuel to the engine.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Thanks nordy. You answered the question I didn't get a chance to ask.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Originally posted by nordy200:
I have the 70MM MAFS and 65MM TB on my 5-speed jrsc, it really woke up my car. When you order the 70MM MAFS you need to tell then what mods you have on the car so the unit can be custom calibrated for the airflow your engine will be producing. If you go FI in the future, you can get the MAFS re-calibrated. You don't want to run out of voltage before you stop flowing air! For a NA engine with mild mods, it's probably the TB that is having the most effect. The recalibrated MAFS comes into play when you start flowing tons more air-turbo or SC and you need to worry about getting enough fuel to the engine.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If you keep your stock PCM you can't have a MAF calibrated for more airflow. It just doesn't work that way. The calibration for the MAF is to adjust for different size injectors. It fools the PCM into thinking that less air is flowing thereby pulsing the injectors for the correct AFR.

If you want a larger MAF with a different curve you need a chip that has the new MAF transfer function burned into it. That's the route that I went. I have a 80mm MAF from a Ford Lightning and 24# injectors with a chip that is burned with those parameters. Any other way and your AFR or timing or both will be screwed.

·
Registered
398 Posts
ummmm ok are we all talking about the same thing here????
Automatics with a 65 mm throttle body and a 70 mm MAFS???
Because I swear there are people here talking that have 5 speeds that are Jackson Racing Super Charged. OK not to be rude guys but if you have stick and we have automatics and that is what the orginal topic started as. Then i think you in the wrong ball field. Sticks are over there------->
Don't take it personal guys. But with autos, things run a little different. I know "FriscoFocus" did say "lagging acceleration on my AUTO ZX3".

[ 11-15-2002, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Team-Black ]

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Originally posted by Team-Black:
ummmm ok are we all talking about the same thing here????
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Nordy was giving his opinion on the T/B and MAF on his car, and giving what he thought to be the correct info, to help.

Blue01 simply corrected Nordy's mistake and gave the correct info, so nobody would take the incorrect info and mess something up. Also being of help.

But with autos, things run a little different
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">BTW - The only differences between the ATX and MTX are:

ECU programming(codes)
Trannies(Duh)
Engine sits slightly closer to the firewall on the ATX.
And the bung for the crank sensor is positioned slightly different.

It's all good.

- Drew

[ 11-15-2002, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: focusownerskid ]

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you keep your stock PCM you can't have a MAF calibrated for more airflow. It just doesn't work that way. The calibration for the MAF is to adjust for different size injectors. It fools the PCM into thinking that less air is flowing thereby pulsing the injectors for the correct AFR.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">So what does the MAF do for you on a car without a special chip or injectors if anything?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Originally posted by focusownerskid:
BTW - The only differences between the ATX and MTX are:

ECU programming(codes)
Trannies(Duh)
Engine sits slightly closer to the firewall on the ATX.
And the bung for the crank sensor is positioned slightly different.

It's all good.

- Drew
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">There is also a considerable difference in how they drive!!! It sure would be nice to have an adjustable Torque Converter!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Originally posted by funkus:
So what does the MAF do for you on a car without a special chip or injectors if anything?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">A larger MAF offers less restriction in the intake path. But does it help $200.00 worth on an otherwise stock setup? It's your money.

I wouldn't bother with a MAF unless I had a heavily modded NA or I went with some kind of FI.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts