Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What it this "special lubricant"? I'm probably going to pull the intak manifold next week and see what's there to work with and I am concerened because of the warnings about it.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
What special lubricant? There are no lubricants in/or for either the throttle body or the intake manifold.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
That sticker says to not use any cleaners because there is a coating of some sort inside the throttle body.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Mine have that lubricant (and the sticker). Coating starts from the lower side (down the butterfly) of the TB and goes all the way into manifold walls. It is supposedly there to trap any possible dust particles but I believe also prevents smooth air flow.

Dunno if you really need it or if it is better to clean up....

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I thought i'd bring this post back because i'm curious too what this "special lubricant" is. Maybe someone around now knows...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ive got a special lubricant but Ive never tried it in my TB

·
Registered
358 Posts
I had full fuel system cleaning done on mine after fighting the stumbling idle bug for awhile and 5K later no ill efects. Besides if you get an aftermarket intake manifold or TB there would be no special lubricant, well at least not for the intake and TB.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Originally posted by UltegraSTI:
u guys r also the 1s that dare not remove the tag from ur mattress right?

-Ult
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hahah so you think its a bunch of crap ehh Ult? I figured it wouldnt matter but i like to worry...

·
Registered
208 Posts
The purpose of the coating is to keep dirt, soot and sludge from sticking to the walls of the intake. (Some of the sludge comes from the oil and exhaust that recirculates through the intake via the breather and EGR system).

It is kind of like the no stick coating on your frying pan. If you use harsh solvents to clean the intake you can damage or remove the no-stick coating. It won't hurt anything, but you'll have to re-clean your intake periodically because the no-stick coating isn't there. That's fine if you take care of it yourself. The coating is there to make it maintenance-free.

·
Registered
321 Posts
It is a lubricant put there for "stock" intake.

Contarary to common belief, if you don't clean it, get a high flow intake (and bore out the stock TB) you'll end up with a great mess in your idle control valve...And you'll have to make a much bigger cleaning (like I did)...

The official service center here said this is a common problem so they always clean up the lube at periodicals...

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
holly back from the dead batman

1 - 16 of 16 Posts