Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice replacement throttle bodies seem to be very popular. If I remember right when SCC magazine installed theirs they had either very marginal or no improvement at all on the dyno. I do understand that effectiveness of any mod is interdependent on other mods required to allow it to work, but if I remember they had done pretty much all the normal bolt-ons first.

Has any one done before and after with a TB and seen any measurable improvement?

·
Registered
579 Posts
the TB isn't about hp it's about throttle response . with the OE TB you have to have the pedal about half way down for the throttle plate to actually open enough to feel moderate acceleration but with the aftermarket and a lot of other manufaturer's (honda, bmw , etc. ) with their's you feel the accel as soon as you come off of closed throttle. SO BUDDY THE AFTERMARKET TB'S ARE REALLY ABOUT THROTTLE RESPONSE.

Actually i've heard from some people that this mod was one of the most noticeable mods

·
Registered
213 Posts
If I remeber right, SCC had bored out there TB and not replaced, although you probably had read from a newer issue. I can't say what gains u get from the TB, but the acceleration response is what the main appeal is from them.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm. I wonder if the same thing could be accomplished with a different (ie shorter or cammed) arm on the OE TB? Haven't looked at it, don't know if it would be an easy bolt on/off.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Originally posted by sk8fool:
If I remeber right, SCC had bored out there TB and not replaced, although you probably had read from a newer issue. I can't say what gains u get from the TB, but the acceleration response is what the main appeal is from them.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No, they put a BBK on it and got a peak gain of 2.7 hp and 2.9 tq. But they lost a bit in the low end as well.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
WeldingRod, my opinion is that I don't think they make more power, it's more about throttle response. Some people feel that if they get more response their car is faster...

I'll just save the $300 and push my throttle further until I get the desired power.

Frankly, I haven't seen many dyno charts showing more power, but I have seen an aweful lot of comments like "Yo Dawg, this TB is the shizzy. It gives so much power, you have to be careful you don't spin your wheels when you don't want to, or hit the cars in front of you cause soon as you touch it the car just jumps."

I'd be very careful especially with your Aerocharger. It might become undrivable.

The stock TB was DESIGNED for slow response. Look at the way the plate is bent, and how it is shrouded. I know for a fact that it was specifically designed to have a slow and smooth response.

·
Registered
476 Posts
get the FC TB and you will not be dissappointed I promise you that, it is worth every penny it costs. It may not be about hp or torque but the throttle response is worth it, in my opinion if you took two focus's that were the same and added a TB to one of them, that one whould kill the stock car easily.

·
Registered
579 Posts
it's all about emissions for the OE TB called slow tip in to improve emissions . how this works i don't quite get it . but the american car companies seem to think this is the easy way to do it . and all I have to say is WHATEVER!!!!!!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Originally posted by P-51:

I'll just save the $300 and push my throttle further until I get the desired power.

The stock TB was DESIGNED for slow response. Look at the way the plate is bent, and how it is shrouded. I know for a fact that it was specifically designed to have a slow and smooth response.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Save your $300 and bore out the stock one. It improved my throttle response big time. The reason ford designed the stock one like that is to keep fuel economy up. I haven't paid too much attention but I swear my mpg has dropped. Not that I care. Its all about performance

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'd be very careful especially with your Aerocharger. It might become undrivable.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actually, it works quite fine.

It definitely takes some getting used to. I consider myself a fairly competent driver when it comes to throttle modulation and proper shifting, but it took me over a month to fully adapt to the FC TB. Of course, my lerning curve was much steeper being that I had the original, ultra-touchy model. If you think the current one is bad, man you should have tried the first gen!!

Honestly, there's no way I would give up my TB. I know it's a total placebo effect, but I liked the fact that I didn't have to drop the throttle all the way to the floor just to get moving. The only problem was that 1/2 to full throttle didn't give much more power. It felt to me like I lost some low end torque and might have gained some high end power. Of course all of this is highly unreliable guesswork as a result of the ultra-inaccurate butt-dyno. The important thing was that it made me happy and, for me, made the car more fun to drive.

Now with the Aerocharger Stage III, the throttle position is a whole different story. I can actually tell a difference in boost throughout the entire range of the TB. I will not get full boost unless I have the pedal all the way to the floor. Quite frankly, I was amazed by this.

The one thing noone has mentioned yet is blipping the throttle on downshifts. The TB makes it soooo much easier to give the gas a quick flip with the side of your foot and raise the revs for a downshift. I had to go back to the stock TB for about 2 weeks while I sent mine back to FC to have it rebuilt. I went absolutely crazy every time I slowed down and tried to heel-toe! I was so happy when I got it back and could finally downshift without having to blip the accellerator pedal damn near to the floor. Again, I think the TB is almost worth the price of admission for that fact alone.

OK, that's enough rambling for now...

[ 09-13-2002, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: DoughBoy ]

·
Registered
803 Posts
It's just too freaking big! I can guarantee that the instake manifold can't flow near as much air as the throttle body. Also, since FC is supposedly offering a venturi tube to reduce the size I think that says something about how much air the Zetec can swallow.

[ 09-13-2002, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: spankenstein ]

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the input. Actually I wasn't considering getting one, I am content with my power for now. If I were to go for more, I would go straight for a higher capacity turbo.

My interest is more academic. With so many jetters with them, I was hoping a few people had tested them on the dyno with various mod combinations.

I can understand how making the car feel more responsive would be desireable even without a power gain. Although a small turbo and a light flywheel does that pretty well too.

QC edit

[ 09-13-2002, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: Welding Rod ]

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
WeldingRod, my opinion is that I don't think they make more power, it's more about throttle response. Some people feel that if they get more response their car is faster...

Frankly, I haven't seen many dyno charts showing more power, but I have seen an aweful lot of comments like "Yo Dawg, this TB is the shizzy. It gives so much power, you have to be careful you don't spin your wheels when you don't want to, or hit the cars in front of you cause soon as you touch it the car just jumps."

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">blablabla yadayadayada

Damn, i almost wanna send you mine to test out for free, not that im saying its the kind of all mods or something, but it is a nice addition and is pretty fun to drive...

Its like talking about flywheels...

if you want it to rev faster, just hit the pedal faster and farther you know? U cant say stuff like that

For example, im not sure how to explain it but when i had to go back to stock for a week or so, it was a complete different feeling, i felt TOTALLY awkward driving the car, like i had to be more carefull cause i was used to the car responding faster, NO P< its not the same as pushing the gas pedal faster

Lets do a race, put a stock focus next to a stock focus W/ TB and hit the gas pedal the same exact way and see the difference...then hit them both harder like you say, there is still a difference, on the stock TB, there feels like a 1 second delay or something, sort of like a clutch for a clutch type of thing on the TB....with the FC one, or another like TB< it just does what you want when you want, i think it would actually be great for autoX or tracks, because you take a corner, and gotta hit it real quick and then get off for the next one, you will get ALOT quicker response with the aftermarket one

BUt you just gotta try it its hard to explain man...im by no means praising the TB as the best of the best mods, but again, its just better to drive

PS>>> And we DID dyno it, a few times, mostly stock cars, gave about 2-4whp, mainly in the mid 3hp range, starting from the midrange and up...

[ 09-14-2002, 01:07 AM: Message edited by: nazthug ]

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Originally posted by Bimmerman9:
the TB isn't about hp it's about throttle response . with the OE TB you have to have the pedal about half way down for the throttle plate to actually open enough to feel moderate acceleration but with the aftermarket and a lot of other manufaturer's (honda, bmw , etc. ) with their's you feel the accel as soon as you come off of closed throttle. SO BUDDY THE AFTERMARKET TB'S ARE REALLY ABOUT THROTTLE RESPONSE.

Actually i've heard from some people that this mod was one of the most noticeable mods
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">ALSO, Quoting Naz....
" i think it would actually be great for autoX or tracks, because you take a corner, and gotta hit it real quick and then get off for the next one, you will get ALOT quicker response with the aftermarket one"
So what this tells ME, as a Left-Foot-Braker, is that I needn't waste my money....
I've already got my foot most of the way in the throttle most of the time anyway, so the "Tip-In" is a non-issue, since I'm PAST that point. I use a balance of the brakes, and SLIGHT throttle modulation to set up for corners.
So, in MY case, it looks like the T/B would be a waste. I was hoping it would give more power.
If "Throttle-Response" is all it gives, then I'M not interested, since, once I'm off the line, my foot is buried more often than not anyway....PAST the point of the "Tip-In" that the aftermarket T/B from ANY company seems to solve.

·
Registered
997 Posts
"Yo Dawg, this TB is the shizzy...... you have to be careful you don't spin your wheels when you don't want to, or hit the cars in front of you"

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">LMAO! sounds like about half of the product reviews i hear on here!!!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I like my TB... was it worth the $? probably not... the acceleration responce is nice, but mainly it's just pretty and blue

·
Registered
411 Posts
Isn't that 03 Focus suppose to have an improve TB? Anyone test drive one yet?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Considering most bolt-on are around the same price as the TB and the few dynos I have seen [which showed 3-5 hp increase in the top end]show a just about as much gain as any other bolt on. I'd say it's worth it as much as a cat-back or intake is.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Originally posted by Generic Focus:
Considering most bolt-on are around the same price as the TB and the few dynos I have seen [which showed 3-5 hp increase in the top end]show a just about as much gain as any other bolt on. I'd say it's worth it as much as a cat-back or intake is.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Did they actually show an increase?
Most people are only reporting increased quickness of response,....NOT more actual power...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts