Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I do not care about the insulating propertes of spacers. Runner length is what I want to increase...that's it. In my 3.8, 1/2 inch TB to intake and intake to cyliner head spacers would add approx 13 wtq, giving an 8% increase. This has been shown not to be the effect of the insulation properties of phenolic but from the increased runner length. These cars are NOT carbed or TBI, they use a SEFI system just like a focus. I did a search and it seems like no one has tried this on foci, has anyone worked on G10 phenolic and would be willing to make spacers for cost of materials? If they will, I will pay for the friggin things to try it on my own car. I will butt-dyno the darned things on my bone-stock car, and with 38000 miles of familiarity i think i'll have a pretty good idea of whether or not they work. I'd say an 8% increase in TQ for 100 bucks would be the most ridiculously cost effective ting to improve low end tq that anyone on this board has ever even dreamt of.

·
Registered
329 Posts
hey, I have a friend that is making an aluminum one for my car...he hasnt got it to me yet though. I am only putting it on so that my throttle body will fit correctly on to my manifold. (bought the ford racing intake but the throttle body wont open all the way because it hits the manifold, so the spacer will give me the clearance I need)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Between throttle body and plenium or mani and head?

·
Registered
329 Posts
oh...between the tb and the manifold...I wouldnt want to try one between the manifold to head, I would be too affraid of it affecting the fuel...it would make a longer path for the fuel to go, possibly causing it to puddle in the intake...thus making back fire very very bad

haha I could just picture one of the stock plastic intakes blowing into a million little pieces

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha, yah...the difference was we had two piece metal intakes, so we could sandwich the spacer in between the two halves of the intake instead of between intake and head...altho i hear that either way results in a similar effect

·
Registered
84 Posts
Summit has a TB spacer for $99.95. It's made by Motorvation. Item # MVC-5228. For 2001-02 Zetec. I hope that's what you're looking for!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Well... hes not going run a longer intake runner hes running a bigger plenium witha spacer which any style of zetec manifold needs besides the FR. The reason everyone who wants real power should buy an aftermarket manifold is simple. The 23 inch runners on the stock manifold and wayyy to long. A long length creates velocity with less airflow which translates into low end torque. A short length creates a alot of airflow with a lower velocity. Intake runner length is probably the largest contributer of where your torque lies in the engine. Cams headers head work compression or anything else doesnt have near the impact that intake runners do on a percent basis. So what your really doing is improving the flow chartaristics with a 2000 manifold and keeping the high low end torque of the engine. With the FR manifold the runners are about 27% shorter. So as a result your torque curve is moved up about 30%. Peak torque numbers on the zetec are made at 3000 rpms now. That gives you a peak torque at 4000 and everything above 4000 you gain torque at. All in all you come out with a car that is weaker below 2000 rpms (i dont drive there anyways) 2000-3000 unnoticable from the 2000 manifold to FR in comparison and every where above 3000 (3000-8000) is going to be much stronger.. I think its a good deal

·
Registered
402 Posts
I made a 1/2 inch throttle body spacer and installed it on my car. The car reacts differently from 2k to 3.5k. More torque. As for runner length on our stock cars. the runner length is just fine the problem is the restricted runner size. they dont have good flow dynamics. DID any one read the manifold comparison In the HCI magazine? They made a manifold with the same runner lengths as a bone stock 2001, but increased the tube size. With increasing the tube volume they gained 14hp near redline compaired to a stock mani. that same manifold under boost it gained 35hp compaired to a stock 2001 under boost.
so they concluded that our motors like the long runners, they just need more volume. this info is in the DECEMBER 2002 issue. good stuff.
im goin to try a 1 inch spacer tonight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts